St. Anger vs. Chinese Democracy, which album was worse/more disappointing?

Worst of the Worst: Metallica's "St. Anger" or Guns N' Roses's "Chinese Democracy"

• Total voters
"St Anger" via being an actual Metallica album.

It's a stretch to call "Chinese Democracy" a GnR album. It's an "Axl and his merry band of misfits" album.

Never listened to Chinese Democracy but I’m still saying St Anger, I get the idea of the album though and under the circumstances it was never going to be good.

They were both pretty shitty given what those bands accomplished. I'll go with CD for Axl trying to sell us a GnR record with a guy with a bucket on his head playing guitar.

Buckethead>>>>>>>Slash

I loved Chinese Democracy. Probably shoulda just been an Axl solo album though. I always hated GnR too. And...

Buckethead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Slash

Incredulous MJ gif>>>Buckethead>>>>>>>>Slash

He craps out an album or two every month that blow away anything Slash has done.
I'll take Slash's soulful playing over BH's shredding. To each his own though.

I actually sort of liked CD. I still enjoy TWAT and Madagascar. Still don't consider it a GNR album though.

I'll take Slash's soulful playing over BH's shredding. To each his own though.

Ironically, Slash was rumored to be BH. As was Paul Gilbert---even more so rumored.

I like Slash a lot. He was cool as fuck on That Meral Show...Top Hat & Shades ~ Bucket & mask

I could never understand the Load and Reload hate. It's a couple of really fun blues/rock/metal albums. Perfect for a cruising and smoking a joint.

Metal nerds are the worst.

they are great albums. Haters sucks.

Death Magnetica was OK, better than St. Anger. I actually liked their last album, Hardwired to Self-Destruct, quite a bit. I got the album free for seeing them on tour last summer. I don't recall them even playing a song from the album, but still got it and listened to it when it came in the mail. Was pleasantly surprised.

edit: St. Anger is absolute trash tho. I am not familiar enough with CD. So I vote for St. Anger.

Load, Reload, and the Black Album are amazing. Fuck off

Chinese Democracy.
At least with St.Anger we had Load and Reload so i had an idea of the mediocre metal metallica was going to put out.

Chinese Democracy was better than 95% of rock albums that came out in that time period.

People shit on it to try to act like they are cool. If you were expecting another "Use your Illusion" or "Appetite for Destruction" 20 years you're a moron.

Very very under rated album.

St. Anger, because if the mix was better and didn't have the trash can snare I think it would be a good album. I remember that dvd that came with it, of them playing the album live in the studio sounded good. Chinese Democracy..I mean what did everyone really expect?

St. Anger disappointed me more because by the time it came out, my expectations for Chinese Democracy were basically zero.

No Slash on Chinese Democracy... That isn't even GnR then.

Huge Metallica fan here. St. Anger is one of those albums that actually get horribly worse the more I listen to it. Most albums get better the more I hear it lol.
Hey, musical experimentation and all. They have a shit ton of good music that makes up for it.

They were both pretty shitty given what those bands accomplished. I'll go with CD for Axl trying to sell us a GnR record with a guy with a bucket on his head playing guitar.
Buckethead is an incredible guitar player

''my lifestyle, determines my death style''

xVc486h.gif

It depends on the exact question.

Which album was worse? Then I'm going St Anger easily.

Which album was more disappointing? Thats more debatable. No matter how you want to slice a 17 year wait for the most expensive album recorded in history is going to have high expectations. The issue is the band played songs from it live years before it's released and studio tracks were released as well. Everyone knew what to expect from the new GNR album considering the Chinese Democracy tour started 7 years before the album came out. Cat was out of the bag and it was the most mishandled album of all time. By the time they released it the music industry was dead and everyone already heard a lot of the album. Just the shittiest way they could have released that album. They lost millions of dollars by not just simply releasing the album in 2001 when album sales were still a thing. To be fair Rose probably wouldn't have seen a dime as the record company would have had to recoup all the millions they spent on the album(the original projection for the album by the studio was 10 million albums back when they first started budgeting for it. ). Side note the original mixes for some of the tracks that I heard were better that the final overproduced mix that ended up on the record.

People have been hating on Metallica since Justice. I haven't heard much positive about them from fans since then.

Back