Bag/Sparring Glove Recommendation

68ChevyMalibu

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I’m new to boxing and need recommendations on a good glove that is comfortable and has good support for the wrist. 16oz. I would like to keep it under $100 but if i need to go over that’s no problem.

What do the amateurs fight in the USA with oz wise I’m curious? I’m guessing 10oz and once i get to that point I’ll probably purchase some winning.

As you can tell i have a set goal of fighting amateur and eventually going for a pro card fighting heavyweight. After getting out of baseball and football I need a sport and boxing seems like a great fit, I’m addicted. But im taking it one step at a time and not getting ahead of myself.

24 years old
6FT3
235lbs

Any other boxers on the forum start at 24 or later? I’m sure I’ll be one of the older guys to start boxing but i don’t care.

I’m new to boxing and need recommendations on a good glove that is comfortable and has good support for the wrist. 16oz. I would like to keep it under $100 but if i need to go over that’s no problem.

What do the amateurs fight in the USA with oz wise I’m curious? I’m guessing 10oz and once i get to that point I’ll probably purchase some winning.

As you can tell i have a set goal of fighting amateur and eventually going for a pro card fighting heavyweight. After getting out of baseball and football I need a sport and boxing seems like a great fit, I’m addicted. But im taking it one step at a time and not getting ahead of myself.

24 years old
6FT3
235lbs

Any other boxers on the forum start at 24 or later? I’m sure I’ll be one of the older guys to start boxing but i don’t care.

For bagwork and pads you can't go past Fairtex BGV9 but they are unsuitable for sparring, at your size I'd hazard you'd be better off having two pairs of gloves one for sparring and one for bag and pad work. The reason being if you use your gloves for sparring and bag work they will condense down from the bag work and be harder for when you spar meaning you could injure your sparring partner or your hands. If you have your heart set on bag and sparring gloves in one Try the Ring to Cage, they have Winning Clones and a good reputation.

I am by no means an expert on Ring to Cage gloves but I own a pair and their headgear and they have stood up to the rigors of training and sparring.

http://www.ringtocage.com/stand-up/?sort=featured&page=1

+1 for the fairtex BGV9 for the bag/pads mine are holding up well and I like them a lot

Not too sure on the cheap sparing gloves but seems like a fair amount of choice in US vs UK.....I ended up getting cleto reyes in the end

Thanks.

What’s your opinion on Twins or Title classics? Probably not much padding in the Title.

I didn't like the twins at all.....they are huge

If I was in the USA I would probably try the Ring to Cage as the sparing and get BGV9 for bag and pads

Thanks.

What’s your opinion on Twins or Title classics? Probably not much padding in the Title.
I use Twins for sparring but train Muay Thai. No complaints from any of my training partners so far. They are really big though compared to my Rivals and UMA gloves.

For bagwork and pads you can't go past Fairtex BGV9 but they are unsuitable for sparring, at your size I'd hazard you'd be better off having two pairs of gloves one for sparring and one for bag and pad work. The reason being if you use your gloves for sparring and bag work they will condense down from the bag work and be harder for when you spar meaning you could injure your sparring partner or your hands. If you have your heart set on bag and sparring gloves in one Try the Ring to Cage, they have Winning Clones and a good reputation.

I am by no means an expert on Ring to Cage gloves but I own a pair and their headgear and they have stood up to the rigors of training and sparring.

http://www.ringtocage.com/stand-up/?sort=featured&page=1

I agree with Woldog's advice. If, as you say, you're addicted to boxing, then just do it right first time.

My recoomendations:
Bag gloves: 12 oz Winning, Reyes, Rival, Fairtex
Sparring: 16 or 18 oz Winning

I wish I'd done it right first time (and the second, and the third...). I'd have actually saved money in the long run.

Hi, I've started at 30 and now I'm an amateur boxer in Italy at 36. You're not so old!
For gloves now I'm using 16 oz Grant for sparring and 14 oz TopBoxer for heavy bag, but I weight 64 kg (140 lb).
You should use 18 or 20 oz gloves.
The best gloves I've used are Winning (very expensive), TopBoxer and Sabas SS. The Mexicans Grant, Reyes and Casanova are too hard according to me.
Try with TopBoxer, they have the same padding of Winning and high quality. You can buy on eBay the stock type or contact the manufacturer for custom ones

Last edited:
Bag gloves: Rival RB1 Ultra in XL (14oz) or 14-16oz Cleto Reyes

Sparring: 16oz Winning, Rival RS1, or Adams Boxing.

I also recommend either of the two knuckle guards: Winning NG2 or Skulltec. (neither are quite necessary for Winning gloves though)

They add significant shock absorption for the heavybag and especially when hitting those dang elbows in sparring!

For amateur competition; you'll be using 12oz. Professional: 10oz (maybe 12oz in some lower level leagues).

A lot of people are recommending Winning for sparring gloves. Personally as someone who trains up to 5 days a week even I find it hard to justify the cost of Winning gloves. If you do it as hobby the gloves are expensive for what you need. But then again it comes down to what you can afford. I personally don't own any Winning gloves because they're just to expensive and I can get buy easy enough with the gloves I already own.

For bagwork and pads you can't go past Fairtex BGV9 but they are unsuitable for sparring

Could you elaborate why they are unsuitable for sparring? I did buy BGV9 12ounce for bag/pads and instantly love them. Now I am thinking about buying a 16/18ounce pair for sparring when my actual sparring gloves are worn out.

Are you a professional boxer training that often?

Last edited:
I don't spar that much anymore but I love my 16 Oz Top Ten Superfights for heavy bag workouts. The padding is great, right in front of the knuckles and it stays in shape as in forever. I got my first TopTsen back 25 years ago and I do still have them, they are 12 Oz gloves. That much about durability.
https://www.fighters-inc.com/top-ten-superfight-gloves-16oz-2041-1-223.html
The glove has a double velcro on the cuff that lends solid support to the wrist. I am reading some people find 2 velcros confusing, but to me they are fine. When I am alone I can fine tune the fastening for a better fit by using the inner or outer strap with a different tightness. I find that better than just having one velcro.
They are pretty big and round and forgive mistakes when hitting the bag at an odd angle, which happens when I work on some of the harder kickboxing bags in the gym that are hard to move by punches because they are taller than Lennox Lewis.

In gyms here people use such shitty gloves that you're doing them a favour by hitting them with BGV9s hahahahaha

I'd rather be hit by a firm glove than a super soft one that bottoms out on my face so I get a knuckle sandwich.

Back