My Gun Store Experiences

Can you buy stripped lowers and have them marked as "other"?

The way it’s being told to me? No. Any lower that is not fixed mag or pre ban will make a person guilty of constructive possession of AW components, even though you can legally own a new build “other” AR. Makes no sense right?

Basically, the state hates that the “other” construction effectively negates the AWB. So they’ve essentially made it so only FFL-07’s can build them in any manner they will recognize. Or at least that is how it’s being conveyed to me.

Again, just wondered how they handle private builds in free states. I’m all about that PC Carbine right now.

The way it’s being told to me? No. Any lower that is not fixed mag or pre ban will make a person guilty of constructive possession of AW components, even though you can legally own a new build “other” AR. Makes no sense right?

Basically, the state hates that the “other” construction effectively negates the AWB. So they’ve essentially made it so only FFL-07’s can build them in any manner they will recognize. Or at least that is how it’s being conveyed to me.

So what does your states "other" AR's look like?16" build without a buffer tube assembly?

Again, just wondered how they handle private builds in free states.

I buy a stripped lower online, get it sent to my ffl, I go to my ffl and fill out 4473, they mark it as other, I pass nics, I walk out the door with the lower after a total of 5 minutes and can do whatever I want with it as long as I am in keeping with nfa rules. I can build a pistol, the next day turn it into a rifle, and the next day turn it back into a pistol.

Edit, to clarify, legally, if you want to switch between pistol and rifle you must build it as a pistol first. Then you can switch. So build it as a pistol, take a picture and then do what you want. Though I have no idea how they would ever tell what order you did it.

Last edited:
So what does your states "other" AR's look like?16" build without a buffer tube assembly?
upload_2018-6-28_21-8-1.jpeg

I posted these earlier. An AR “other” is.....
OAL > 26 inches = not an AOW.
Barrel > 12 inches and permanent VFG = not a pistol.
No Stock = not a rifle.

Most are rocking 12.5 barrels and either SB braces or KAK Shockwaves to get OAL over 26. Here is one a person spiffed up.
FC76A33C-B2F5-42DF-B175-F2864BE33542.jpeg

@Roaming East, has this guy ever came to your gun store before?
terminator1.jpg

View attachment 399229

No Stock = not a rifle.

Most are rocking 12.5 barrels and either SB braces or KAK Shockwaves to get OAL over 26. Here is one a person spiffed up.
View attachment 399237

My bad, that's right, forgot you posted them. Have you tried calling a quality company to see if they will build and sell you a set up like this?

My bad, that's right, forgot you posted them. Have you tried calling a quality company to see if they will build and sell you a set up like this?

No. Now it’s a matter of principle for me and I’m frugal. I don’t feel neutered AR’s are worth $1k+. I don’t feel 25 year old lowers are worth $1k either. So to that end, I’m just gonna bide my time until I retire and move where I won’t have to deal with crap like that.

Like I said, that new Ruger Carbine is the scratch for the itch I got right now. Until such a time as spending over $1k gets me something I might actually want.....
upload_2018-6-28_22-36-35.jpeg

Lol, Just to finish off my experience with a discussion I was having with a local LGS owner. All I can say is that interpretation of the AW laws are about as clear as mud between competing stores.

Lol, Just to finish off my experience with a discussion I was having with a local LGS owner. All I can say is that interpretation of the AW laws are about as clear as mud between competing stores.
its a feature, not a bug. If the law is super murky, it lets the ATF 'interpret' things in whatever way is politically expedient.

Most LGS I've been to price-gouge and have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to AR15s. "Well this Bushmaster or DPMS is just as good as a Colt..."
Governor Gun Club in the metro Atlanta area and Shooters in Jacksonville, FL are GTG though.

weird. in pa, most of the gun shops seem to only hire mall ninjas who don't really know shit.
And they try to sell you on all the tacticool airsoft crap from the likes of NCStar and Leapers/UTG (seriously, they're airsoft companies).

View attachment 399229

No Stock = not a rifle.

View attachment 399237
The Shockwave Blade is a decent stock too (the ATF said it's legal to shoulder a pistol brace).

its a feature, not a bug. If the law is super murky, it lets the ATF 'interpret' things in whatever way is politically expedient.

Would it blow your mind if I told you the ATF is not the problem here? The ATF and it’s rulings are basically what’s allowing 07’s to give gun owners new manufacture options here. My previous statement was more an observation that my state is loaded with pussy FFL’s that would spread misinformation about the other FFL’s that stand up to the state gun grabbers for the sake of a buck. It’s a problem you guys down south probably don’t have to deal with.

@X-Pac Rules it’s not a stock. It’s an arm brace. Careful bro, around here we don’t want the wrong gun grabbing libtard hearing us make an honest mistake when we talk. The new bump stock ban has shown that even ATF Firearms and Technology Division can be ignored.
<TheDonald>

Hey @Roaming East question I haven’t seen asked here

You ever get a person come into your store that wants to buy a gun that day, that something about them sets off red flags where you feel they're trying to get a gun to do something bad with it?

Has it ever happened? What do you do if it did?

Hey @Roaming East question I haven’t seen asked here

You ever get a person come into your store that wants to buy a gun that day, that something about them sets off red flags where you feel they're trying to get a gun to do something bad with it?

Has it ever happened? What do you do if it did?
Yes, though its not as common as you'd think. I'd say the PRIMARY 'red flag' we get are attempts at straw purchases. Some of the tells to that are guys who've never been to the store specifically asking to buy a firearm they didnt even inquire to us having or asking to view it first. Thats a big tip off because who drops 600+ bills on a gun they dont even bother to hold and inspect? They generally arent interested in accessories and rarely will by ammo at the same time. They come in, almost exact cash, to buy a specific gun or guns, dont really exhibit a 'shoppers' attitude like small talk and the general face to face bullshitting that gun stores are known for. Lot of hispanic males fall into that category.

Second group are the women obviously buying guns for the boyfriend/husband. These CAN be sketchy because sometimes it happens right before hunting season or the holidays so its probably pretty legit that the lady wants to surprise her man with a new Duck gun or deer rifle. The more...interesting cases are again, women coming in with a hand written note on exactly what to buy, and RARELY are they guns you'd expect a woman to be interested in. When a lady walks into the store and the first words out of her mouth after one of us says good morning is "I'd like to buy your Mossberg 590M" while glancing at a note in her hand, we start the whole 'are you buying it as a gift or are you about to commit a serious felony by acquiring a firearm for a person with a criminal record?'.

I think the ' angsty loner weirdo in trenchcoat goes to buy 10 guns' thing is a myth. I've been pushing firepower for years now and havent run across anything like that.

What a great thread! Awesome insight into the world of gun sales, Roaming East.

I just got back on Sherdog after being away for years, and I love this "new" weapons sub-forum.
I'll be hanging around here quite a bit.

What a great thread! Awesome insight into the world of gun sales, Roaming East.

I just got back on Sherdog after being away for years, and I love this "new" weapons sub-forum.
I'll be hanging around here quite a bit.
Happy to oblige. Interesting thing of note: We've seen a surge in warranty/repair work on guns, mostly pistols, exhibiting extensive wear or outright cracked frames or other such damage. Normally will get half a dozen or so per quarter but ive sent off as of today, 32 guns this period. Y'all be careful with those hand loads.

Happy to oblige. Interesting thing of note: We've seen a surge in warranty/repair work on guns, mostly pistols, exhibiting extensive wear or outright cracked frames or other such damage. Normally will get half a dozen or so per quarter but ive sent off as of today, 32 guns this period. Y'all be careful with those hand loads.

Have you seen a lot of Sig's in for warranty?

Do you guys carry any Winchester Ranger RA556B 64 gr BSB?

Back