Be Honest: do you even train throws/takedowns at your BJJ academy?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
At my academy we can go a month or more before having a random class where we drill takedowns or hip/judo throws. To say its a big gaping hole in our training in an understatmenet.

What surprised me though is so far I've competed against guys from established gyms like Atos, Gracie Humaita, AoJ, and others and I was surprised that in every single case within seconds of starting it usually just ended with us in the ground in a half guard scramble, with no takedown points awarded.

It made me wonder if takedowns/throw training is lacking in most BJJ gyms. How often do you train and drill them at your academy?

All day, every day, 100 .

Nah, just a little warm up. We have weekly themes. Sometimes it’s a takedown. Then we start from standing on Monday and Wednesdays. I still start from standing except for Saturday’s when the mat is packed.

They sure seem confident all fights end up on the ground. I guess they included grapplers getting KOed, lacking sufficient clinch or double/single leg, in which case they would be correct, all fights do end up on the ground.:)

Yesss!! Spacetime and EvenFlow. One thread :)

We practice them. I usually just go through the motions. I hate takedowns.

3 rounds of tachiwaza followed by 8 rounds of newaza .

All day, every day, 100 .

Nah, just a little warm up. We have weekly themes. Sometimes it’s a takedown. Then we start from standing on Monday and Wednesdays. I still start from standing except for Saturday’s when the mat is packed.
are youstill at cesars?

Nope. Sometimes we drill them, but we almost never start standing, so the drills are useless. I don't really mind, I need healthy joints to do all the cool other shit I want to do. If I ever want to become a killer on the streetz, I'll pick up some muay thai or something.

Yes/No.

Yes we train them, no it wasn't a bjj school.

Eastern bloc Judo / Sambo / Gi / Nogi ftw.

At my school every white belt class starts with a standing lesson, which can include of a handful of methods of taking a fight to the ground (slip a punch to double leg, throw a jab to double leg, trip from rear clinch, outside leg hook from clinch, body fold from clinch, pull guard from double unders).

Advanced class will depend on the block of instruction for that cycle. But there is an entire block of takedowns and throws.

I train with a couple of collegiate wrestlers and judo black belts. I could train takedowns all the time if I wanted to, but I’d have to make the effort. We almost never train them in class.

Not every class but pretty often for technique and drills and at least two of the main hard sparring sessions of the week start from standing otherwiseit is up to our discretion once free rolling starts.

My instructor is a judo blackbelt and was a highschool wrestler. He goes over a stand up technique a month, most months anyways. A couple times a week he stays after class and trains with the comp guys, but all are welcome. During this time rounds start standing since the mat is a lot emptier.

Started at an Atos affiliated gym 3 months ago, 8 minute rolls every roll starts standing. Took a while to get used to I'm starting to like it. Honestly at first it was super odd, I was used to starting on my knees but now I am way more comfortable with both takedowns and effective guard pulls.

Yes/No.

Yes we train them, no it wasn't a bjj school.

Eastern bloc Judo / Sambo / Gi / Nogi ftw.

The question was do you train them at your BJJ academy. Why did you still feel the need to reply?

First week of the month is takedowns at my old club. And invariably the takedowns will be connected. (ie: All single underhook stuff. All sacrifice throws. All hip throws. Throws From Russian 2 on 1 etc.)

We always start standing, for the drilling part, I would say that it's about 1/10 of the techniques in a week. Either takedowns or takedown defense. We have an old Judo blackbelt that do 2 or 3 techniques when he's there and our main coach is ok in wrestling. There's also a lot of takedowns in the MMA class.

Back