NCAA Wrestling

I see 2 gold’s (JB & Snyder), 4 silvers (Gilman, Green, Dake, and DT), and 2 bronze (Cox and Gwiz). Russia better bring their A game or we are going back to back.

Zahid is the future at 86kg. I think we see him there next year.
Yeah, I can definitely see something like that.

I think we have a strong chance for gold at 61, 65, 70, 79, 92 and I think 97 will be close (I hope Sadulaev would just stay at 92 and slowly bulk up to 97). I think Sadulaev will beat Snyder sooner or later; Sadulaev has better defense and offense than Snyder, but lacks the pace that Snyder has for a 97 wrestler. This really makes him the best at 97. 6-5 is as close as a match that you will get.

Rashidov is the favorite at 61; at 65 we have Bekbulatov - who did lose to Aliyev this year, but also schooled Aliyev earlier this year too - who will most likely be a favorite; 70 will either be olympic/world champion Soslan Ramonov or Magomed Kurbanaliev; 74 is maybe Khetag Tsabolov - I say a bronze for him; 79 will most likely be Anuiar Geduev - who is the guy at 79 to beat imo; he has been injured but he is much better at 79-; 86, maybe Naifonov? I think he can get a bronze, but he isn't quite ready for Taylor or Yazdani; 92 IF Sadulaev would be at 92, he would be the favorite for gold, but idk who else at 92; 97 SHOULD be Baitsaev.. should be - he would definitely get a silver, or gold if Snyder becomes injured; 125 maybe we can get bronze.

It will definitely be a fun world championships.

I’ve gotta think the grind of switching back and forth between styles and the huge matches he had the previous day just caught up with him. Not that Gwiz wouldn’t have won regardless of Coon doing Greco but he had to have been completely spent by the time he got to Gwiz, especially with travel too.

Good point.

I’ve gotta think the grind of switching back and forth between styles and the huge matches he had the previous day just caught up with him. Not that Gwiz wouldn’t have won regardless of Coon doing Greco but he had to have been completely spent by the time he got to Gwiz, especially with travel too.

Have we ever had anyone make both teams and then compete at worlds at both? Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone.

As for the team, the only surprises were Nahshon beating Colon and the lack of Penn State guys. Everything else was pretty much expected to me.

57 - Gilman beat Fix but Gilman's time as king of the mountain is borrowed at this point. Fix and Lee are only a year or 2 away from clipping him. If the world bracket is as weak as it was last year, then I guess we can see another Gilman medal but I'll be surprised if it happens. I think he'll win a few matches but ultimately fall short of a repeat performance.

61 - I forget who I saw tweet this but they described Nahshon as a superhero who just got his powers but still doesn't know how to use them yet. I think that's spot on. He's talented as hell but inconsistent. At this weight, if he wins a match, I'll consider it a victory. Too many beasts.

65 - I wanted to see Zain here to see how his FS game is developing as I think he has the best shot to carry the torch for the future. Logan is just too small and inconsistent to really bring home the hardware at this weight. I think he's in a similar boat to Gilman. He might have a good run and get a medal but I'd be surprised.

70 - Green has this weight on lockdown for the foreseeable future until Nolf fine tunes his FS game. Green should bring home a silver or bronze unless he gets a really shit draw.

74 - Burroughs is still the king. Should be another gold.

79 - I love the new weights as they really benefit the US and this is no better example. Dake and Taylor are both world champion caliber talent who were stuck behind freaks. Now they get to show it. Anything less than a bronze would be a disappointment. I think silver is likely with a shot at a gold.

86 - See above. Silver is the expectation. Bronze will be good. Gold is a good possibility.

92 - After Cox's WC performance, I'm apprehensive to say how I think he'll do. I think a medal is probable but not a given.

97 - Snyder...I have nothing more to say.

HWT - It's a race for 3rd. Gwiz has as good of a shot as anyone.

I think Cox gets the gold this year. He seemed to have one foot out the door last year in regards to the sport and now he seems to be all in.

Still wish he would make a full time move to tOSU or PSU to make the most of his talents.

We'll get a better feel after seeing how he does against Gwiz today.

They haven't competed in 2 years and Gwiz apparently had a shoulder injury that season.

I agree it looks like everybody is competing to be number 3 after Akgul and Petri.

Snyder posted videos of himself training with Akgul this year and he was tossing Snyder around.

Coon at least has the size to stand toe to toe with them so I'm very interested to see how he does against them.
I wouldn't say he tossed Snyder around. No doubt he was handling him comfortably but nobody got tossed around. Im not saying it wasn't a little shocking but tossed around paints a different picture for people.

I wouldn't say he tossed Snyder around. No doubt he was handling him comfortably but nobody got tossed around. Im not saying it wasn't a little shocking but tossed around paints a different picture for people.

You could tell Akgul was going light on him as well.

Have we ever had anyone make both teams and then compete at worlds at both? Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone.
In the 80s Greg Gibson was winning world/Olympic medals in both styles. in 1981 & 1982 he made both world teams and medaled in freestyle both years. He also won a sambo world title in 81 or 82.

Sam Hazewinkel has been competing in both styles at a high level for a decade. In 2014 he won the freestyle US Open and made the finals of the Greco world team trials.

Dave Schultz won a Greco National title while still in college and was already competing for world team spots in freestyle.

Teyon Ware has medaled at big tourneys in both styles domestically and internationally.

Kyle Dake actually made a Greco Junior world team in 2008 (Same year Burroughs made the junior world team in FS) and did well. He made the team by dominating Eric Grajales who was 2 years older and a really good Greco guy.

Coon is pretty incredible. Making the finals of the biggest domestic tourneys in all 3 styles in the same year.

Is it determined yet if Sadulaev is going 92 or 97?
In his lastest interview, Sadulaev said he wants revenge and to go up and rematch Snyder. I think he can definitely beat Snyder.. but damn, 92 is an easy (imo) gold medal for Sadulaev. Cox, Sharifov offer challenges, but he would beat both.

In the 80s Greg Gibson was winning world/Olympic medals in both styles. in 1981 & 1982 he made both world teams and medaled in freestyle both years. He also won a sambo world title in 81 or 82.

Sam Hazewinkel has been competing in both styles at a high level for a decade. In 2014 he won the freestyle US Open and made the finals of the Greco world team trials.

Dave Schultz won a Greco National title while still in college and was already competing for world team spots in freestyle.

Teyon Ware has medaled at big tourneys in both styles domestically and internationally.

Kyle Dake actually made a Greco Junior world team in 2008 (Same year Burroughs made the junior world team in FS) and did well. He made the team by dominating Eric Grajales who was 2 years older and a really good Greco guy.

Coon is pretty incredible. Making the finals of the biggest domestic tourneys in all 3 styles in the same year.
Don't forget Bilyal Makhov, who won a bronze in both freestyle and GR at the 2015 World Championships.

You could tell Akgul was going light on him as well.
Snyder was definitely going harder. No doubt about that. You could sense the frustration he was having. I don't think he had ever encountered someone so good/big/strong/quick before. I think he did a bit better in the 2 minute go which was also posted on YT.

Don't forget Bilyal Makhov, who won a bronze in both freestyle and GR at the 2015 World Championships.
Absolutely, Makhov is another. He actually won world bronze in Greco the year before that as well. He also won a world bronze at the junior world championships early on in his career.

Matt Lindland is another. In 1994 he entered the freestyle Pan Am Championships and in the finals he beat the Cuban Olympian/multi world medalist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back