Was Greg Hardy really that popular in American Football?

why so? look at all the elite athletes in soccer, they are manlets, i mean ffs they had to give messi growth hormone to get to manlet size from dwarf size. Rugby players are close to NFL size but lack the speed, field vision and brains of american elites, hence why guys who have tried crossing over never make the teams. We will see what happens with Jordan Mailata this year, he is coming in as a lineman though so doesn't have to worry about the field vision as much.

Why? Because the US isn’t even in the top 10 of tallest nations.

You think that footballers are generally the size of Messi? No, that’s why insecure people like to bring up his height.

And it’s an absolute joke to imply that possibly the best footballer ever is ‘unathletic’ because of his height. Especially when footballers on average run further and faster than their American counterparts. Yeah, American footballers will generally be bigger, which doesn’t simpy translate to being more ‘athletic’.
And this makes complete sense because they are too vastly different sports, for example American footballers don’t have to run as far, where the increased body weight would obviously be a problem, and they also actively bash into each other.

The ‘best’ rugby players aren’t going to be crossing over to American football, so that isn’t really a good representation, not to mention that there are British players in the NFL despite the sport having like zero traction in the UK.

For some people athleticism simply translates to big guy that can run short distances.

If there were more than a few people in the UK over 6'2 it might be more popular there.

Curious, it’s interesting that the average height in the uk is taller than the us.
I’m guessing that you haven’t ever made it out of your state.

but in Dallas or Carolina I am sure he was known when he was out in public.

Oh. That's more than UFC champion can say about himself. That's popularity...

He played for the Dallas Cowboys so that instantly makes him a known guy.
He wasn't a huge superstar though. He isn't JJ Watt or Von Miller.

He played for the Dallas Cowboys so that instantly makes him a known guy.
He wasn't a huge superstar though. He isn't JJ Watt or Von Miller.

I read that Dallas Cowboys is the 2nd most expensive sports club in the world, after Manchester United

So he's used to huge paydays, huh? Interesting - no way he gets it grom the UFC, otherwise they would never put him on DWTNCS.

Looks like he's desperate...

he's like Richie Incognito. he was good enough that some (but not all) hardcore NFL fans knew who he was, but almost no non hardcore NFL fans did, until the controversy.

and then after their respective controversies, all NFL and most ESPN watching sports fans knew them.

my guess is you (TS) have never heard of Richie Incognito either.

but even before the controversy, Hardy was exponentially more well known for his NFL career than Mitrione.
~~~
but the excitement isn't about Hardy the individual. it's about any better-than-most NFL player migrating to NFL. huge strong dude who has proven he's a great athlete and can work out hard comes to MMA? what's not to like (other than the controversy, of course).

in the 1970's and prior, the biggest strongest most athletic Samoa's all went to rugby. in the 80's they started going to American Football, because of the college scholarship, and potential for a big NFL payday. today, Samoan rugby suffers. that's what money can do. if some of these guys go to MMA, it can only improve the sport. not my best comparison ever, but i hope you get the gist.

Last edited:
he's like Richie Incognito. he was good enough that some (but not all) hard core NFL fans knew who he was, but almost nonon hard core NFL fans did, until the controversy.

my guess is you (TS) have never heard of Richie Incognito either.

Sapp was well known for his college career, Mitrione wasn't. Hardy was exponentially more well known for his NFL career than either.
~~~
but the excitement isn't about Hardy the individual. it's about any better-than-most NFL player migrating to NFL. huge strong dude who has proven he's a great athlete and can work out hard comes to MMA? what's not to like (other than the controversy, of course).

in the 1970's and prior, the biggest strongest most athletic Samoa's all went to rugby. in the 80's they started going to American Football, because of the college scholarship, and potential for a big NFL payday. today, Samoan rugby suffers. that's what money can do. if some of these guys go to MMA, it can only improve the sport. not my best comparison ever, but i hope you get the gist.
There’s no money in mma though, at least not readily available for anyone but a few of the best fighters. Now boxing at the top is better than mma at the top so I would go there.

Why? Because the US isn’t even in the top 10 of tallest nations.

You think that footballers are generally the size of Messi? No, that’s why insecure people like to bring up his height.

And it’s an absolute joke to imply that possibly the best footballer ever is ‘unathletic’ because of his height. Especially when footballers on average run further and faster than their American counterparts. Yeah, American footballers will generally be bigger, which doesn’t simpy translate to being more ‘athletic’.
And this makes complete sense because they are too vastly different sports, for example American footballers don’t have to run as far, where the increased body weight would obviously be a problem, and they also actively bash into each other.

The ‘best’ rugby players aren’t going to be crossing over to American football, so that isn’t really a good representation, not to mention that there are British players in the NFL despite the sport having like zero traction in the UK.

For some people athleticism simply translates to big guy that can run short distances.

faster? lol the fastest soccer player in the world would be one of the slowest players on a football field. for Example Ronaldo has recorded a 3.61s 25m dash, extrapolating out to a 40y dash (which is what NFL players run) would put him at around 4.6 to 4.7, by comparison, offensive lineman Brian O'Neill ran a 4.82. For a skill position ronaldo would be near the bottom of the barrel for 40 yard times.

this is brian o'neil 6'7", 297lb
0ap3000000918723_video_player_cp.jpg

No one really cared until the assault alligations. He was a good player but not anything that resembled a superstar.

He was an All-Pro, definitely a superstar at his position.

There’s no money in mma though, at least not readily available for anyone but a few of the best fighters. Now boxing at the top is better than mma at the top so I would go there.
no there isn't. and that's why folks are so exciting that a very good NFL player is trying MMA.

i'm not saying this is a game changer. to take my bad comparison one step further, he is no Junior Seau, with legions of others following in his footsteps. it's just that it's excitement inducing.

Last edited:
Reggie White (the only other defensive I know ) did 21, right? I don't even know what it sack in AF is, but it means that White was very very good right?

Arguably the best ever at his position.

His odds at succeeding in boxing are extremely low compared to mma where his size and athleticism alone when paired with grappling (let’s assume tackle football helps with takedowns) and 5 ounce gloves (punchers Chance vs boxing gloves)

Oh and here we are comparing the best college soccer players to the best college football players:
<{Heymansnicker}>

2017 MLS Combine Vertical Jump top 10
1. Chris Odoi-Atsem Maryland D 36.5
2. Miles Robinson Syracuse D 34.5
Jakob Nerwinski UConn D 34.5
4. Niko Hansen New Mexico F 33.5
5. Marcus Epps USF F 32.5
Nick Depuy UCSB F 32.5
Jonathan Lewis Akron M 32.5
8. Guillermo Delgado Delaware F 32
9. Aaron Jones Clemson D 31
Ethan Kutler Colgate F 31

NFL Combine Vertical Jump top 10
STERRELL EDMUNDSVIRGINIA TECH

TEMIKE GESICKIPENN ST.

SJOSHUA KALUNEBRASKA

OLBMATTHEW THOMASFLORIDA ST

STROY APKEPENN ST.

RBSAQUON BARKLEYPENN ST

SIRAN NEALJACKSONVILLE ST

CBCHANDON SULLIVANGEORGIA STATE

WRD.J. CHARKLSU

SDERWIN JAMESFLORIDA ST.

RBKERRYON JOHNSONAUBURN

RBBO SCARBROUGHALABAMA

He played for America's team aka the Dallas Cowboys. A moniker that can't be taken away...sorry haters.

NFL fans are funny though. CTE/Brain Damage and domestic abuse = silent. Silent National Anthem protest = OUTRAGE! Hahaha funny because it's not funny.

Brain damage in combination with steroid use.

The slowest? You’re living in an absolute dream world, and that’s not even bringing cardio in to it hahaha.

‘‘The NFL's Fastest Players:
(Note: Take these with a grain of salt, because most of these times were from a dead start, requiring the runner time to get up to full speed.)

Dri Archer, RB (2014) — 4.26 seconds or an average of 30.9 km/hr

Chris Johnson, RB (2008) — 4.24 seconds or an average of around 31.05 km/hr

The fastest-ever recorded time at the NFL Combine actually belongs to Bo Jackson, but his was in the era before digital timekeeping and his outrageous 40-yard time is shrouded in mystery (check out this great article from Freelap breaking down Bo Jackson's legendary run). Skeptics often cite the lack of digital timekeeping as a major issue when comparing time from the pre- and post-eras. That said, here's how Jackson clocked in:

Bo Jackson, RB – 4.12 seconds or an average of 31.95 km/hr

So, now that we have the fastest NFL players, let's see how fast the world's greatest soccer players are in comparison.

The World's Fastest Footballers:
Arjen Robben (2014) — top speed of 37 km/hr during the 2014 World Cup match between the Netherlands and Spain. In this 5-1 dismanteling of the former World Cup champions, Robben of the Netherlands clocked the fastest speed every recorded by a footballer.

Theo Walcott (Arsenal) — top speed of 35.7 km/hr

Antonio Valencia (Manchester United) — top speed of 35.1 km/hr

Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) — top speed of 34.7 km/hr

Aaron Lennon (Tottenham) — top speed of 33.8 km/hr

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) — top speed of 33.6 km/hr

Lionel Messi (Barcelona) — top speed of 32.5 km/hr’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/the18.com/news/whose-football-fastest-are-european-or-nfl-players-faster?amp

That article is trash lol, you are comparing electronically timed NFL combine from a dead stop and only 40 yards total, to running start calculated by using the video for distance a stop watch. utter garbage. of course their averg km/hr will be slower if it's from a dead stop you dumbass.

Last edited:
That article is trash lol, you are comparing electronically timed NFL combine from a dead stop and only 40 yards total, to running start calculated by using the video for distance a stop watch. utter garbage. of course their averg km/hr will be slower if it's from a dead stop you dumbass.
The qualifier was noted dumbass, and well done if an NFL player could be 0.1 of a second faster when running 40 fucking yards hahaha.

Footballers actually have to have endurance as well as explosiveness.

The qualifier was noted dumbass, and well done if an NFL player could be 0.1 of a second fastest when running 40 fucking yards hahaha.

.1 faster? wtf are you talking about

If you want to use that shitty way to measure then compare to in game speeds of players, note, this is with pads and carrying the ball, so it would be even faster in soccer gear LOL
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...hill-desean-jackson/kyiv7jxdwbyk1efeni8z4np01

Tyreek Hill - 37.4 km/hr
Desean Jacking 36.4 km/hr
Holton 35.7 km/hr

Those three alone just randomly selected from one year are faster than the 6 FASTEST EVER soccer players you posted, absolute joke. Nearly every skill position in the NFL can hit 22m/h at top speed which is 35 km/h

.1 faster? wtf are you talking about

If you want to use that shitty way to measure then compare to in game speeds of players, note, this is with pads and carrying the ball, so it would be even faster in soccer gear LOL
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...hill-desean-jackson/kyiv7jxdwbyk1efeni8z4np01

Tyreek Hill - 37.4 km/hr
Desean Jacking 36.4 km/hr
Holton 35.7 km/hr

It’s not hard to bust your load in game when you only do it like twice in the entire 3 hour match.

It’s not hard to run that fast in game when you only do it like twice in the entire 3 hour match.
keep moving the goal post, soccer players like ronaldo spend over 75% of the match walking around or jogging and he literally sprints as many times as a running back or wide receiver who average 1.5 miles per game of SPRINTING FULL SPEED. nearly every skill position player in the NFL (running back, wide receivers, defensive backs) can hit 22 mph top speed which is 35.4 km/h.

Back