I'm about to join a boxing club, is it too late to train?

DMAN978

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi i'm 21 years of age and I always wanted to a combat sport. Is it too late for boxing. I also have grand mal siezures. But I was always told I could fight since I was a fast southpaw. My dad was an amateur he even trained me some. So is it too late?

Last edited:
Hi i'm 21 years of age and I always wanted to a combat sport. Is it too late for for fight. I also have grand mal siezures. So is it too late

Its never too old to learn to fight or compete. For the grand mal seizures though you might not be medically cleared to fight. It depends on the cause of the seizures so give your GP a call and ask.

In any case, goto the gym anyway its enjoyable, and you can still spar.

Anthony Joshua was 18 when he first walked into a gym to box, he's doing ok for himself, butr dont be surprised if some 15 year old makes you look like an absolute idiot and boxes your face off

You can always train just to get in better shape and feel better about yourself. It's never too late for that and boxing is a good way to get fit.

I think if you want to compete (at a high level) that will depend on where you are now and that medical condition. I think you can always try out boxing if it seems fun to you, then you should get a feel if you are any good or have a lot to improve on. I think you get a good picture after going there a few times, rather than asking online. Also if you (can) spar you should consider always informing your sparring partners about your condition so they don't go all in while you black out or something. People tend to respect medical issues, if they don't, do not spar that jerk. If you are physically out of shape (can't run for even 15 minutes), weak muscles etc then don't rush to compete, build yourself up or your only gonna get injuries.

Anyway my suggestion is: go try boxing, some people there will be better (most likely) and hopefully some will be worse. Start working out on some mitts/heavy bags/lightsparring etc and don't rush to compete unless you feel ready. And possible consult your doctors about boxing with grand mal siezures to get more perspectives.

Anthony Joshua was 18 when he first walked into a gym to box, he's doing ok for himself, butr dont be surprised if some 15 year old makes you look like an absolute idiot and boxes your face off
Sergio Martinez was 20 I believe

What does that even mean?

There are several types of seizures that people can suffer from, my son has peti mal seizures, and as such had to stop boxing(these are more commonly known as absense seizures), what the OP is talking about it what most people would call an Epileptic Seizure, even though they are all linked to brain activity.

I think as you have an abvious visible seizure, it is obvious for anyone sparring/training you when you are having a seizure, so explain that to the gym you are joining.

Good luck BTW, and keep us updated.

It's never too late mate.

But I'm not sure they'll allow you to spar given your medical history and for insurance purposes. You would definatley not be licenced by any board.

So..

If they ask you to sign a waiver you either lie or chance it and tell the truth. Problem is if you do lie it's already kinda a betrayal of trust..

What does that even mean?
If I'm correct it's a tonic clonic seizure. Which means full body convulsions usually, normally individually defined. Maybe people have long ones or short. Being punched in the head isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
There are several types of seizures that people can suffer from, my son has peti mal seizures, and as such had to stop boxing(these are more commonly known as absense seizures), what the OP is talking about it what most people would call an Epileptic Seizure, even though they are all linked to brain activity.

I think as you have an abvious visible seizure, it is obvious for anyone sparring/training you when you are having a seizure, so explain that to the gym you are joining.

Good luck BTW, and keep us updated.

Thanks. You seem knowledgeable. Do you really think he should go on with boxing? I wouldnt want to spar with someone who could get seizures.

Thank guys I would hate for the stuff that my dad taught me to go to waste. With me being a southpaw I would hate for that to go to waste.

Thanks. You seem knowledgeable. Do you really think he should go on with boxing? I wouldnt want to spar with someone who could get seizures.

He will be fine as long as people know about his condition, my son however has a different type of seizure, which means he can often look like he is 'spaced out', and he doesnt know what he is doing as his body just shuts down for 20-30 seconds at a time, now that is kind of dangerous when you have someone hitting you in the face.

The OP just needs to make sure he is joining a good gym, if you have assholes in there who just want to look great knocking everyone out in the gym, then it is a bad move, and if the gym doesnt stop that shit happening, then its a real shitty gym(this may apply to MMA than boxing right now, i have heard some horror stories from MMA gyms, but the likes of Eubank jnr are also a fucking asshole with things like this).

I think the main thing is, just talk to the owner/trainer of the gym, and make sure nobody is going to take the piss

Nah man you aint gonna get any younger, go do the shit now or you'll regret it. You might realistically not be able to go ammy cuz of seizure thing but thats no big deal. Train hard learn and enjoy yourself.

I would also be sure to let the coaches know about your medical issues just so somone will know what to do incase you end up having a seizure. Have fun and good luck!

Not sure Seizures and getting punched in the head is a great mix, but nothing wrong with training.

I can't picture any coach / colleague do sparring with him. Even with a waiver signed. But hey doesnt hurt to ask but I would also always talk this through with your Neurologist.

At 40 you will realise just how young you were at 21. Do it!

what's up with all these people on Sherdog wanting to box and have seizures or other brain related issues?

Back