DNA Tests to find out about ancestry:

I got my results and here's what my DNA says about me. For the record I'm a Black guy and both my parents are African-American.

0.7% Neanderthal
77% Western Africa
5% Eastern Europe
4% Eastern Africa
3% Northwestern Europe
2% Northern Africa
2% North America & Andes
2% Jewish Diaspora

My Maternal DNA hails from West Africa and my Paternal line went from Africa into Southern Europe.

We used the National Geographic DNA test and we might do the Ancestry DNA test next.

reality check bro, you are jewish, report to your nearest sinagoge asap

I actually just checked the mail and got my kit from ancestryDNA and then saw this thread... My grandmother had one sent to me as a gift, I'm interested to see what it says as my mom remarried and I was adopted by my step-dad at a young age, grew-up always thinking I was half-Mexican but re-connected with my real dad after all of these years and found out his father was Cherokee. Should have the results in a few weeks.
So you are cheroxican?

I got my results and here's what my DNA says about me. For the record I'm a Black guy and both my parents are African-American.

0.7% Neanderthal
77% Western Africa
5% Eastern Europe
4% Eastern Africa
3% Northwestern Europe
2% Northern Africa
2% North America & Andes
2% Jewish Diaspora

My Maternal DNA hails from West Africa and my Paternal line went from Africa into Southern Europe.

We used the National Geographic DNA test and we might do the Ancestry DNA test next.

This can be helpful for a number of reasons, specifically the medicinal field. genetics-changing-understanding-of-race

Has anyone done this or know about it?

I have recently been looking into it for my wife, she was curious about her heritage.

The first one i heard of was 23 and me. It was $99 for just ancestry and $199 to also find out about genetic health, all the way to find out if there is baldness in your family.

I then started doing other researches and came across, ancestry dna, ancestry.com, myheritage, kincore.

any recommendations or just tips that you know or heard of

I done 23AndMe'd myself some 8 years ago. Some stuff was pretty useful like finding out I was 98% likely to be lactose intolerant, which made sense as I realized my respiratory issues came very often shortly after ingesting milk or yogurt. Also found out I have a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism (lmao no shit!). And some sad news, such as that I am whopping 10% Polish (at least I have an excuse for my mental... softness). My wife mentioned that to her mom, mom was like nope he ain't no Pole lmao, guess what moms, SORRY, I am.

Also apparently I don't have the genetic markers of an elite athlete (whoopidy-fucking-doo-dah). Other stuff was more mundane. My ear wax tends to be of average color (whatever that means).

I think it's useful overall. I paid $99

I done 23AndMe'd myself some 8 years ago. Some stuff was pretty useful like finding out I was 98% likely to be lactose intolerant, which made sense as I realized my respiratory issues came very often shortly after ingesting milk or yogurt. Also found out I have a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism (lmao no shit!). And some sad news, such as that I am whopping 10% Polish (at least I have an excuse for my mental... softness). My wife mentioned that to her mom, mom was like nope he ain't no Pole lmao, guess what moms, SORRY, I am.

Also apparently I don't have the genetic markers of an elite athlete (whoopidy-fucking-doo-dah). Other stuff was more mundane. My ear wax tends to be of average color (whatever that means).

I think it's useful overall. I paid $99

And due to the advancement of this field per the increase of data, references and algorithms, it is always being updated. Do you still have access to see updated information, and if so, has there been any significant changes to the data available?

And due to the advancement of this field per the increase of data, references and algorithms, it is always being updated. Do you still have access to see updated information, and if so, has there been any significant changes to the data available?

Good question - I do have access to the data but I need to check it to be able to tell of there were any significant changes. I think my main concerns were any potential predispositions towards neurodegenerative conditions and I haven't seen anything change on that front. That shit is my biggest fear tbh

Update...

I got my DNA test back from Ancestry DNA (my sister was jabbing me in the ribs to get it done to no end) and here are my results.

Both of my parents are African-American.

Ethnicity Estimate

Cameroon/Congo
32%
Ivory Coast/Ghana
18%

Benin/Togo
13%
Senegal
9%

Africa Southeastern Bantu
7%
Native American
3%

Great Britain
5%
Scandinavia
2%

Europe West
2%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers
2%

Nigeria
1%
Europe East
1%

Mali
1%
Europe South
<1%

Ireland/Scotland/Wales
<1%
Asia East
<1%
Melanesia
<1%

I didn't post the shareable image because it wouldn't give a complete breakdown.

I've done Ancestry, Family Tree and GEDMatch. If you care about your ancestry, they are interesting to use. I think ancestry.com is the easiest and most comprehensive to use.

The actual results will vary between sites and depends on their sample size and calculators. Don't take the results as gospel when you get them. You need to use the results + digging into your family tree to see where you came from and when.

Your autosomal DNA is basically all of your DNA combined from all of your parents and grandparents. People that say they are half X and half X, they usually are incorrect. You're going to have a bit of DNA from all of your grandparents and chances are you'll get some interesting results.

would be amazing if it's just a giant money scam and all the results are random haha

6% North- and Central America. Then there is a map which highlights the concentration mainly to the area between Mexico and United States (Arizona and Sonora). Then there is also a concentration in southern Mexico, close to the border to Guatemala. I'm not really sure what to make of it but perhaps I'm a distant relative of: @Rod1

Sometimes there is just no telling otherwise what we have in our background. It's certainly interesting to see what these tests come up with.

Has anyone done this or know about it?

I have recently been looking into it for my wife, she was curious about her heritage.

The first one i heard of was 23 and me. It was $99 for just ancestry and $199 to also find out about genetic health, all the way to find out if there is baldness in your family.

I then started doing other researches and came across, ancestry dna, ancestry.com, myheritage, kincore.

any recommendations or just tips that you know or heard of
I believe that’s a way for the man to capture every persons dna through trickery......

Update...

I got my DNA test back from Ancestry DNA (my sister was jabbing me in the ribs to get it done to no end) and here are my results.

Both of my parents are African-American.

Ethnicity Estimate

Cameroon/Congo
32%
Ivory Coast/Ghana
18%

Benin/Togo
13%
Senegal
9%

Africa Southeastern Bantu
7%
Native American
3%

Great Britain
5%
Scandinavia
2%

Europe West
2%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers
2%

Nigeria
1%
Europe East
1%

Mali
1%
Europe South
<1%

Ireland/Scotland/Wales
<1%
Asia East
<1%
Melanesia
<1%

I didn't post the shareable image because it wouldn't give a complete breakdown.
Interesting and it also looks like Ancestry is more detailed about which regions/countries people originates from, Family Tree DNA mainly put me in West Africa and Scandinavia but not countries.

I have also read about how some celebrities have traced their roots back to specific ethnic groups in West Africa and not just regions. Have you tried any of those?

would be amazing if it's just a giant money scam and all the results are random haha
It would be hilarious but it described my background pretty correct albeit I was quite surprised by 6% of the findings (New World). I knew that my mother is mainly Scandinavian but that she also have relatives from Eastern Europe and the test revealed just that.

I knew that my mother is of mixed European heritage but mostly Scandinavian and that it was likely that my father had some European ancestry due to colonialism but New World 6%? View attachment 393235
I uploaded my results to MyHeritage and they were a little different:

European 53,1% (Scandinavian 38,5%, Finnish 7%, 7,6% Scottish/Irish/Wales)
West-African 34,8% (Sierra Leone 17,5%, the rest Gambia/Nigeria)
East-African 4,4% (Kenya)
Asia 1% (Central Asia - mainly Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan)
Central-America 6,7%

<{katwhu}>

I'm as white as they come boys. Not even much Neanderthal in me.
breakdown.jpg

breakdown2.jpg

neaderthal.jpg

Holy shit, you better start apologizing bro.

A friend sent his in several months ago. Lo and behold, he discovered that he had a half-sister in Atlanta.

Nobody knew. His dad and the half-sister's mother were both oblivious to everything but the temporary on-the-road affair. They assumed she belonged to the mother's husband at the time (who was a deadbeat). The mom didn't sound that great either. My friend flew out to meet his sister, and apparently she basically raised herself and her younger brother without the help of this mom, and in fact, maybe in spite of her. It sounded like one of those broken families where the kid is more the parent than the parent. Anyways, she lives in a 6000 square foot home in Atlanta, so things worked out for her.

The funniest part? My friend's own mother threw his dad out. They've been divorced for decades. It's one of the most interesting relationships I've ever witnessed. She basically treats him like shit, and he pays for all her hobbies which she fancies to be a "business". They don't even seem to like each other, and there wasn't any apparent re-commitment to each other at the time she did it. Their cohabitation from the outside always appeared to be more a matter of convenience. I don't know what he gets out of it. They aren't a happy, old married couple, and never were. They didn't even seem to be a couple, at all.

Doesn't matter. 35 years later, and he still got dragged through the doghouse for dishonoring a relationship that doesn't appear to any longer exist.

Fortunately on my father's side the family immigrated recently enough (they came to Peru from Sicily when he was 3 years old) that there hasn't been any time for the game of telephone to play itself out on the family history.

I was just curious to see how much of Sicily's "colorful" history would be reflected on my genome and sure enough, there's the Middle Eastern / North African bit popping up unannounced.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back