What are you primary conscious focus's whilst lifting?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say lifting but - what I mean is, strictly athletic endeavours - that are not overtly skill based, like boxing, wrestling etc.
Athletic endeavours like, lifting, squatting, deadlifting, running, sprinting, back flips etc.

I know a lot of focus during squats is like, "proud chest", chest up, head up, don't flex the spine etc.

Then - there's the obvious focus on "bracing".
Just out of curiosity - is bracing referred to exclusively as "bracing".
Is there another, more technical term for it?

And then for lifting - I like to focus on "speed".
Not necessarily for the negative part of the rep, but for the press etc - speed is good.

In gymnastic type work like back tucks etc - speed is also good.

Anything else you focus on when training??

My main focus when lifting is doing the proscribed reps and a given weight and doing it. Active progression and getting stronger.

Bracing is usually done with a belt. It allows you to squeeze your core and glutes more and lift slightly more.

I've been focusing on muscle control and generating maximal muscle tension. This shit is hard.

My main focus when lifting is doing the proscribed reps and a given weight and doing it. Active progression and getting stronger.

Bracing is usually done with a belt. It allows you to squeeze your core and glutes more and lift slightly more.

That's kind of an "outside" focus.

I mean - in the moment - when you are lifting, what are you thinking?

"At any given moment, my thoughts are probably on pussy."

--George Carlin

as many reps as i can with light but not so light weight so i can swim faster , more elasticity and muscles have endurance on the last lap

When I was getting ready to do row’s yesterday I just started yelling “you ain’t too old to lift this shit, quit being a fucking pussy”

That’s pretty much what I’m always thinking. Don’t allow myself to quit or make excuses

Yes sprinting doesn't really require much skill.

Staying 'tight.' Especially for compound lifts.

For me that means bracing and like pulling my shoulders back when bench pressing or doing farmers walk, deadlift, etc

For isolation work like lateral raises, Its the burn and tension.

Squat: lats, stomach, glutes.

Deadlift: lats, stomach, glutes (and quads).

Bench: lats, stomach, quads, forearm/grip.

Other than that, I mostly think about not pooping myself.

proper breathing, proper form and internally saying to myself (and sometimes blurting out) "come on you fat fuck, do it and quit being a pussy".

Doesn't go over well when I say it out loud since the gym I go to has a women to men ratio of something like 10 to 1.

The chicks in the.gym

Back