Just watched whit vs Romero ... No robbery

jko1355

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I admit I missed the fight.. After finally viewing I'm surprised by the backlash.

Romero hurt Whitaker bad in the third round which obviously shot his chin the rest of the fight. That is a fact... But.. Can we be honest round 1 and 2 were 100% Whitaker.

Round three was competitive with a concussive shot from Romero.

Round four matters. Whitaker won 4 minutes 30 second of that round. He got wobbled but didn't go down and fought back.

Now round five... Would have easily been a 10 8 for Romero forcing a draw... IF, Romero didn't hug Whitaker for three minutes... Romero lost this fight byby truly doing nothing.

Not a robbery but a great fight. Romero is definitely a finish or lose fighter unfortunately.

P.s. watched the fight in Spanish and don't speak it so no commentary bias on either side.

I admit I missed the fight.. After finally viewing I'm surprised by the backlash.

Romero hurt Whitaker bad in the third round which obviously shot his chin the rest of the fight. That is a fact... But.. Can we be honest round 1 and 2 were 100% Whitaker.

Round four matters. Whitaker won 4 minutes 30 second of that round. He got wobbled but didn't go down and fought back.

Now round five... Would have easily been a 10 8 for Romero forcing a draw... IF, Romero didn't hug Whitaker for three minutes... Romero lost this fight byby truly doing nothing.

Not a robbery but a great fight. Romero is definitely a finish or lose fighter unfortunately.

P.s. watched the fight in Spanish and don't speak it so no commentary bias on either side.
Every play by play I read had yoel winning the 4th. I also didn't watch it. I'll re watch it soon. Won't ever watch a card with douche flute on it.

Close decision. Media leaned toward Romero. But I wasn't disappointed... Dude didn't make weight and wouldn't have won the belt. But I was pumped the full 25 minutes...

Of course it wasn’t.

Romero winning the fight depends on REALLY reaching and giving him the 4th round basically for landing a couple good punches. Never mind that Whittaker tees off on him the entire round..Romero wobbled him and that negates everything. Everybody should take 4 and a half minutes off and try to land the best punch of the round in the last 30 seconds. Why work so hard?

There’s only an argument for a draw. Romero didn’t win enough rounds to win.

I absolutely had Romero winning that fight, but wasn't even slightly surprised Whittaker got the decision. Romero played it way too safe in the beginning, and it was a super fucking close fight. I only get ultra pissed when someone gets straight fucked and the guy who got a gift decision acts like he believed he won the fight when he knows damn fucking well that decision was horseshit.

Edit- I hear an argument that when someone trains that hard and they get the decision that they believe they won because they trained to win so hard that losing isn't in their mind- bullshit. I've been in plenty of fights and you fucking know if you're losing or not lmao

Last edited:
Personally I thought it was a draw. I agree with you that Round 4 probably goes to Whittaker (although I can see the argument to give it to Romero as well), but according to the criteria in rulebook for the new unified rules, Round 5 likely should have been scored as a 10-8 for Yoel. 47-47 draw, run it back again.

Of course it wasn’t.

Romero winning the fight depends on REALLY reaching and giving him the 4th round basically for landing a couple good punches. Never mind that Whittaker tees off on him the entire round..Romero wobbled him and that negates everything. Everybody should take 4 and a half minutes off and try to land the best punch of the round in the last 30 seconds. Why work so hard?

What about the joe Rogan argument round 3 10-8 and round 5 10-7. That's 47-45 Romero
<{you!}>

Of course it wasn’t.

Whittaker wasn't teeing off on Romero, he was outpointing him and then received a couple of bombs to the dome that wobbled him and turned his legs into spaghetti. Who received the most damage on round 4? Clearly it was Whittaker. I'm fine with giving this round to either guy, I think both have an argument. A 10-10 would perhaps be the fairer scored to this round.

Example 675,834,912 of why the 10 point must system sucks balls.

Yeah.. clear 48-47 for Whittaker.

Who cares? He has the belt.. Romero has to go to LHW since he cant make 185.

What about the joe Rogan argument round 3 10-8 and round 5 10-7. That's 47-45 Romero
<{you!}>

A 10-7 for the 5th round is perfectly justifiable under the current rules. If a judge thought that the ref could have stopped the fight at any point, he can score the round a 10-7. That was arguably the case when Whittaker got dropped and turtled up.

It was so close to call that a draw could be justified. Romero was way too tentative early and let Whitaker build a lead. (and close his eye) Then Yoel started putting it on him but that also coincided with Whitaker's broken hand occurring. Hard to judge a fight where one guy clearly wins more minutes of the action (but never really has his opponent in trouble) but the other guy almost finishes him a few times.

Round 4 is the deciding factor for sure. Idk how you score it for Yoel off one punch.

Round 4 was obviously all Whittaker.

Why?
Lets say Romero started the fourth round the way he actually ended the fourth round. Then Whittaker just did his thing for the remaining 4 mins 30 left over, it was obviously Whittakers round.

Same logic could be applied to round 3 and Whittaker would have won that round.

How do you win a round in which you were outstruck 36 to 18, got dropped, turtled up and was taken down a couple of times?
That was a draw at best, as Whittaker was on the offense for the majority of the round. Plus Whittaker won round 4. Agreed?

You are 100% correct.

Just a handful of butthurt Yoel fans whining is all.

Back