DC vs Marvel

oh this thread again.

Once again, Marvel Comics have been shit for years, I essentially see the comics and whatever as just merchandising for the movies now.
DC Movies? yeah pretty eh, but Im not big on marvel ones either

Video Games? DC killed it with Arkham way more than any marvel game ever.
Animated movies? DC
Comics? DC
TV Shows? I dont really like any of the super hero tv shows...

DC Have better super heros and storylines too for me, always have outside of some x-men and spider man comics

Marvel will always win because more popular, bigger movies, and now it feels people just want DC to fail (and in fairness, it seems the DC Movies want themselves to fail)

Now excuse me as I go off to the comic book shop and pretend that im not a nerd loser.

Comics: Marvel
Movies: Marvel
Animated series and films: DC, but it's still pretty close.

The biggest problem with DC imo is they have a fucking TON of really ridiculous characters that aren't memorable and haven't aged well. Every DC crossover event is a lot of:

<FookIsThatGuy>

Followed by:

giphy.gif

Warner/DC is making two joker movies, using two different actors in two different timelines

That should tell you how idiotic things over on the DC front are compared to Marvel. I wondered how someone could fuck up such a great IP, but then I instantly recalled the new Star Wars Trilogy.

MarySueStarWars.jpg

Comics wise, both have been appeasing people who don't even buy their comics, but Marvel has seemed worse.
DG7gqwUXUAEilBx.jpg
Iron man started in like 1963 or something. How many stories can they tell of the same guy doing the same thing?
I hear a lot of people complaining about things like this, or a muslim Ms Marvel, or a black Spiderman as pandering or something, but i feel like comics have always been somewhat a mirror of the world. A lot of the themes in the comics have always been present in real life.
It's really not that new of a thing.

For the thread, i think both Marvel and DC have had some strong stories, and they both have strong characters. I've enjoyed reading both.
There is no contest in movies though. DC has failed miserably on all levels.

Their biggest problem is over powered heroes . When you have someone like Superman and Batman on the same team...imo, it makes it difficult to justify why Superman would ever neeed his help...or how they could ever have a Vs movie. They should have done a much better job of developing Superman, and/or putting in some cap on his power. He made the Justice League look completely useless the second he woke up from death

Whichever one has America Chavez, Riri Williams and Amadeus Cho.

Even DC's most popular characters are fucking bland. That was the whole reason Marvel started taking off in the silver age. They introduced an entire lineup of more human and realistic characters, while DC was writing Supes, Batman, etc like they were your parents. Completely one dimensional boy scouts.

After a couple straight decades of getting smacked around they literally just copied everything Marvel was doing. So there's a precedent for the way they've handled their movies

{<hhh]

If you read comics, there isn't a gap. There are so many shitty Marvel x-men comics. So so many. X-men is a shitpile of inaccessibliness and a lack of quality control. With DC, runs are often stand alone instead of an intertwined mess. If you read Batman's Dark Halloween or Dark Knight Returns, they are stand alone. Marvel stuff has more intertwined soap opera drama. Do you like readinh about soap opera's or implications and thoughts on a workd with people with immense powers?

Iron man started in like 1963 or something. How many stories can they tell of the same guy doing the same thing?
I hear a lot of people complaining about things like this, or a muslim Ms Marvel, or a black Spiderman as pandering or something, but i feel like comics have always been somewhat a mirror of the world. A lot of the themes in the comics have always been present in real life.

For the thread, i think both Marvel and DC have had some strong stories, and they both have strong characters. I've enjoyed reading both.

Their biggest problem is over powered heroes . When you have someone like Superman and Batman on the same team...imo, it makes it difficult to justify why Superman would ever neeed his help...or how they could ever have a Vs movie. They should have done a much better job of developing Superman, and/or putting in some cap on his power. He made the Justice League look completely useless the second he woke up from death
Entertainment always mirrors the times they are made in, but I just don't want to see a female Thor fighting the Patriarchy, or the like, it's fucking retarded. I never want to see established heroes/properties being butchered to appease a bunch of whiny cunts who didn't enjoy them in the first place. Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Mass Effect etc... Can they not see the trend? They were all cherished at one time, but now they are damaged properties.

As for Superman in Justice League, it was nothing but a squash match once supe woke up. I can't believe they used Steppenwolf too, wtf were they thinking? I agree though, DC/Marvel has told some epic stories over the years; Planet Hulk, Winter Soldier (comic and film) and the Death Of Superman (so epic at the time) to name a few

I loved the Christopher Reeves Superman movies (still my fav Superhero anything). Superman is overpowered, but him fighting anyone was never his best stories IMO. I like when they focus on how difficult being Superman is. He can't save everyone, and has been blamed for deaths he might have prevented if he wasn't indulging. In this aspect, he can't have a normal life and is always torn from that. He's also often depressed because he can't find a proper rival...oh wait that's
782009244479_anime-one-punch-man-dvd-primary.JPEG

:D

Agreed.

Superman as DC's front man is ridiculously overpowered. Almost all good superhero plot revolves around the protagonist trying to overcome the odds. It's hard to create a difficult situation for Superman that doesn't involve another overpowered villain with near-identical powers. In fact DC writers probably knew that hence they resorted to creating a foreign particle kryptonite as his weakness.

Even in the JL movie, all of them combined couldn't even make Supes break a sweat. And they were struggling with Steppenwolf until Supes showed up and swept the floor with him, and then proceed to catch up with Flash and save the civilians. It seems the entire purpose of the other JL members was to revive Supes.

While there're almost equally overpowered heroes in the Marvel comics, they are almost always relegated to supporting roles and only appear in major cosmic events.

In the movies, MCU Thanos with all the infinity stones is MUCH weaker than the comics version, which makes for a much more intriguing plot.

Superhero movies are fun. Marvel executives understand this extremely well. That’s why Marvel movies are much better than DC movies.

I laugh every time someone asks for a gritty, dark superhero movie. It’s so ridiculous. The fucking guy is dressed as a bat with pointy ears and a cape, with a fake voice and an English butler, and you want that movie to be serious, dark and gritty?

<36>

The only good thing DC has ever done is now dated and has always been overrated. You know what I’m talking about. Sympathy Oscar.

This. I'm sure that some people complained when they first started making comics a little more edgy and dark too. Some people just don't like change. Marvel did take it a little too far too quickly though.

Movies it's easily marvel
Comics it's DC.
Some of the new marvel comics like Jane Foster Thor isn't that bad but then you get to her beating up Odin and it's like fuck that I'm out.

DC is confusing as shit. With the golden age and reboot. Marvel for the most part is consistent

When you write a film to be with the times, you conversely make it impossible to be timeless.

Superhero movies are fun. Marvel executives understand this extremely well. That’s why Marvel movies are much better than DC movies.

I laugh every time someone asks for a gritty, dark superhero movie. It’s so ridiculous. The fucking guy is dressed as a bat with pointy ears and a cape, with a fake voice and an English butler, and you want that movie to be serious, dark and gritty?

<36>

The only good thing DC has ever done is now dated and has always been overrated. You know what I’m talking about. Sympathy Oscar.

Marvel do dark and gritty too. But they save if for the Netflix series, where it works. The Punisher series is far darker than any Batman movie.

Entertainment always mirrors the times they are made in, but I just don't want to see a female Thor fighting the Patriarchy, or the like, it's fucking retarded. I never want to see established heroes/properties being butchered to appease a bunch of whiny cunts who didn't enjoy them in the first place. Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Mass Effect etc... Can they not see the trend? They were all cherished at one time, but now they are damaged properties.

As for Superman in Justice League, it was nothing but a squash match once supe woke up. I can't believe they used Steppenwolf too, wtf were they thinking? I agree though, DC/Marvel has told some epic stories over the years; Planet Hulk, Winter Soldier (comic and film) and the Death Of Superman (so epic at the time) to name a few

I loved the Christopher Reeves Superman movies (still my fav Superhero anything). Superman is overpowered, but him fighting anyone was never his best stories IMO. I like when they focus on how difficult being Superman is. He can't save everyone, and has been blamed for deaths he might have prevented if he wasn't indulging. In this aspect, he can't have a normal life and is always torn from that. He's also often depressed because he can't find a proper rival...oh wait that's
782009244479_anime-one-punch-man-dvd-primary.JPEG

:D

that's not an accurate representation of Jane Foster, her Thor stories were some of the best in years. Jason Aaron did a fantastic job with her, the change was organic thanks to Original Sin and she was a fully fleshed character with realistic motivations.

Comics have to change or else they'd be horribly repetitive. I also find most of the people that bitch about supposed catering to a certain crowd aren't long time comic fans, bc long time fans know these characters change and evolve and new people step in all the time.
was there an uproar when Jim Rhodes stepped in for Iron Man?
if it's done right, they can lead to fantastic stories. The Ms. Marvel run that started her character was fantastic. She didn't replace Carol Danvers, she just took up an older mantle as Carol was Captain Marvel by then. Same with Miles Morales, arguably the best character created in the past 10-15 years.
the RiRi Williams story was lacking, but she was totally different than Tony Stark, she's a teenage genius who is learning to become a hero while Stark was at one point comatose but now he's back.

these supposed SJW characters that are supposed replacements? Show me one where the original hero isn't also being featured in stories. Odinson never left, he just lost his hammer and has been featured in stories the entire time. Stark? Even being comatose, he had an A.I. that was basically him and most stories involved the hunt for him. Bruce Banner was killed but wasn't dead for more than a year. Carol Danvers never left, Peter Parker (616) never left, etc....
no one was replaced, New characters were introduced alongside.

Even DC's most popular characters are fucking bland. That was the whole reason Marvel started taking off in the silver age. They introduced an entire lineup of more human and realistic characters, while DC was writing Supes, Batman, etc like they were your parents. Completely one dimensional boy scouts.

After a couple straight decades of getting smacked around they literally just copied everything Marvel was doing. So there's a precedent for the way they've handled their movies

{<hhh]
idk the deconstruction era in the 1980's was probably the most influential development in comics in the last 30 years, and that was driven mostly by the work of Alan Moore and Frank Miller at DC

Marvel took off in the silver age because Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and Steve Dikto created great characters and stories, has nothing to do with DC.

Batman is as human as it gets, I've never read a comic where he was written like a parent.

idk the deconstruction era in the 1980's was probably the most influential development in comics in the last 30 years, and that was driven mostly by the work of Alan Moore and Frank Miller at DC

Marvel took off in the silver age because Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and Steve Dikto created great characters and stories, has nothing to do with DC.

Batman is as human as it gets, I've never read a comic where he was written like a parent.
Well that gritty reboot from Miller that you mentioned basically created the Batman we all know today that everyone likes. People forget that until the late 70s/early 80s all the DC characters were campy and corny as hell. Even Batman. But Marvel had been doing a more grounded take on superheros for some time before the Crisis reboot.

Spider-man, the X-men, Avengers, even the FF were much more relatable than anything DC had going at the time. Struggling to get along with each other with multiple dominant personalities, characters with social problems and money problems, problems with talking to girls. Moral dilemmas, love triangles, etc. All of that is super common now but was basically unheard of in the 60s/ early 70's era of comics.

Back