'The Wire' - It gets better after the 1st season, right?

got through 3 episodes and it seemed so dated... couldnt watch anymore. watch the shield , its much better

What dumbass show do u think holds up to The Sopranos and if you say Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, I'll smash ur face in.
None because every time I've tried to watch The Sopranos I end up turning it off and watching the two GOAT mob movies in The Godfather and Goodfellas.

The Wire is fucking genius, much like chess though, it's not for everyone.

yea Ziggy was awesome he was such a believable fuck up. the whole point of his arc was what happens to a punk kid when he fucks up and lacks a safety net add his his families ties to crime and his need to be a badass and how everything falls off the rails he is season 2s Wallace.

anyway Maui got lucky if zig was properly hydrated he would have dropped that fuck like a sack of potatoes.

I love The Wire, but I really did not find Ziggy's character believable at all. I thought he did a very poor job acting it tbh. The character could have been played far more subtle and got the point across.

None because every time I've tried to watch The Sopranos I end up turning it off and watching the two GOAT mob movies in The Godfather and Goodfellas.
Goodfellas might be the greatest movie of all time.
My friend tried to tell me that The Departed was better. No way

Goodfellas might be the greatest movie of all time.
My friend tried to tell me that The Departed was better. No way
The fact that Marky Mark, a total SIDE CHARACTER is the most well remembered character from that movie says a lot.

I liked the movie the first couple viewings but after about viewing 3 the only reason to watch is to watch Marky Mark shit all over Alec Baldwin's character every chance he gets.

I love The Wire, but I really did not find Ziggy's character believable at all. I thought he did a very poor job acting it tbh. The character could have been played far more subtle and got the point across.
I saw Generation Kill before The Wire and the dude that plays Ziggy is in it.

Every time I see Ziggy I don't see/hear Ziggy, I see/hear Persons.

The fact that Marky Mark, a total SIDE CHARACTER is the most well remembered character from that movie says a lot.

I liked the movie the first couple viewings but after about viewing 3 the only reason to watch is to watch Marky Mark shit all over Alec Baldwin's character every chance he gets.
It's a good movie but, when compared to Goodfellas, come on.
Is there any scene from The Departed where you can walk up to somebody and go "I'm funny how" and they instantly know what you're talking about?
No.
People who've never seen Goodfellas know where that's from.

Italians>Irish

It's a good movie but, when compared to Goodfellas, come on.
Is there any scene from The Departed where you can walk up to somebody and go "I'm funny how" and they instantly know what you're talking about?
No.
The thing for me personally that Goodfellas holds over Departed and most every other mob movie save for maybe Godfather 1 and 2 is that is that even though the movie is't 100% accurate... the main characters are real people that actually lived and existed.

Insecure kids putting on an ultra cocky persona seems realistic enough to me.

In terms of the OP what I would say is that whilst season one of the Wire is well liked it is definitely smaller scale that what follows and arguably more down to earth so if you dislike that aspect I can see you preferring the direction it goes in the 2nd and 3rd series. A bit less urban grit and a bit more larger than life characters and gangster action.

The thing for me personally that Goodfellas holds over Departed and most every other mob movie save for maybe Godfather 1 and 2 is that is that even though the movie is't 100% accurate... the main characters are real people that actually lived and existed.
That's what I said when I told my friend the same shit.
It's all real for the most part. The heist the people. Henry Hill actually has that real loud laugh that Ray Liotta does in the movie.

Insecure kids putting on an ultra cocky persona seems realistic enough to me.

In terms of the OP what I would say is that whilst season one of the Wire is well liked it is definitely smaller scale that what follows and arguably more down to earth so if you dislike that aspect I can see you preferring the direction it goes in the 2nd and 3rd series. A bit less urban grit and a bit more larger than life characters and gangster action.
The "cyclic" nature of life that that final montage of Season 5 shows hurts to see. Season 4 feels like a punch in the balls too even though Namon gets out from under his dad's shadow.

You see Bubbles leave the game behind but Dookie fall into his place and Michael replacing Omar.

That's what I said when I told my friend the same shit.
It's all real for the most part. The heist the people. Henry Hill actually has that real loud laugh that Ray Liotta does in the movie.
Godfather is still my favorite mob movie (1 and 2) probably because I saw it BEFORE I saw Goodfellas.

what didn't you believe about him
lets be real now you are just hating because dude was a heavyweight when it came to hanging dong

The Sopranos is far better than The Wire. It stands on its own. But back then they were both exceptional.

By 2018 standards I mean there are now have been several shows that are on that level. Sopranos still holds up, The Wire doesn’t.

Also, calm down.
LOL, the drama widely acclaimed as the greatest ever made "doesn't hold up". Hell, even those who agree with you, like Rolling Stone, don't put it below #2 (from late 2016):
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/100-greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time-w439520/breaking-bad-w439638
Didn't realize its reputation took such a hit in the past 24 months. Odd rollercoaster.

Or, you know, it could be the IMDb Female under-18 demographic vote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/ratings?ref_=ttep_ql_op_4
Screenshot-2018-6-13 The Wire (TV Series 2002–2008).png

As great as The Sopranos is, I always find myself asking, "What does it matter what a bunch of greaseballs in New Jersey are doing, anymore?" This isn't Godfather or Scarface. There's no greater story of immigration and its influence on culture-- such as the Cuban diaspora. You can say it's a metaphor for contemporary suburban life, and the degrading belief in the concept of America by Americans, but frankly, I've lived in the suburbs my whole life, and this isn't our story.

It's really just a brilliant study in a bunch of selfish rats. How is this the vital American story of the 21st century? Jersey Shore is a more relevant and honest portrayal of that modern culture. Seinfeld-- even better (if you move out the suburbs).

Meanwhile, The Wire is the refined magnum opus that told you #BLM was coming 25 fucking years before it happened, man. The Wire is the story of Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Oakland. It's the story of a deteriorating empire crippled by contiguous inequality woven masterfully into fascinating characters and very real stories/livelihoods at a microcosmic level. It demonstrates how this smaller problem ripples out, and changes the surface of the entire pond.

The Wire was the shit back when they made it but by 2018 standards it's a little dated in terms of acting, dialogue and all that stuff.

Like if they released it today it would be a total flop.
There isnt an evolution in acting and dialogue lol

I think the actors from the 50s were as good as present day

what didn't you believe about him
lets be real now you are just hating because dude was a heavyweight when it came to hanging dong

Well no doubt I'm jealous of the sick jacket he owned.

Most of us know a lot of wannabe big shots like that. I felt like his character was played out far too outlandish. I'm not even talking about his story line, but the way he portrayed the character. Everything was to the extreme. It just came off poorly to me. He didn't hit the nuances and subtle areas that would make the character far more believable. He basically played it like a caricature rather than a human being.

Lol, people are calling a show from the early 2000's dated? What kind of attention spans do you people have?

"Wat dis paigr thang dey be sennin texts on???"

I checked the Wire a long time ago, I had a hard time getting through season 2. I liked alot of characters but they just broke realism with me when the young white guy came into a place with a dancing duck, or it was just a duck on a leash. I was like wtf is this shit. The schoolkids brought the hype back for me and I liked seeing all of them progress and some regress.

You know he's based on a real person right?

According to Simon "The late, diminutive Bannion had a drinking duck with a diamond choker, exposed himself routinely and was once goaded to assault another dockworker three times his size, then tossed atop a container."

Geez, maybe I should have quoted more people.... Seems there's multiple people who don't find a real character believable.

Last edited:
Back