Harai-goshi Instructional

I don't just want to see Harai, I want to see situations where not only can I use Harai, but dealing with defenses/counters/combos, and especially as it relates to BJJ, I want some focus on the transitions to the ground. Really, a throw don't mean shit if I don't have some control/top position at the end.

I get where you're coming from with this, but, at least at the moment our focus is on competitive Judo not Judo for BJJ. We've got some ideas for more depth / competitive situations which will have relevance to BJJ - example being the gripping strategies video we already released.

dude, your content is great, found it here on Sherdog and have been actively liking and am subscribed. It's a nice resource for showing people what judo is, specifically by showing them sumi gaeshi, uchi mata, or sode tsurikomi goshi, as those are visually pleasing even to people with little knowledge of combat sports. Keep the content coming, and I'd love to see more instructionals like this, an uchi mata one would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for your support! We've got plenty more on the way.

"failed" is a strong word. And it is the start, but it can also be the finish, as the video above showed, and it could be what puts you in an advantageous position that is the difference between ground and pound and a submission and getting pounded and getting submitted. But I can agree with what you're coming from, I would also like to see more transitions, but that isn't the channel Efficient Judo's purpose, they're for making bite size videos that actually teach you something without any BS or unnecessary talking.

By the way, transition wise, hold onto the sleeve/arm and harai goshi should land uke at your feet, where you can apply the armbar or transition into side control, kesa gatame, or mount. :)

I don't mean that Judo, as a martial art, has failed - I just think some of the instructionals aren't very progressive and don't seem to offer much that others don't. Not meant to be a knock on Efficient Judo's technique, or production quality.

My background is Judo and have felt this way since I started BJJ a decade ago. There don't seem to be any Danahers or Ryan Halls taking the instructional game to new levels. Maybe I'm wrong and just looking at the wrong places

I just think some of the instructionals aren't very progressive and don't seem to offer much that others don't. Not meant to be a knock on Efficient Judo's technique, or production quality.

I get that 100% - As a Judo and BJJ practitioner myself, aware of all the material out there covering BJJ, I wanted to create something for Judo that is progressive (thats even the term we've used to describe our approach), hence the basics, set ups, variations playlists. We've got plans to expand on this, but none of the Efficient Judo team make a living from Judo and the whole Efficient Judo project runs along side our jobs, training and coaching responsibilities, so its going to take time for us to get there. Likewise, its hard to create the whole package without first covering the basics, its the logical place to start.

My hope is that we get to the point where you're saying Efficient Judo is the channel that offers what the other don't. Its feedback like yours that keeps moving in that direction.

I get that 100% - As a Judo and BJJ practitioner myself, aware of all the material out there covering BJJ, I wanted to create something for Judo that is progressive (thats even the term we've used to describe our approach), hence the basics, set ups, variations playlists. We've got plans to expand on this, but none of the Efficient Judo team make a living from Judo and the whole Efficient Judo project runs along side our jobs, training and coaching responsibilities, so its going to take time for us to get there. Likewise, its hard to create the whole package without first covering the basics, its the logical place to start.

My hope is that we get to the point where you're saying Efficient Judo is the channel that offers what the other don't. Its feedback like yours that keeps moving in that direction.

I do appreciate the material - hope to see what you guys come out with.

i was basically trying to say this, but with pictures, i guess because i think i'm funny and need attention, and didn't realize it came off suuuuuuper dickish. :\
RJ, this made me laugh. It was the moment where you decided not to be the "get off my lawn" old timer, but the truth is you can't decide if you really care thats who you are or not.

RJ, this made me laugh. It was the moment where you decided not to be the "get off my lawn" old timer, but the truth is you can't decide if you really care thats who you are or not.

story of my life bro.

Harai always makes me think of this

Harai is super versatile , can work in any situation .
I´ll check the videos.
Good vid, but I agree with RJ that it doesn't really differentiate itself from the other Judo instructionals out there. But really, I don't know anyone who puts out unique Judo content.

I don't just want to see Harai, I want to see situations where not only can I use Harai, but dealing with defenses/counters/combos, and especially as it relates to BJJ, I want some focus on the transitions to the ground. Really, a throw don't mean shit if I don't have some control/top position at the end.

Truth is, if I get Harai, or any other throw/sweep/etc, I need to be prepared for a scramble, uke attempting at recovering guard, counter rolls, etc. Judo has "failed" IMO because life ends after the throw in almost every instructional. In real life and comps, though, it's just the start!!!
I agree with BJJ but in real life you can kill someone with harai and if you go the ground will be the basics but I don´t buy Helio´s motto that I´ll be always grappling in the ground a lot of minutes. Both extremes are bad.

How do you tell teh difference between this throw, and Ashi Guruma, or Osota Gari?

It would be interesting to see a true detailed technical judo video. The irony is that the more ‘technical’ judo teaching is, the less it usually describes reality. Instead it basically explains platonic ideals and abstract principles that have fuck-all to do with how the throw is executed in reality against a resisting opponent.

How do you tell teh difference between this throw, and Ashi Guruma, or Osota Gari?

Ashi-guruma doesn't involve the hip - uke is wheeled over the out stretched leg. Harai-goshi is sweeping hip, the leg sweeps backwards. Compare:

Osoto-gari is completely different direction to the above two, there is no hip, and ukes leg is reaped away by tori's attacking leg.

Back