1 muscle group per day or multiple?

Alex Gurevich

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know this is a century old debate, but wanted to get some input. I lift about 3-4 times a week.

3 options i'm considering

Option 1 (what I currently do):
Monday - chest
Wens - bis
Fri - shoulders
Sun - tris and legs
I do about 7 to 8 exercises for each muscle group, 3 sets 10 reps

Option 2:
All muscles each day same 4 days a week, say 2 to 3 exercises 3 sets 10 reps each

Option 3:
Combine 2 muscle groups into each day. About 4 to 5 exercises for each muscle group, 3 sets 10 reps

Goal wise I'd like to build muscle as well as increase muscle endurance for MMA. What are the positives and negatives of each?

Unless you are bodybuilding for competitions, one body part per day is a little silly.

I prefer full body workouts 3 days a week but with different exercises. If you are doing isolated workouts, if you miss a day, you are pretty much screwed. With full body workouts, you're still getting everything in.

That's not to say that you can't get good results going isolated but unless you are super dedicated, never miss a day and really want to work on certain muscles, I wouldn't do it.

Also doing tris on a Sunday then chest on Monday doesn't seem that sensible to me ?

You'll get more out of doing an upper/lower or 3 day split. Dedicated bicep days and the like are a waste of your time.

Why do you have a biceps day!?! Wtf.

PUSH / PULL / PUSH / PULL 4 x / week

or

UPPER / LOWER / UPPER / LOWER 4 x / week

This is what I do:

5/3/1

Squat + Core

Bench + Chin Ups

Deadlift + Core

Press + Chin Ups

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Bodyweight version with 1 joker set + 1 AMRAP set

Bro Splits like you detailed in your initial post seem like a good way to stay sore as fuck with lack luster gains due to how infrequently you hit everything. Upper/lower, push/pull, or full body workouts are likely going to yield better results.

I never really understood body building style training for MMA though(3 sets of 10 reps). I guess if you wanna be jacked and make yourself tired quicker in a fight then go for it. If you plan on competing then finding a natural weight that you can maintain with good endurance and strength will take you further than bigger gunz.

A bit concerned about the lack of balance with chest and back.

I do mma as a hobby at this point.
Okay so you are saying you work back once every 2 weeks ?

No, I work it as much as any other muscle. I do 1 muscle group every other day, so the full rotation just takes 9 days

I never really understood body building style training for MMA though(3 sets of 10 reps). I guess if you wanna be jacked and make yourself tired quicker in a fight then go for it. If you plan on competing then finding a natural weight that you can maintain with good endurance and strength will take you further than bigger gunz.

My competition days for the most part are over, I just train for fun now, aside from bjj tourney once a year (and I do 30+ now, I have good enough cardio to do well there lol) I would like a balance between bodybuilding and muscle endurance for various sports I do. In my mid 20s MMA performance is all I cared about, those days are gone. So yes for lack of a better term I do want me to jacked as well. My question was asking what type of workout is optimal to achieve both.

TS, seriously I think you need to do some more research and read the FAQ. The one day for bis alone gave that away.

For a quick answer to what you are looking for, I'd recommend HIIT circuits for what you are looking for.

Focus on compound movements not on individual muscles, leave bodybuilding splits to bodybuilders.

I know this is a century old debate, but wanted to get some input. I lift about 3-4 times a week.

3 options i'm considering

Option 1 (what I currently do):
Monday - chest
Wens - bis
Fri - shoulders
Sun - tris and legs
I do about 7 to 8 exercises for each muscle group, 3 sets 10 reps

Option 2:
All muscles each day same 4 days a week, say 2 to 3 exercises 3 sets 10 reps each

Option 3:
Combine 2 muscle groups into each day. About 4 to 5 exercises for each muscle group, 3 sets 10 reps

Goal wise I'd like to build muscle as well as increase muscle endurance for MMA. What are the positives and negatives of each?

Bro-Splits like this are only really useful for Bodybuilders who don't have any other goal than hypertrophy. And even then, unless you can be sure to never miss a workout, they are less than optimal. If you're training MMA as well, even as a hobbiest, working individual body parts on separate days is a terrible idea.

Upper/Lower or Push/Pull Splits are far more efficient. If you don't want to make up your own routine, there are several programs available online; 5/3/1, Juggernaut, The Cube etc. You should be able to find links in the FAQ.

I do push, pull, legs. Although I’ve been known to skip a leg day now and again.

I do push, pull, legs. Although I’ve been known to skip a leg day now and again.

That was my split to a T (skipped a few leg days lol) but now I just go upper/lower/rest/repeat. Helped with the injuries and busted through some plateaus, finally got full ROM on squats after 20+ years

Back