Damo Marino's spindly apendages

Bought a new bike in the weekend, she goes like shit off a shovel, better learn to look after her:
https://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-mondays-daily-maintenance-and-inspection-routine
Tuesday outside of cycling I've fallen off a little and need to get my shit together.
I do a longer yoga session as my bod is adjusting to the unusual geometry of the new vehicle.
Wednesday is another longer yoga session, I've actually had some ligament/ meniscus issue with my right knee so I'm gonna hang at home instead of jits.
Friday is another longer yoga session, I'm gonna have to go see the doc my knee is fucked.

Saturday I get my bike professionally fitted, my leg can extend properly and I can really power through the hip, I do a yoga sesh in the arvo.
Sunday I do another yoga session in the morning and a myofascial release.
I'm all loosey goosy after all the yoga, it's great, I can really get down into some positions I couldn't before.

Last edited:
Monday
Post work yoga.
Bike my route in and bike the mrs' route (just under 15km) out then to jits.
We do traditional warm up at jits and then partner drills, toreando to knee on belly to switch knee on belly to back step to mount.
From closed guard we do posture break, hip bump sweep, shrimp off trapped elbow then take back and open guard to submission play using two on one of uke's sleeve.
Then we do king of the hill type game passing and submitting.
Chris pairs colors and whites, whites goal is to pass using hip pressure, colors goal is open guard play using feet as hands.

I do a couple of push up and yoga sessions and also watch some jits doco's
I could have done more this week but come Sunday arvo I feel well rested and not drained from training.

Last edited:
Monday
Bike in to work and yoga for hips and legs
Got a heart rate monitor so gonna start using it
Max rate is 220-40=180
Moderate exercise intensity: 50 to about 70 percent
Vigorous exercise intensity: 70 to about 85 percent
Heart rate reserve (HRR) subtracting your resting heart rate (avg=160) from your maximum heart rate (180) = 20
Multiply your HRR (20) by 0.7 (70 percent). Add your resting heart rate to this number =174
Multiply your HRR (20) by 0.85 (85 percent). Add your resting heart rate to this number =191
These two numbers are your training zone heart rate for vigorous intensity exercise.

Jits we do warm up then drill movement including sickle and idiot sweep.
The drills were such that focus was on transitioning. We also followed the same play from last week using open guard looking for options.
Then we do the usual king of the hill and paired rounds.
I get to roll with the main man, he lets me take his back and uses his specialty subs to tap me, he then shows me the subs.
If uke is in the dominant position feed their far collar to your near hand, continue to remove slack from the collar with your feeding hand and place your other elbow behind uke's shoulder as much as you can pinching/ driving it down hard.
There's a bit of knack to this so I'll have to spam.

Wednesday

I do a yoga session in the late arvo, just working salutation, downward dog etc.
At Jits we do a general repeat of Monday nights drills. If uke steps out of sickle sweep we re-guard and switch hooks keeping ankle grips, kick up and come up to torreando.
We also do a take-down: go collar and sleeve, step to the outside of uke's lead leg simultaneously snapping down sand hanging your weight off uke's collar, drop to your backside with your legs in a position similar to an outside glute stretch, uke should come to a turtle of sorts and you should be able to switch your hips coming up on a single.
Class was small tonight so we just rolled out.
I dug into deep half to escape a pass and my partner recognised it and sprawled his weight into me, he explained after that I can always look to go out the back.

My new toy is helping me record all my shit, it's been magic for showing me when I'm in the training zone and also an influence in terms of working toward lowering my resting heart rate/ improving cardio.

Friday I do a longer yoga session, I do bugger all in the weekend.

Last edited:
Monday
Commute to (14.5) and from (14.5) work,
I skip jits and do some housework then two yoga sessions (30min) before bed, all core and spine work, my right shoulder is glitchy.
Tuesday
Commute to (16.7km) and from (14.5) work,
Prior to work I do 20 crunches (variations of) alternating with downdog, salutation, forward fold etc, about 20min movement.
Wednesday
Commute to (16.7km) and from (14.5) work

Last edited:
Update
New job has been sucking my attention, have been spending some good quality time with the boy and am home most nights.
Jits is suffering but I don't mind, I average 30km on the bike a day, an hour and a half of yoga and jits each week.

Jits sessions have become more focused, I spam one 'pathway' in every session so-takedown/ guard pull> sweep/ pin variation/ submission. I'm also being more conservative in terms of movement in rolling and not exploding, our mats are fucken' hard and directly on top of a concrete floor.

I've also gained 5kg so am walking around at 80kg and feeling comfortable, considering doing some boxing of all things, we have the resources we can re build him.

Went back to Jits after a short rest.
Panda teaches us seoi nage and seoi to collar drag if and ankle pick if uke strips their arm away.
Today was the first day I really threw someone and it was glorious, felt bad for my partner but......summertime at the lake splat.
My back has been making way more noise than usual so I've been stretching it every day.
I've also started another bodyweight progression program, thank Christ, it's what I've been craving, a bit of self inflicted pain.......I've also been sprinting offroad on my bike, I want to find a duathlon in the mud by years end....every day porrada.

Last edited:
Messing around with double under and knee slice variation
Went to an Erin Hearle seminar, she's a cutey patooty, great spirit, very sad
Body weight is going well, dead haaangs, just hanging for 30 secs then pulling, toughness
Have taken on some wisdom from Mr Arnott, I haven't told him much of anything about what's going on for me but he can see I'm elsewhere, his voice and words and talk of the ghetto bring me around
Panda has been supplying the judo, I'm still really sketched but he's so involved in our development and so chill about it for a dude his age, way to go
I feel the panic has completely gone from me when I roll now, thank the gods, especially Crom

No rolling for a couple weeks, trying to plan to go back to my old gym. Owner is a gc, manager may have some work for me for membership. Be good to train there again.
Doing body weight workouts every day. Lunchtime sessions and cold showers.
One day push one day pull. Valume.
One day liss one day hiit. Ache.

Last edited:
My relationship is fucked and I’m desperate to not let it affect my son, sins of the father and all that.
There are days when I’m walking down the street and have an irrational urge to start screaming.

Last edited:
This is week four with no jits, my bike has also been in the shop for a week, whoever built it stripped the bottom bracket thread, cunt, I'm starting to feel weirdly pussified
A standard bodyweight session is aprox 25min I warm up and down with the exercise I intend to use IE if I do chins I'll do inverted rows to warm up
Then I'll either do 3 descending ladders with as little rest as pos, five sets of amrap or hiit session of down ups
With the ladder I'm adding a rep to the top set and removing one from the bottom each week
I'll alternate pushing and pulling depending on how much I'm aching then weekends I'll do some fun stuff like animal movement or yoga or root....rooty toot toot

Mostly I just make shit up, as long as it's harder than previous then all goods

So today I did 3*11 Australian's to warm up
Then 3*5*5 pulls w 1min break between sub sets
Then 8,8,7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4 Australian's to warm down

Last edited:
Week 5 with no Jits.....
Just found out the big homie Peter Vela had a knee reco and he's out for 9 months to a year so I don't feel sorry for myself as much.
I have my bike back and a trailer for my boy so I can drop him off in the morning, dude larvs it.

Lunch time session I do 3*12 incline pushups to warm up.
A descending ladder of pushups of 12 to 1 with a kip between sets and no rest, so 78 pushups and 12 kips.
5 pushups, 5 inverted rows> 4,4,3,3,2,1, so 22 pushups and 22 rows.
Then I do mixed grip pulls and crunches/triangles to warm down a little.
So 21 pulls and 100 crunches.
Little to no rest, felt like a fucken weapon.....

According to my Garmin the following took 22 minutes:
5*12 Australians
6 pull-ups 20 crunches
9 pull-ups 20 crunches
6 pull-ups 20 crunches
6 pull-ups 20 crunches
10 pull-ups 20 crunches
8>2Australians paired with 8>2crunches so 35 and 35
4 mixed grip pull-ups each side then 10 crunches
3 mixed grip pull-ups each side then 10 crunches
2 mixed grip pull-ups each side then 10 crunches

195 Australians, 165 crunches, 69 pull-ups.

Last edited:
I do 3*13 incline pushups to warm up = 33
A descending ladder of pushups of 13 to 2 with a kip between sets = 90 pushups and 12 kips
10>1 pushups and 10>1 crunches = 55 pushups and 55 crunches
Forward folding cat dog cobra thingy

Last edited:
Thursday not a great deal.
Had a few darts recently, got one of the homies bday's in the weekend so good opportunity to sthaaap.
Maybe 60 Australians then some mixed grip (commando) pulls.
Just doing sets of two every ten seconds and trying to get as high to the (over) bar as possible.
Also still figuring out the get over the bar portion of the muscle up.

5*12 Australians - time to increase difficulty.
1 Kip up to my hips then a muscle up off a step to 5 dips.
I do this for about 15 minutes with a max of 1 min rest between 'sets'.
Then 5*10 Australians with little rest.

10*8 Australians with little to no rest, back on the bike too

The following took me 18 Minutes:
I do a descending ladder of pushups of 14 to 3 with little to no rest =102
Then a muscle up to 5 dips*5 = 5 muscle ups and 25 dips
Then 20 crunches + 5 commandos each arm *2 = 40 crunches +20 commandos
Then 20 crunches *2 =40 crunches

Last edited:
The following took me 20 minutes:
3*14 Australians=42.
Sets of pull ups with minimal rest between:
6,10,6,6,9,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,4,3,2,2,4,3,2,3,2=85.
A couple of muscle ups using a step to assist, I slowed the exit right down.

Tore a callous.......will be pressing for the next week or so.

Had some hard sessions on the bike and snuck into absolute for a drill and a roll.
I had a warm up roll with one of the homies from Clifton hill who's also an absolute member, I got a couple of sweeps and he played his game and got the chokes.
Then I drilled a couple of nifty closed guard techniques with Andy the Irish - Tiocfaidh ár lá.
He had several he wanted to drill but the one that stuck with me was........pin your opponents hand to the mat with same side hand and swim under their arm pit with far side arm, body and torso, this will break them down so you can come to the back, pummel through to get the half nelson choke.

Hand has healed after some pulling at the skin flap and mineral turpentine, time to do some bar work
10*8 Australians =80
5,4,3,2 commando pulls each side =28
5*5 dips on horizontal bar =25
5* (8 Australians &20 crunches) =40 &100

Back