Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

On one hand I see the idea that a state with that many people in it can become hard to manage.

On the flip side, we are giving Democrats extra US senators, no thanks.

I dont want them to have 6 anti gun senators instead of 2 either

Even if true, I think that's too narrow of a view to take.

I admit I dont know the state that well and my first thought was now there will be 3 instead of one and wasnt thinking that one of them might not be as liberal

Either way, I'll support them just on the principle of self-governance. It benefiting me or not is irrelevant.

Huh. Interesting that this actually made a ballot. CalExit (from itself) a possibility? It seems one of those things that guys talk about in bars but nothing ever comes of it. Would it even be constitutional and a state have the power to essentially create two more states within the United States?

It’s talked about sometimes around the Midwest with Chicago vs the rest of Illinois that gets pulled along for the ride with the massive city

Sounds like a scam by the rich to make sure their taxes don't go to poor people.

On one hand I see the idea that a state with that many people in it can become hard to manage.

On the flip side, we are giving Democrats extra US senators, no thanks.

Not really, the North and South California’s would have a good chance of being red. Take LA and the Bay Area away from CA and the rest of the state is already fairly red.

Not really, the North and South California’s would have a good chance of being red. Take LA and the Bay Area away from CA and the rest of the state is already fairly red.

I would counter with...Look at trends over last 20 years.
From 1942-1988 voted Republican for pres

2004 44% voted Republican
2012. 37% Republican. (-8 pts in 8 years)
2016 31% Republican (Trump didn't help, but still a 13 point drop in 12 years)

Not gonna happen. It's getting more blue each year. That northern Republican stronghold will be gone in 15 years.

California is like 90 percent Democrat

There is no way in hell California becomes a red state, Hollywood is here and all media outlets are Liberal besides Fox News.

Mexicans and Blacks are overwhelmingly democrat since birth.

People just assume all of California is super liberal like Berkeley or SF.

There is no way in hell California becomes a red state, Hollywood is here and all media outlets are Liberal besides Fox News.

43% Dem 28% Republican as far as registered voters.

That’s because LA and Bay Area make up a huge percentage of the population. If those percentages have their own “California” the remaining two states would be very possibley red.

PoliticalGeogFigure-4_web.png

I would counter with...Look at trends over last 20 years.
From 1942-1988 voted Republican for pres

2004 44% voted Republican
2012. 37% Republican. (-8 pts in 8 years)
2016 31% Republican (Trump didn't help, but still a 13 point drop in 12 years)

Not gonna happen. It's getting more blue each year. That northern Republican stronghold will be gone in 15 years.

Look beyond stats and consider causation. Dem numbers took off in 2008..with the first ever black president and then for his re election. Barry brought huge numbers, myself included, on his “change” which ended up not changing much.

Just recently a Republican candidate made it onto the ballot for governer, which has been just two Dems for the last several years since Arnold.

I anticipate the red numbers growing in coming years. Not enough to catch up by any means but not widening I think.

Can we just solve this by making all 50 states electoral votes be by proportion instead of winner take all....
We do that up here in Maine, we split our electorate in the last election.

Well i did say im not sure californias lay out like that I thought they were all super liberal out that way

I also thought electorate was based off population?

So youd still have 2 super liberal states and 1 small red one if things go according to plan ?

And you wouldn't have 55 electoral votes going Democrat every year. I think you're seriously over thinking something here, because this isn't very hard to understand.

Imagine being a conservative living in California? lol If this is economically and constitutionally possible then best of luck to them.

Interesting....I would be right at the border of Norther California and California.....Personally I wanted to be with Northern California but it seems ill be part of California.

This doesn't make much sense to me....but if we had to split california....I rather get rid of inland california.

I don't generally engage in conspiracy theories. But I am going to put on my tinfoil hat here and say this is not about politics. If this goes through, it will be the beginning of 'The Water Wars'.

Based on this map, CA and Southern CA would be dependent on Northern CA for HALF their water supply. Huge discussions and arguments will ensue that will eventually impact every state.

Interesting....I would be right at the border of Norther California and California.....Personally I wanted to be with Northern California but it seems ill be part of California.

This doesn't make much sense to me....but if we had to split california....I rather get rid of inland california.

When you say Inland are you referring to the Inland Empire like the desert areas and places like Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Riverside, san bernadino those type of areas?

I don't generally engage in conspiracy theories. But I am going to put on my tinfoil hat here and say this is not about politics. If this goes through, it will be the beginning of 'The Water Wars'.

Based on this map, CA and Southern CA would be dependent on Northern CA for HALF their water supply. Huge discussions and arguments will ensue that will eventually impact every state.

why would you call that a tin foil hat CT? that sounds very possible, they have issues with water and had disputes over water for years and years.

Back