My Honest Assessment Of Whittaker vs Romero

Only 10-8 I gave was the fifth to Romero which made the fight a draw for me. However it was close enough & Yoel is a cheating prick so very happy with the actual decision.

Hopefully Romero is forced up a weight class & a healthy Whittaker fights Kelvin.

It all comes down to the final two rounds imo.

Whittaker won the first two and Romero won the third, all 10-9's. The fourth, however, could have gone either way, though I had Robert edging it out. The fifth is controversial because I don't know whether to score it a 10-9 or a 10-8. Romero definitely won it, but don't the new rules state that if one fighter is close to being finished and the other isn't, that the round automatically is a 10-8? That means even if you gave Whittaker rounds 1,2, and 4, the fight would still be a Draw. And if you gave Romero the 4th, he'd win the fight.
No way Romero won the 4th. Every round that was won by each fighter was extremely clear.
The only question is did Romero deserve a 10-8 in round 5?
I'd have to go back and rewatch.

Yes, covering up your head and going into that fetal position while face down is usually a sign that you're done. There's been a million or so fights that have ended that way. He was close to being stopped.

He was scrambling not lying there Yoels shots hit his hands and arm. Rofl

You are a dimb ass

GTFO with 10-7.

Whittaker knocked Yoel down in that round with a kick. Yes he was off balance but that right there is enough for it not be a 10-7.
Nope. When you get nearly stopped multiple times the scorecard should reflect it. This isn’t a point match. It’s a fuckin fight. Romero’s 5th round trumped all of Whitaker’s rounds combined. Don’t think so? Which rounds would you rather have fought in?

It was pretty easy to score, for me.

I had Whittaker winning 1, 2 and 4.
Romero had Round 3 and a 10-8 in Round 5.

Draw.

Why do people say this? This is a sport with a rule set that is agreed upon by BOTH fighters coming into the fight. It doesn't matter who you think won the fight as a whole, what matters is what you feel the scores are round by round.
Lol

It all comes down to the final two rounds imo.

Whittaker won the first two and Romero won the third, all 10-9's. The fourth, however, could have gone either way, though I had Robert edging it out. The fifth is controversial because I don't know whether to score it a 10-9 or a 10-8. Romero definitely won it, but don't the new rules state that if one fighter is close to being finished and the other isn't, that the round automatically is a 10-8? That means even if you gave Whittaker rounds 1,2, and 4, the fight would still be a Draw. And if you gave Romero the 4th, he'd win the fight.

This is exactly how I saw it

No genuine argument really exists for any Whittaker 10-8.

Not that I would argue that it was a 10-8, but round 1 was actually the most one sided round in this whole fight. Sig strikes 33-9 for Whitaker.

How is 1 10-8 Whitaker?

I dont remember Romero being almost finished

A lot of wrasslers get 10-8s without even coming close to a finish, simply because the round is so one sided.

Romero was never visibly hurt by Whittaker. Whittaker was knocked down three times and nearly finished at one point.

First sentence is false. Yoel did a stanky leg right near the end of round 3 after Rob boot-fucked his head.

Nope. When you get nearly stopped multiple times the scorecard should reflect it. This isn’t a point match. It’s a fuckin fight. Romero’s 5th round trumped all of Whitaker’s rounds combined. Don’t think so? Which rounds would you rather have fought in?
That's not how the scoring system works. So your comment is irrelevant.

If he added up all the damage and rounds combined, then clearly Romero, but that's not how fights are scored (it's how they should be though imo.)

That would create a whole new level of complication in judging.

I personally feel people are much too convinced that round 5 was a 10-8 than they should be. Whittaker landed a nice kick that put Romero off balance, and they wrestled much of the rest of the round without Whittaker seeming to be too impacted by the strikes Romero was landing. It's not as if Whittaker didn't get off any strikes of his own over the round.

I think because Whittaker was stiffened from that knockdown in round 3 and that's what made people want to score the rest of the fight huge for Romero. Unfortunately, that's not how scoring works. Whittaker recovered ridiculously quick in terms of his ability to defend himself and was still effective for much of the rest of the fight despite having a broken hand and being clearly rocked.

It would actually simplify things and make them more fair.

giphy.gif

Back