Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

What is your military background?
Yes, the movie is really good.
No, I did not go through SERE. In the U.S. Army, usually only Special Forces guys get to go through it. I went through Ranger school.

Me: U.S. Army, Infantry & Civil Affairs (MOS), Major (retired). Started out as an enlisted guy in 1988.
Pilots go through SERE-C too. Everyone goes through SERE-A, which is to say that they are told that if captured, give only your Name, Rank, Battle Roster Number, and DOB, answering only questions about those things. I think there's an online training for it now too. SERE-B has loads of people that go through it, and that's a classroom portion. For SERE-C, the pilots have a much softer version of it that they all go through at Ft Rucker. There's a SOF version of the course at Bragg, one that every SF guy goes through. A bunch of people deemed "high risk for capture" attend it on a case-by-case basis. That's the one that everyone thinks of when they hear SERE-C.

Just got out of a great meeting with folds of valor, a charity for veterans and their families, I’m gonna to be donating time for the drywall finishing and painting on a house being built for a family who lost their father over seas. And I got my company to agree to donate all the materials free. The whole construction of the house is going to be donated. I’m pretty stoked about this
Fucking love and appreciate everything you guys have done for me

Will a marine please educate me as to what the significance of a challenge coin is? I was presented one today with the charities logo from a Vietnam vet and the family who will be moving in to the house as a way of showing their gratitude. The vet tried to explain it but he was mumbling and i didn’t catch what he said

Will a marine please educate me as to what the significance of a challenge coin is? I was presented one today with the charities logo from a Vietnam vet and the family who will be moving in to the house as a way of showing their gratitude.

'Folds of Valor' or 'Folds of Honor'? I'm familiar with 'Folds of Honor'. Started right here in Oklahoma.

"Returning home from his second tour of duty in Iraq, Major Dan Rooney, an F-16 fighter pilot in the Oklahoma Air National Guard, became painfully aware of the reality families face when a loved one in uniform is fallen or disabled."

I was a soldier and the U.S. Army also has 'challenge coins'. Actually all branches of the military have them. It is a coin (medallion) of different size bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem and carried by some of the organization’s members. They are made by a few companies. In addition, they are also collected by service members. In practice, challenge coins are normally presented by unit commanders in recognition of special achievement by a member of the unit. Traditionally, they are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale.

A group of buddies (all in the service) are at a bar. One of them pulls out a coin. Let’s call him D-bag. If everyone else in that group pulls out their coin, D-bag must buy a round. But if someone doesn’t have a coin on them, they buy a round.

I'll post a pic of my coin rack later..

'Folds of Valor' or 'Folds of Honor'? I'm familiar with 'Folds of Honor'. Started right here in Oklahoma.

"Returning home from his second tour of duty in Iraq, Major Dan Rooney, an F-16 fighter pilot in the Oklahoma Air National Guard, became painfully aware of the reality families face when a loved one in uniform is fallen or disabled."

I was a soldier and the U.S. Army also has 'challenge coins'. Actually all branches of the military have them. It is a coin (medallion) of different size bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem and carried by some of the organization’s members. They are made by a few companies. In addition, they are also collected by service members. In practice, challenge coins are normally presented by unit commanders in recognition of special achievement by a member of the unit. Traditionally, they are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale.

Yes. Folds of honor. Thank you for the response. I’ll send you a pic of my coin I was really stoked for it. Really happy I could do something for the families that have sacrificed so much. Bless you guys

I’ll send you a pic of my coin I was really stoked for it. Really happy I could do something for the families that have sacrificed so much. Bless you guys.

Thank you my friend. That means a lot for those of us in uniform and those of us retired. Thank you for helping out the veterans and 'Folds of Honor'. Unfortunately the statistics for veterans are still bad:

. Almost 1.5 million veterans live in poverty in the U.S.
. Between 18 to 22 veterans commit suicide every day. *
. Roughly 50,000 veterans are homeless.

* Yeah, that suicide rate is shocking. That is more death here in the U.S. in one year than all combat death in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

You can start your own coin collection by purchasing these coins online. I think @Strychnine can fill you in on the details. I think some are pretty valuable and rare. I have friends that really love collecting them...

USMC 2005-2010, Sgt 6048 flight equipment. Swing with the wing gaybois

2c9bec895408374.jpg

Here's a pic of my coin rack. Some I was awarded, some I got in trade, and some I bought. I'm glad to have them all. It reminds me of my service.

Here's a pic of my coin rack. Some I was awarded, some I got in trade, and some I bought. I'm glad to have them all. It reminds me of my service.

That one on the back row on the right. The blue flag with the 4 stars. Were you awarded that? That is a special one isn't it? I don't collect military coins, but I do collect guitar picks (different bands), stamps, and elements. My favorite is a sample of Uranium 238.

* Also, today if flag day...

That one on the back row on the right. The blue flag with the 4 stars. Were you awarded that? That is a special one isn't it? I don't collect military coins, but I do collect guitar picks (different bands), stamps, and elements. My favorite is a sample of Uranium 238.

* Also, today if flag day...

Good catch! ;)

I don't like to brag, but I was awarded that from the commander of Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) for being the Senior NCO of PACAF in my career field.

I don't like to brag, but I was awarded that from the commander of Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) for being the Senior NCO of PACAF in my career field.

Holy shit! That is a big deal my friend. Any one star and above coin is a rare occurrence. You put in your time. Humble ones always get the best awards. They think of others before themselves. Congratulations!

Holy shit! That is a big deal my friend. Any one star and above coin is a rare occurrence. You put in your time. Humble ones always get the best awards. They think of others before themselves. Congratulations!

Thanks brother!

Will a marine please educate me as to what the significance of a challenge coin is? I was presented one today with the charities logo from a Vietnam vet and the family who will be moving in to the house as a way of showing their gratitude. The vet tried to explain it but he was mumbling and i didn’t catch what he said

Something pogues love

Something pogues love

Nothing wrong with being given something. Looking back I wish I got more shit, at least I could sell it on ebay. In the UK military we get fuck all. My friend was on this op and didn't get shit for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back