Powerlifting, heavy bag, self defense

Self defense? 1 set of buying a Glock 17 with hollow points and getting a concealed carry license, for time.

Hi, I just thought about this:

I have been doing RAW powerlifting for few years, just for hobby (1150 no belt total at 6'2''/220 BW). Before that i was doing karate for like year-year and half. And now i am punching/kicking heavy bag for like year and half, maybe twice a week for 30 minutes in average.

Do you think, will i really have advantage against most of people (not fighters of course) in terms of self defense, if I need to?

Yes, very general and maybe somewhat stupid question, but I thought about that few days ago :)

Depends upon where you live. Where I live, according to published crime stats, 90% of attacks are done with weapons (mainly knives) and/or numbers (meaning two or more attackers). Some places are worse (more firearms used in attacks), some much better (fewer weapons and fewer attacks).

Against unarmed attacks by a single person you'll probably do fine. Against armed attacks by multiple people not so much, but actually fighting is a poor choice if you're living in an area where that's common; street smarts (ie avoiding trouble before it arises) and quick feet (ie running fast and hard) are your best bet for those. Your local gov't will publish its crime stats; that'll tell you how well you'll do against the most common threats you might actually face.

as long as you remember to breathe you should be OK. that's the first thing most non-trained people do is hold their breath and gas out within the first 30 seconds. Adrenaline and breathing are the two biggest issues with most non-trained people

Then again, why do you care? Are you planning on routinely getting into fights with people? Your size alone would probably deter most people.

as long as you remember to breathe you should be OK. that's the first thing most non-trained people do is hold their breath and gas out within the first 30 seconds. Adrenaline and breathing are the two biggest issues with most non-trained people

Then again, why do you care? Are you planning on routinely getting into fights with people? Your size alone would probably deter most people.
Good advice on breathing. In regards to your second point, I think most Sherdoggers care about how they would do in a street fight. Your question back at him is condescending and bullshit.

Good advice on breathing. In regards to your second point, I think most Sherdoggers care about how they would do in a street fight. Your question back at him is condescending and bullshit.
because most of the people on here need a little condescending bullshit for a wake up call, over the years I've seen too many posts by people bragging about their ability to beat up the average drunk in a bar, some going so far as to actually do it. A vast majority of the people here, especially those that live in the states have little to worry about regarding a street fight unless they are actively seeking one out. The TS by his own stats is of a size that a vast majority of people wouldn't mess with so it just sounds like some "roadhouse" fantasy, which is the real bullshit.

It's not the dog in the fight it's the fight in the dog fyi hahahaahha

because most of the people on here need a little condescending bullshit for a wake up call, over the years I've seen too many posts by people bragging about their ability to beat up the average drunk in a bar, some going so far as to actually do it. A vast majority of the people here, especially those that live in the states have little to worry about regarding a street fight unless they are actively seeking one out. The TS by his own stats is of a size that a vast majority of people wouldn't mess with so it just sounds like some "roadhouse" fantasy, which is the real bullshit.
Actually most fights in live do not happen with the average drunk or attackers but with friends or people you know. So it is good to at least know some stuff to defend yourself. You start sounding more relaxed in confrontation with friends and that gains respect. Just make sure your friends do not know you are training martial arts or fight sports. These assholes will test you.

Carrying around pepper spray is going to be more effective than any training you are doing, assuming you don't want to carry around a weapon.

That said, majority of people who start shit with you do so because they perceive they have an advantage over you. Either in size or in numbers. I've never had a guy act aggressive towards me who wasn't either bigger or with his friends.

Last edited:
Self defense is using your brain, avoiding danger, shady places and physical confrontation at all costs. Self defense DOES NOT EQUAL fighting skill.

Great example from today: 22 year old national champion in hand-to-hand combat dies after instigating fight with a 51 year old security guard.

Source (Russian):
https://sport.rambler.ru/summer/41737663-chempion-rossii-pogib-posle-draki-s-ohrannikom/

The 22 year old champ had:
- the skill advantage
- the speed advantage
- the strength advantage
- the age advantage
- the surprise factor (he attacked first)

On paper, he was guaranteed to "win" in this confrontation. But anything can happen in a fight - and he died serving as an example of this timeless adage.

So you wanna be SAFE? Don't fucking fight!

For more great advice check out this link:
http://www.wimsblog.com/2013/04/self-defense-tips-for-men/

Hi, I just thought about this:

I have been doing RAW powerlifting for few years, just for hobby (1150 no belt total at 6'2''/220 BW). Before that i was doing karate for like year-year and half. And now i am punching/kicking heavy bag for like year and half, maybe twice a week for 30 minutes in average.

Do you think, will i really have advantage against most of people (not fighters of course) in terms of self defense, if I need to?

Yes, very general and maybe somewhat stupid question, but I thought about that few days ago :)

Read what the guy below is saying, it's spot on.

Self defense is using your brain, avoiding danger, shady places and physical confrontation at all costs. Self defense DOES NOT EQUAL fighting skill.

Great example from today: 22 year old national champion in hand-to-hand combat dies after instigating fight with a 51 year old security guard.

Source (Russian):
https://sport.rambler.ru/summer/41737663-chempion-rossii-pogib-posle-draki-s-ohrannikom/

The 22 year old champ had:
- the skill advantage
- the speed advantage
- the strength advantage
- the age advantage
- the surprise factor (he attacked first)

On paper, he was guaranteed to "win" in this confrontation. But anything can happen in a fight - and he died serving as an example of this timeless adage.

So you wanna be SAFE? Don't fucking fight!

For more great advice check out this link:
http://www.wimsblog.com/2013/04/self-defense-tips-for-men/

The most important and often overlooked part of self defense is avoiding confrontations from the get go. The vast majority of the time, if you're thinking clearly you'll be able to get out of a potentially violent scenario.

If it's not possible, than to be perfectly honest, nothing is better than the very real confidence in your own abilities that only comes with experience. Big, strong and athletic only gives you an advantage over a fixed percentage of the population, many of whom you would never be fighting anyway because they aren't going around starting fights.

Delusional. Yes TS will definitely have the upper hand physically on most people but streetfighting is mental to a large degree. There are some nasty guys out there and working on the heavy bag and lifting weights without any fight experience wont prevent you getting your face punched in. Especially if you are not ready for it mentally.

You're the one who is delusional.

A 6'2 220lbs man who's reasonably low BF and has basic fighting technique and a 1k+ PL total will beat 99%, if not 99.9% or even 99.99% of other humans. That is a fact. Literally 4B of people are women, and the average man is barely stronger than a woman. You need to go outside a bit.

You're the one who is delusional.

A 6'2 220lbs man who's reasonably low BF and has basic fighting technique and a 1k+ PL total will beat 99%, if not 99.9% or even 99.99% of other humans. That is a fact. Literally 4B of people are women, and the average man is barely stronger than a woman. You need to go outside a bit.
Why are you responding to something you already responded to 6 months ago?

I am 6'2, about 200lbs, good shape, fought in boxing and MT and trained MMA for a few years and I've been whopped in the street more than once. I've also sparred a lot of people who were bigger than me and had bigger totals and whopped them easily.

Life is not a video game. Your BF and total doesn't mean anything if you don't have the toughness, wherewithall and mental fortitude to use it. Hitting the heavybag also means nothing without proper training, and it might just give you a false sense of security.

Line up 10.000 people (99,99%) and you're making a big mistake if you think you'd win the majority of the fights just because you lift weights. Especially if you've never experienced real violence or trained for it. Same with 1.000 (99,9%) or even 100 (99%). There's way too many variables and if you've been around you should know that.

Last edited:
Why are you responding to something you already responded to 6 months ago?

I am 6'2, about 200lbs, good shape, fought in boxing and MT and trained MMA for a few years and I've been whopped in the street more than once. I've also sparred a lot of people who were bigger than me and had bigger totals and whopped them easily.

Life is not a video game. Your BF and total doesn't mean anything if you don't have the toughness, wherewithall and mental fortitude to use it. Hitting the heavybag also means nothing without proper training, and it might just give you a false sense of security.

Line up 10.000 people (99,99%) and you're making a big mistake if you think you'd win the majority of the fights just because you lift weights. Especially if you've never experienced real violence or trained for it. Same with 1.000 (99,9%) or even 100 (99%). There's way too many variables and if you've been around you should know that.

I would be 100% confident that if you lined up 100 people, 99 would easily go down. This forum, MMA and gym training is an insanely small % of the population. I was not referring to 100 fighters, obviously.

I'm also assuming that the 6'2 220lbs guy in question isn't some mental midget, but someone with mental toughness, decent technique and great strength.

I stand by my numbers and cannot fathom how anyone disagrees. Out of 100 people, 50 are women (that's already 50/100). Out of the 50 men, at the most 10 have any form of martial arts training/strength training and with those stats, you're bigger than 9/10. The average ''man'' in 2019 is 5'9 180lbs with a gut, eyes glued to his iphone, never got near a fight in his life, much less throw a punch.

I've bounced for 5 years in Montreal's biggest clubs and have seen my fair share of violence and always tried to de-escalate when possible.

I would be 100% confident that if you lined up 100 people, 99 would easily go down. This forum, MMA and gym training is an insanely small % of the population. I was not referring to 100 fighters, obviously.

I'm also assuming that the 6'2 220lbs guy in question isn't some mental midget, but someone with mental toughness, decent technique and great strength.

I stand by my numbers and cannot fathom how anyone disagrees. Out of 100 people, 50 are women (that's already 50/100). Out of the 50 men, at the most 10 have any form of martial arts training/strength training and with those stats, you're bigger than 9/10. The average ''man'' in 2019 is 5'9 180lbs with a gut, eyes glued to his iphone, never got near a fight in his life, much less throw a punch.

I've bounced for 5 years in Montreal's biggest clubs and have seen my fair share of violence and always tried to de-escalate when possible.
I think we're conflating things. Being big, strong AND having combat sports experience while being mentally strong and used to violence is one thing. Definitely improves the odds. That's different than lifting weights and hitting the heavybag without fight experience. I also think it's important to note that you'd probably not run into many women and children you'd have to engage with in a physical confrontation.

Even as someone who is more aligned with the aforementioned, I would never be as overconfident as you are. I've just seen too much happen to others, and experienced it myself, to underestimate anyone like that. Standing in the door might be different, because a) you're dealing with people drunk out of their minds and b) you have the upper hand with an organised crew, the intimidation factor and the law behind you. I've messed around with a few bouncers at my old MMA gym and most of them honestly couldn't fight worth a damn in a fair 1on1.

I don't know, maybe we've just had different experiences.

If your question is can you take your average untrained person in a fight. Then the answer is probably yeah you can. If your question is can you take a weaker but decently trained person the answer is a definitive NO. I have trained in no rules hand to hand combat for years and wouldn't have a problem dealing with a large man throwing punches. I'm going to be breaking a knee or smashing a windpipe or worse. That being said there is nothing stopping you from training as well. Then you will have the skill to go with the strength and be tough for anyone to mess with.

I think what Sano is trying to say, and I agree with, is that there is never a time to feel confident engaging in violent altercations that are uncontrolled, especially if you don't have any combat training or real world experience. Physically, someone who is in tremendous athletic shape will have a distinct advantage against someone who does is not. If all the variables are clear or the situation is controlled, but in the real world or on the street, the reality is there are far too many unknowns and far too little control for anyone to reasonably feel confident getting into fights over some perceived bullshit if there's another path out of the situation.

I'e seen situations with weapons get de-escalated with a few choice words, I've seen little kids get blasted by nearly grown men, and I've gotten teeth knocked out of my face after winning a "fight" (to name a few)

The question isn't whether or not he can beat up most of the population, but whether or not he should feel confident in a scenario where he may need to defend himself. 6 years old and old ladies aren't picking fights with him, anyone that's going to be instigating a confrontation with a grown man already falls into a very small percentage of the population. That percentage of people normally falls into one of the following: a) doesn't give a fuck about anything b) enjoys fighting c) is out of their mind on drugs, booze, withdrawal, etc or d) is a criminal. If you take into consideration realistically who he would have to defend himself against, the answer is no, you should not feel comfortable fighting anyone if you don't know what you're doing. Would he likely be able to defend himself succesfully in bar / club bullshit? Probably, but even in those scenarios there are so many variables that are outside his control.

I think what Sano is trying to say, and I agree with, is that there is never a time to feel confident engaging in violent altercations that are uncontrolled, especially if you don't have any combat training or real world experience. Physically, someone who is in tremendous athletic shape will have a distinct advantage against someone who does is not. If all the variables are clear or the situation is controlled, but in the real world or on the street, the reality is there are far too many unknowns and far too little control for anyone to reasonably feel confident getting into fights over some perceived bullshit if there's another path out of the situation.

I'e seen situations with weapons get de-escalated with a few choice words, I've seen little kids get blasted by nearly grown men, and I've gotten teeth knocked out of my face after winning a "fight" (to name a few)

The question isn't whether or not he can beat up most of the population, but whether or not he should feel confident in a scenario where he may need to defend himself. 6 years old and old ladies aren't picking fights with him, anyone that's going to be instigating a confrontation with a grown man already falls into a very small percentage of the population. That percentage of people normally falls into one of the following: a) doesn't give a fuck about anything b) enjoys fighting c) is out of their mind on drugs, booze, withdrawal, etc or d) is a criminal. If you take into consideration realistically who he would have to defend himself against, the answer is no, you should not feel comfortable fighting anyone if you don't know what you're doing. Would he likely be able to defend himself succesfully in bar / club bullshit? Probably, but even in those scenarios there are so many variables that are outside his control.
Well said man. Thanks.

Back