Can I throw overhands to the body?

I like it.
it also has a lot to do with your opponents posture. i had a argument on here a while ago saying that the straight right to the body doesn't really work when your opponent has good body posture, unless they are a southpaw (then it becomes one of the best body punches). the only time the straight right to the body is available against an orthodox fighter is if they are standing too square and upright (kickboxers).

it also has a lot to do with your opponents posture. i had a argument on here a while ago saying that the straight right to the body doesn't really work when your opponent has good body posture, unless they are a southpaw (then it becomes one of the best body punches). the only time the straight right to the body is available against an orthodox fighter is if they are standing too square and upright (kickboxers).
I am southpaw, does that mean my left straight to the body is good against Orthodox guys?

you can overhand to the body, if the opponents body is in a position/angle to make the punch effective than yeah why not.

I am southpaw, does that mean my left straight to the body is good against Orthodox guys?
for sure. straight lefts and right hooks are your friends. vary it body and head, also mix it up by throwing right hook, straight left, right hook. or the opposite straight left, right hook, straight left. also getting on the outside of their lead and doubling up on the right hook can be extremely hard to deal with.

Yep the front. You lose a small amount of power, but for me, I'm a right-handed southpaw so it's not really a problem.
if your a right handed southpaw, the right hook should be one of your best punches. we used to call right handed southpaws, paw paws and they can be a nightmare to deal with, especially if you can develop a right uppercut to mix in with the right hook.

Can you overhand a jab?
fairly dangerous option, not really worth it. a short right hook is a far more effective weapon. the best way to throw an overhand for a southpaw is straight left, straight left, overhand left. this is my brothers go to combo and it's extremely hard to deal with, if you mix it in with a few rights.

You can if you're a manlet.

Sorry, had to do it.

If you mean a lead overhand then yes, but unlike the jab you gotta rotate the rest of your body.
You can hit someone with a rear overhand over the jab too, just slip the jab and throw the overhand I've done it many times, and it's all about timing.

Back