US, Mexico, and Canada to Co-Host 2026 World Cup

Cool, the stadiums are there for all 3 countries plus logistics.
There is going to be minimum expenses for all 3 hosts ( no new stadiums or buildings).
Plenty of hotels to host a shit load of people, lots of tourist attractions.
This is probably the first world cup where the host or hosts in this case are actually going to make some money from it .
FIFA should just host the world cup here all the time and stop bankrupting every hosting country.

Lol. They already have the stadiums
There are certain requirements they may have had to meet during the bid process. That is certain stadiums may not be up to standards required by FIFA or compared to other cities/regions bidding . Soccer stadiums are very different from other stadiums . You may need to retrofit the stadium to properly accommodate soccer fans. See the London 2012 stadium as an example of this.

Unless they want to upgrade the surrounding infrastructure and create additional venues (restaurants/hotels and such) to accommodate the sudden increase in tourism. Most of these place are already built for tourism though. Traffic is already a bitch so we'll just complain a bit more...
Infrastructure is almost guaranteed to be upgraded . Any new stadium or mega event (if it's a one off) will have improved and/or new infrastructure to go with it .

The tourism issue regarding sustained economic impact is that these events don't induce repeat tourism. That means you're stuck using the initial round of tourism to get enough EI to make up for the cost of the event

From the US perspective I wonder how much of the bid the US covered compared to Mexico/Canada

Europe should have a World Cup before these countries. They've hosted only one this century. Africa should have one before these North American countries too. Those continents have a lot more tradition and passion for the sport.

Mexico is fine, but USA and Canada shouldn't get to host it before others. Those countries have no football history. Their crowds are the worst with no passion. For them it's just a fad.

They're ALL bribed and won...

There is a huge football scene in Toronto.

World cup time is always crazy here.

Too many dates held in 3rd world countries not qualified to host these games. The US should just host the entire thing.

Infrastructure is almost guaranteed to be upgraded . Any new stadium or mega event (if it's a one off) will have improved and/or new infrastructure to go with it .

The tourism issue regarding sustained economic impact is that these events don't induce repeat tourism. That means you're stuck using the initial round of tourism to get enough EI to make up for the cost of the event

From the US perspective I wonder how much of the bid the US covered compared to Mexico/Canada

We have all the stadiums we need to cover any and all events for the World Cup. Philadelphia alone has 3 large stadiums right next to each other (baseball, football, hockey/basketball/whatever) for example.

So yeah... most large cities are already set up to handle a huge influx of people (or are used lots of traffic and shit)...

We have all the stadiums we need to cover any and all events for the World Cup. Philadelphia alone has 3 large stadiums right next to each other (baseball, football, hockey/basketball/whatever) for example.

So yeah... most large cities are already set up to handle a huge influx of people (or are used lots of traffic and shit)...
Again, you're ignoring that those large stadiums aren't fit for soccer. Do new stadiums need to be built? No .Do they need to be properly fitted for soccer? Yes. Example London Stadium (2012) became the home of West Ham United . London got convinced (swindled) into paying about $250M to properly fit the stadium for soccer. The stadiums here would need removable retrofitting to properly accommodate soccer and then convert back to their primary use . It likely isn't as much as the London Stadium cost wise but still a cost with how many stadiums (at least in the US) will need to be changed .

Anytime you want to keep talking out of your ass let me know .

So I wonder how much $$ the total bid cost, how much the bribe was, and how much money the us is giving Mexico/Canada for the necessary stadium and infrastructure improvements .

Studies have shown that one off mega events do not induce a lasting tourism effect and economically do not provide economic impact that surpasses the cost of hosting the mega event (this is especially evident once you factor in costs of bribes)

What necesary infrastrucutre and stadium improvements? Mexico receives tens of millions of tourists a year, it already has an 80k stadium (minimum final requirement) and a bunch of 50k+ stadiums for the rest of the games.

Its not Qatar where they had to build everything from the ground up.

Again, you're ignoring that those large stadiums aren't fit for soccer. Do new stadiums need to be built? No .Do they need to be properly fitted for soccer? Yes. Example London Stadium (2012) became the home of West Ham United . London got convinced (swindled) into paying about $250M to properly fit the stadium for soccer. The stadiums here would need removable retrofitting to properly accommodate soccer and then convert back to their primary use . It likely isn't as much as the London Stadium cost wise but still a cost with how many stadiums (at least in the US) will need to be changed .

Anytime you want to keep talking out of your ass let me know .

Most large stadiums in Mexico are soccer stadiums, the investment will be about zero. No need to build anything, Mexico already has 1 80k stadium (requirements for finals) and 2 60k+ stadiums (requirement for semis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Mexico

Mexico could host it alone tomorrow if it needed, we already did so when Colombia got theirs cancelled over narcoterrorism.

What necesary infrastrucutre and stadium improvements? Mexico receives tens of millions of tourists a year, it already has an 80k stadium (minimum final requirement) and a bunch of 50k+ stadiums for the rest of the games.

Its not Qatar where they had to build everything from the ground up.
I can't speak to Mexico's infrastructure but we're talking 8 years from now. The US' infrastructure due to use, abuse, and climate will certainly go through degradation during these 8 years where significant investments will be made in the surrounding areas to ensure that facilities are easily accessible for fans. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. As I said before, with any new stadium or mega event there are accompanying infrastructure improvments that go along with it . These improvements typically see monies siphoned from other areas that might need it more.

Also, areas that see mega events and new stadiums might not have a large pressing need for better infrastructure, however, governments are more likely to improve the infrastructure in an effort to roll out the red carpet so to speak for the event and fans

Awesome news!

"In a long-anticipated vote on Wednesday, the joint bid of the U.S., Mexico and Canada defeated Morocco, its only challenger, as 200 national soccer federations cast their ballots to cap FIFA's annual Congress.

The joint bid's plans call for 60 of the 80 games to be played in the United States -- including all matches from the quarterfinals onward -- while Canada and Mexico host 10 apiece. The final is expected to be played at MetLife Stadium, just outside New York."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...exico-canada-joint-bid-wins-fifa-hosting-vote
Terrible news.

I don't want that godawful world-leading body of corruption anywhere near our land. FIFA is a scourge, and this isn't good for Americans as a whole.

The travel times will be unbearable plus parts of the USA are too humid in the summer for a soccerball match. Unless this is just in California, BC, and Baja then I guess that can work.

If the Stanley Cup can have two games played in DC and then 2 games played in Vegas, all within the span of about a week, I don't see too much trouble with getting these soccer "groups" around at the end of each phase of the tournament.

Honestly, this is huge. People travel from all over the world, spend tons of money for the World Cup, and this has the opportunity to have about 8 different US cities have huge levels of tourism.

This tourney is not like a full season or a yoff. Its just one and done games and will be short. That is why Russia only using western Russia, and not showcasing the beauty of Siberia.

Europe should have a World Cup before these countries. They've hosted only one this century. Africa should have one before these North American countries too. Those continents have a lot more tradition and passion for the sport.

Mexico is fine, but USA and Canada shouldn't get to host it before others. Those countries have no football history. Their crowds are the worst with no passion. For them it's just a fad.

I agree, we don't give a shit. Why not give it to people who care?

It's like the Superbowl being played in Tokyo.

hopefully we can meet the esteemed standards set by Qatar

Why include Mexico, and Canada? Why Mexico and Canada not place their own bids?

Mexico already has the stadiums, I dont know what the hotel situation is like in the major cities with the big name teams though.

Canada can use the CFL stadiums, it wont be too hot, but again I dont know about the hotel situation in Calgary Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Sascathewan.

Here was a phenomenal article I came across earlier this week:
How some inside FIFA battled Russian influence and lost
ESPN said:
MOSCOW -- Miguel Maduro thought he'd landed a dream job with FIFA in May 2016. Soccer's governing body was a mess, reeling from a corruption scandal so big it led to more than a dozen U.S. federal indictments and the ousting of its longtime president, but that was precisely why the job thrilled Maduro.

The position, as chairman of FIFA's independent governance committee, married two things he loved: soccer and public and private accountability. A Portuguese judge, academic and politician who had taught at Yale, Maduro seemed a perfect fit to ensure sweeping reforms.

And when new president Gianni Infantino assured Maduro his committee would receive unfettered autonomy, Maduro gladly accepted the job. "He seemed very committed," Maduro says, "so I had no impression that he was a corrupt person or anything like that."

The impression was short-lived.

Within months, Maduro says, Infantino urged him to throw out the FIFA rulebook and do him a favor. Infantino seemed desperate, and the desperation centered around Russia, host of the 2018 World Cup.

Vitaly Mutko, a member of FIFA's powerful executive committee since 2009, was seeking re-election. Infantino didn't want any problems, but there were two: Mutko had just been elevated to become a Russian deputy prime minister, and FIFA rules mandated that government officials may not serve on the committee; also, Mutko was implicated in perhaps the biggest state-sponsored sports doping effort in history -- a scheme said to have included dozens of Russian soccer players.

Maduro and his colleagues saw no way Mutko should be allowed even to run for re-election. But Infantino and two top lieutenants seemed panicked about how the Russians might react to Mutko losing his spot, and they pleaded for an exception. The threat to Maduro was clear: Let Mutko be, or you'll be out of a job.

Maduro was stunned. Did Infantino really want to go down this path? Did he really want to undermine and render hollow his promises of a new, reformed FIFA? To what end? For Russia?

"It shouldn't be surprising to anybody that [Putin] would do everything he could to manipulate FIFA." Mike Morrell, a former acting director of the CIA
Over the course of the past year, ESPN's Outside the Lines traveled to Russia and several other countries to interview dozens of people -- from Russian sports officials to critics inside the country; from the lawyer who led the probe into doping at the Sochi Olympics to officials with ties to FIFA; from experts on President Vladimir Putin to former U.S. intelligence officers. OTL also reviewed more than 1,500 pages of documents related to Russia's World Cup bid and the doping scandal that has tainted the country's entire sports program.

What emerges, as the World Cup nears kickoff in 11 Russian cities, is the story of FIFA and other sports governing bodies repeatedly kowtowing to Russia despite evidence of widespread doping, computer hacking and allegations of bribery of sports officials. And it's the story of how those actions have fueled an unrelenting effort over the past decade to speed Russia's return to sporting superiority, from the Olympics to soccer to a range of minor sports.

"Sport is incredibly important to how the Russian people view their role in the world, and the power of the state, and how the nation is doing relative to other nations," says Michael Morrell, a former acting director of the CIA and an agency analyst for 30 years. "It shouldn't be surprising to anybody that [Putin] would do everything he could to manipulate FIFA"....
Follow the link and keep reading.

Keep this shit out of my country. Nobody can right that ship. John Oliver tried his damn best, and at the end of the day, it barely amounted to a dent. This organization is a poison that infects everything it touches.

hell yeah.

MetLife Stadium is about 8 mins away from my house (without traffic). I'll be looking to score some sweet tickets for whatever is available.

If I don't get any i'll look to rent my place out for the week or weekend. should score some good amount of money for it. i'll crash over at a buddy's place while I make that loot!...

You live in Bergen County brah. I grew up in Bergen County.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back