Is there any point of training more then 1 hour at a time?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
If you are training for MMA/Boxing/Combat sports, shouldn't your session mirror what the competition is going to be? GSP recently stated that he doesn't train longer then 30 minutes per session as that mimics the intensity that a fight will be. If you are training for a 3x5minute fight, shouldn't you do 5 minute rounds? Is there any point of going to BJJ class for 3 hours?

Lets say you come in, warm up for 15 minutes, do 15-20 minutes of drilling, and then do 15-20 minutes of rolling/sparring and then leave. The whole session lasts 1 hour. Is there any point of going beyond that? You could do that 5 times a week as opposed to going to a 2-3 hour class 3 times a week and having to take rest days due to intensity. You might even be able to go twice a day on some of those days if you limit it to an hour.

Point is, besides doing long distance running, or a weight lifting session, is there anything that you honestly need to do for more then an hour at a time?

If you are training for MMA/Boxing/Combat sports, shouldn't your session mirror what the competition is going to be? GSP recently stated that he doesn't train longer then 30 minutes per session as that mimics the intensity that a fight will be. If you are training for a 3x5minute fight, shouldn't you do 5 minute rounds? Is there any point of going to BJJ class for 3 hours?

Lets say you come in, warm up for 15 minutes, do 15-20 minutes of drilling, and then do 15-20 minutes of rolling/sparring and then leave. The whole session lasts 1 hour. Is there any point of going beyond that? You could do that 5 times a week as opposed to going to a 2-3 hour class 3 times a week and having to take rest days due to intensity. You might even be able to go twice a day on some of those days if you limit it to an hour.

Point is, besides doing long distance running, or a weight lifting session, is there anything that you honestly need to do for more then an hour at a time?
No. For combat sports conditioning, short and sweet is the ticket. If you’re training for 3 hours, you’re not training hard enough.

GSP has built up a tolerance to fight pace and has the IQ not to completely gass out. You need to build a base. That takes years. Absolutely no disrespect to you but GSP is on another level.

Also, do what feels good. If you feel 1 hour is enough and you got what you needed then perfect. If you feel 1hr and 25mins makes you feel great then perfect. Me personally 45mins steady weight lifting suits me.

Not sure about this.

The whole point of training is that you separate training different components and different systems. And different components have different needs in terms of time, and in intensity. It makes sense to do some types of training with the timing of a fight in mind (e.g. some of your conditioning). But other parts, especially things that are about building up skill and experience it seems foolish to limit yourself.

Even conditioning shouldn't always be done to the same timeline as a fight. Ultimately you may be building up to going hard for 3 or 5 three minute rounds, but the way that you get there is not just to do hard cardio for three or five minute rounds. In the same way that the way you get a really good 5k time is not just to run 5k every time as fast as you can.

A 3 hour BJJ class is likely a little ambitious if you're just doing it for fun. Although 3 hours could be separated into many smaller units of focus.

Oye i wish i had the time to disect this.
Yes there is a point to longer sessions than an hour.
Research motor learning in regards to skill acquisition and retention.

If you are elite... Play it by ear.

is there a point ?yes ..is it worth the effort ? probably not

Last edited:
No. For combat sports conditioning, short and sweet is the ticket. If you’re training for 3 hours, you’re not training hard enough.
no, i disagree
i am busy with something just give me like a hour ill be back and ill explain ... people on sherdog are very meticulous about grammar and will do anything to mess with me so ill be right back and i will tell you a story on why training for 3 hours if you can is not a waste of time

Last edited:
What do you mean by ''training'' THEN doing 1 more hour?

Or did you mean ''than''?

I don't train BJJ anymore and I'm in my late 30's now. I feel like a hard hour per day is about the most I can do before injuries start to have a more negative impact.

That said, if I had more time I would love to incorporate some more low key training, like a yoga class or just a few extra sessions of LISS or whatever. But with 2 young kids, time is at a premium these days.

Intense activities will leave you mostly done after an hour anyway. Central nervous system fatigue. Natural bodybuilders train (with weights) 6 times a week for about 45 mins to an hour. Frequency over volume.

Super low intensity activities like walking can be pushed for longer (but again natural bodybuilders don’t like to push liss past 30 mins to ward against catabolism), with high intensity activities likely leaving you drained after more than 1.5 hours and unable to fully recover. If you are a genetic freak (high natural test, thick joints/muscle shape, super low metabolism etc) and have good/great genetics you might be able to train longer than 45 mins or an hour 6 days a week

Gsp trains twice a day so his over all volume and frequency would be high (reflecting his elite genetics).

Oye i wish i had the time to disect this.
Yes there is a point to longer sessions than an hour.
Research motor learning in regards to skill acquisition and retention.

If you are elite... Play it by ear.

That's the hardest jump to make, moving to a state of flow, listening to your body and doing what's right for yourself.

Depends on the intensity of the training. Everything has its place.

If you lack skills then you need to put in that time. Knowledge is compound interest.

Generally I keep my sessions short and sweet. I use 12 4 min rounds with 30 sec rests. We try to mimick real life intensity.

If you are live sparring or your workouts are geared towards cardio and muscular endurance, I think and hour should be about tops. But, if you are doing light drills or working solely on technique, I see no limit as to how long you can work.

If you are live sparring or your workouts are geared towards cardio and muscular endurance, I think and hour should be about tops. But, if you are doing light drills or working solely on technique, I see no limit as to how long you can work.

Agreed. You could literally drill a sweep for 2 hours straight and it wouldn't have you beat up compared to sparring or lifting weights. I guess its very dependent on skill level.

When you train for a sport where the other guy is training to kick your ass, you generally train as much as you can so that you know that you trained harder than the other guy. if you want call it at an hour, you will get your ass kicked by the other guy.

When you train for a sport where the other guy is training to kick your ass, you generally train as much as you can so that you know that you trained harder than the other guy. if you want call it at an hour, you will get your ass kicked by the other guy.

Well I'm not one to speak from experience in mma, but in Judo. After about 30min of live sparring in Judo I'm just sloppy in technique. I'm better off slowing down and doing drills. Hard sparring does build character however. So for that yea I do think you have to put yourself through hell some, just not every day.

One thing of interest to me is the notion that training "harder" is better. To a degree...yes, you can't just train 20min total each day and say you're done. But I'm more interested in training efficiently and adequately. That may very well mean you have to hit the mat 2 hours a day simply because you are severely out of shape or you're facing a wrestler and you just can't get it done with little training each day. You may have to spend an extra 30min getting out of mount positions, or turtle, or whatever. I think I just value soft sparring and technique drills at half speed more than some. I think that's where you learn the most. But you can't put the icing on the cake without live sparring. I think there just needs to be a balance. I also want to slow it down so that I don't spend hard work doing the wrong technique.

I still think when you are ready, you are ready. Sometimes that extra training may work against you. Spend that time exploring other avenues to success that won't physically drain you.

Intense activities will leave you mostly done after an hour anyway. Central nervous system fatigue. Natural bodybuilders train (with weights) 6 times a week for about 45 mins to an hour. Frequency over volume.

Super low intensity activities like walking can be pushed for longer (but again natural bodybuilders don’t like to push liss past 30 mins to ward against catabolism), with high intensity activities likely leaving you drained after more than 1.5 hours and unable to fully recover. If you are a genetic freak (high natural test, thick joints/muscle shape, super low metabolism etc) and have good/great genetics you might be able to train longer than 45 mins or an hour 6 days a week

Gsp trains twice a day so his over all volume and frequency would be high (reflecting his elite genetics).

Does that 6 hour per week limit figure for non-elite athletes include both S&C *and* sport specific martial arts training? In other words, do normal athletes generally have a limit of 6 productive hours per week to do all of their lifting, running, BJJ, bagwork, etc.?

(And if so, are there ways to get around this limit?)

I believe if you are new to mma and have no base, you absolutely MUST train for more than an hour.

I would do 1 1/2 hours bjj then 1 1/2 hours boxing/kickboxing/MT when I first started just because there was so much to learn and so little time.

But if you are doing 2 a days then splitting them up is even more ideal.
If I train once a day, it’s always for at least 2 hours unless I’m purposely taking a “half” day

I saw a vid recently of chael talking about training with GSP and how gsp only trains hard for 25min intervals. He mentioned in drills gsp perfects everything he does and won't finish a submission until everything is perfect. My assumption is gsp trains hard multiple times a day, but prob has adequate rest in between (morning wo and later an evening wo). GSP basically only trains for 25min because that's the max time in a fight. Since he's always been champ that makes sense. You learn how to pace by doing it this way. Some may disagree, but there's only about 5 other guys that can be mentioned as one of the greats like gsp. Link is below...and I didn't re-watch so correct me if I got anything wrong.

Back