Yoel Romero plans lawsuit against Illinois State Athletic Commission

It does sound like the commission fucked him over. He didn't win the fight though, but he is still out like $120k.

when your plan is to weight in a 186 to get 2 extra hours to cut weights you need to check your priority in life

Well, it is actually written in their rules and regulations. So he might have a point.

"Contestants who fail to make the weight for their designated weight class shall be given up to 2 hours to make required weight. Any contestant who fails to make the weight shall not be allowed to compete unless both contestants consent to participate in the scheduled bout at an acceptable catch weight per section III (C) (3)"

https://www.idfpr.com/Forms/DPR/MixedMartialArtsConsultingRulesandRegs.pdf (page 13)

'Up to 2 hours'.

I don't think he has a case tbh.

Though as someone else pointed out, if it was a perceived health issue that caused them (the commission) to end the weight cut early, then the fight probably should have been cancelled.

What a dumb, stupid thing to say. Had to say both of those for emphasis. Want to see what happens if an MMA fighter drops dead from a weight cut because the commission didn't monitor their health?

Politicians will get involved like they did in the early 2000's and fucking legislate MMA out of existence, like they nearly did.

The commission followed its own rules. Yoel should've been a professional and made weight. He toed the line, and got fucked. Good on the commission.
Well said. The commission has to protect themselves, and err on the side of caution.

Why do something so risky that takes the control out of your hands for a TITLE FIGHT?!?!

Was this Yoel's idea or his manager. If it wasn't his idea he should just fire the manager. If it was Yoel's idea then he should have at least tried to weigh-in standing on one leg again.

He should have gotten off the stool sooner?

Or is that passed the stool sooner?

Anyways, he should have pushed down on the towel.

I mean, if their account of the situation is accurate, he should. But I'm not going to rush to judgment claiming these are the most credible people in the game.
It’s sounds like they had every intention for him to miss weight on the first try. There has got to be something in the fighters contract that says he/she can’t do that, right?

If that is the case then I think deserves to lose his money. Maybe every more because he cheated

Just a small fine for the extra hours would be better, not for the final weight miss, but the chance to extend weigh-in period.

Well I just think out the box to stop people playing the game trying get extra time to make it easier on their selves. You always going have people try use the system up. Kind like the trt thing, no 26 year old needs trt not going say Duffy! name lol.

Why you think they should get any if they miss it after the two hrs, just asking?

I mean, if their account of the situation is accurate, he should. But I'm not going to rush to judgment claiming these are the most credible people in the game.

I'm holding my judgement until I hear from Dana himself... - the opposite of what will say will be the truth.

I think fighters need to start sending a message to these commissions...to stay out of it...let the fighter do what he has to do to make weight...mind your business...more fighters need to do this...commissions might be far less eager to step in next time..
Make weight the first time and commission has no say.

Romero is fighting back against injustice and tyranny.

The corrupt commissions needs to be investigated for racism against Romero for not allowing him the standard 2 hours to try and make weight after he missed it by 0.2 pounds which he is now launching a lawsuit against.

Romero will drain the swamp against the corrupt commissions that plague MMA.

It’s sounds like they had every intention for him to miss weight on the first try. There has got to be something in the fighters contract that says he/she can’t do that, right?

If that is the case then I think deserves to lose his money. Maybe every more because he cheated
Well, their story seems to be that they intended for him to be on weight, on time until they were told by the Athletic Commission that he would get the extra 2 hours, at which point they told him to relax and cut more slowly so as not to wear himself out. If that's accurate, it was fucked up for the AC to renege when (again, according to Romero's team) two doctors (1 AC, 1 UFC) and an EMT signed off on him continuing to cut. But who knows if it's actually true. Also, at the end of the day, the commission makes the decision whether he can continue, not the doctors. It's hardly cheating, just stupid strategy based on expecting the AC to not do whatever they feel like in the moment.

Well, their story seems to be that they intended for him to be on weight, on time until they were told by the Athletic Commission that he would get the extra 2 hours, at which point they told him to relax and cut more slowly so as not to wear himself out. If that's accurate, it was fucked up for the AC to renege when (again, according to Romero's team) two doctors (1 AC, 1 UFC) and an EMT signed off on him continuing to cut. But who knows if it's actually true. Also, at the end of the day, the commission makes the decision whether he can continue, not the doctors. It's hardly cheating, just stupid strategy based on expecting the AC to not do whatever they feel like in the moment.
Still that is no reason for him to just stop trying to make weight on the first try. Even if he was told he would have extra time IF he missed weight.

You’re right, the strategy was incredibly dumb. Yoel didn’t make weight in his last fight either, why the hell wouldn’t he make damn sure that he was going to make weight on the first attempt? Repeat offended should get no leniency.

It is kinda fucked up that they didn’t give him the full 2 hours though. AC always do shit like this now. It’s starting to seem like the norm.

Don't really care about the lawsuit either way, but he is right he won the fight.

If Romero hadn't missed weight in his last fight as well he might actually get a bit of sympathy...

Why isn't it professional to get the extra attempt? What kind of logic is that. It doesn't matter if you make the weight in one or two attempts, it's within the rules and professional. Nobody whined about Kevin Lee when he needed the second attempt to make weight. It doesn't matter.
Of course it does. Especially when they found Romero unfit to continue cutting.

He is using lawyers again to get it like he wants it. Lets see if it helps this time..

I don’t understand how it benefits Yoel to miss weight the first time on purpose. Sure he gets a little more time but that’s a couple more hours of complete agony while your opponent is rehydrating and eating.

They already talked too much tho...Seems like they said they were planning missing weight first, then taking the 2 extra hours, now, its not rare that the comission stops weight cuts, they stopped Holloway and pulled him from the fight, they stopped Heather Hardy from making weight in NY, just an AC being an AC, next time make weight withing the rules, dont try to bend it like Romero always does.
How is using time that is allotted to you under the rules bending the rules...?

The jury was gonna rule in Yoels favor by the end of the second hour but the judge came in and told them they had to come to a veredict immediately

<21>

Ha ha inception, but can we go deeper?

Well, it is actually written in their rules and regulations. So he might have a point.

"Contestants who fail to make the weight for their designated weight class shall be given up to 2 hours to make required weight. Any contestant who fails to make the weight shall not be allowed to compete unless both contestants consent to participate in the scheduled bout at an acceptable catch weight per section III (C) (3)"

https://www.idfpr.com/Forms/DPR/MixedMartialArtsConsultingRulesandRegs.pdf (page 13)

Up to. Not will be given 2 hours. Up to 2 hours, which means the legal reading of that means that's the max not the min.

See this is what I don't get as I'm no expert at weight cutting. The plan was to always miss weight and utilise those 2 extra hours.

Wouldn't it be better for the fighter to make weight first time so he can utilise the extra time to dehydrate and eat rather than miss weight and lose another 2 hours to cutting and feeling like shit. 7

As much as I’m not a Yoel fan, I can’t blame him for planning to use those two hours. I mean, is there any rule that says you can’t use them? If you don’t want anyone use the extra hours, then get rid of them completely. Once the rules say so, you can’t fucking stop someone from taking advantage of them.

Back