Remember When Bob Sapp and Le Banner Fought?

TRYHARD 2001

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Mixed rules, one round K-1, one MMA, one K-1, then MMA again for the final round. Mixed rules fights lead to some memorable outcomes, but this one was memorable for how broken Sapp was, both mentally and physically. Sappu gassed within the first minute from taking punches to the gloves and body while cowering and never found his second wind. JLB was in full-on berserker mode but couldn't finish him. Say what you will about Sapp, but he has the physical ability to absorb some monstrous shots without getting KO'd, he just doesn't have the pain tolerance to go with it.

Second round is MMA and I have no idea where JLB got this supposed judo black belt from but it was obviously grappling-free judo he specialized in. Sapp has him mounted for the entire round and completely gasses himself out by the end of the first minute and kinda just sits on Jerome while breathing heavily. I've never seen anyone this tired in a fight before and not having a heart attack.

The third round involves Sapp getting his ass kicked some more. Badly. Man, he was terrible! Even with all the cheating he did, I still can't accept the fact he holds two W's over Hoost! He barely survives the round and is making his patented "He hit me mommy!" face.

Last round and Jerome's hitting sprawls on Sapp like an Iranian world freestyle champion! The fact that Sapp is moving in slow motion while his lips are turning blue is beside the point. JLB hits a single (!) then passes to mount (!!!!!!). Has no fucking idea what he's doing, gets reversed and Sapp bleeds all over him while not moving till the bell. Automatic draw, but holy hell Sapp should have hung 'em up here.

But don't take my word for it....

To be honest I don't think I ever saw that fight back in the day. It was before I got into watching MMA and the mixed ruleset turned me off I guess.. Holy hell Sapp was tough though.

I love how Bob was scared to go out for the 3rd Round.

"I have no idea where JLB got this supposed judo black belt from but it was obviously grappling-free judo he specialized in"

Most likely in a club that focuses solely on the Olympics.

Most likely in a club that focuses solely on the Olympics.

Nope. If he had a black belt in judo he would have something resembling TDD and a ground game, especially if it was a sport judo club in France, one of the most successful judo countries in the world. But he didn't. At all. That judo black belt must be fictitious.

He trainned with Bertrand Amoussou . ( brother of Karl ) . Never heard he had any Judo experience.

Was it judo, or Kyokushin he got his black belt In? Either way, not that much of a stretch to see Sapp take down JLB. The guy piledrived Nogueira into the canvas, and Hunt took down Fedor who was much better at judo that Jerome, black belt or not. Size and strength really do make a difference...

This fight is exactly the opposite of the statement, that in striking the size matters more. When Sapp fought Alan Karaev, it was another prove, that on not so high level the grappling benefits the bigger guys more. Or at least I think so.

Back