What makes Anderson Silva appear more aware and in control

ConcreteCracker

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anderson Silva in general opinion is one of the greatest if not he is the G.O.A.T. If you ask why it would be extremely easy to answer. He has the most flashiest and technical skills he pulls out of his hat and a lot of cases it looks like it's with ease regardless of who he fights or has fought.

Why though, what makes him so successful, why in comparison to other great strikers side by side or competing does he not only look like he's about 5 steps ahead but it looks like they do what he wants them to do and has more elements to him? If you name the greatest strikers you could think of in any sport. It looks like they lack elements in comparison.

Anderson Silva looks like he has a **WAY** deeper understanding of striking in the octagon and I have not in any other sport involving striking including K.1 and Boxing have as much control with striking using similar tricks and tactics as well as him.

Great All Time Strikers like Jose Aldo, Renan Barao, T.j Dillashaw, Dominick Cruz, Pedro Rizzo, Maurice Smith, Bas Rutten, Anthony Johnson, Chuck Liddell, Conor McGregor, Cain Velasquez, Wanderlei Silva, Jon Jones, George St-Pierre, Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, Edson Barboza, Tony Ferguson, Fedor Emelianenko and even Professional Strikers such as

Mirko Cro Cop, Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, Stephen Thompson, Uriah Hall, Alistair Overeem and Donald Cerrone still pale in comparison. To me after binge watching Anderson Silva other strikers look like the same story in different guises.

Stand toe to toe, feint, stalk, feint, strike, blocked, return, slip, blocked, return etc.

Obviously there are set ups, different types of footwork, deeply trained arsenals and more things involved but that's generally what it starts to look like to me.

So I want to discuss and learn on what makes Anderson Silva so great, what is he working with? how does he makes them work? What small details does he have that makes the whole picture? How he has so much control in fights and what makes him more dangerous than others?

No one yet has really caught on to the elements or rather aspects in the stand up that Anderson possess.

Now I mean no disrespect with this post. A magician never reveals their tricks. I feel I could benefit from these techniques for self defensive purposes and by no means do I have a dream to pursue an M.M.A career. Not to give off that I would by any means have the potential to be a formidable foe even for hypothetical sake. I believe Fighting is an essential and any tool especially from an all time great that worked against other greats would help anyone.

Now that all of that's out of the way I want to list off the varies of differences and tools that i have noticed that differs Anderson Silva from any other M.M.A fighter and please leave a comment if you notice, point something out or have knowledge on his tricks and techniques.

it's easier to spot out greatness or a fighters forte when they're not as developed. I want you guys to take this method with you if you ever want to dissect your favorite fighters and learn from their greatness.

Lets go earlier into his career so we can see the staple of his arsenal in its purity.

Anderson Silva V.S Fabrício Camões

Immediately I notice Anderson Silva is using some Boxing distance illusions. He seems like he's closer and about to attack which provokes Fabricio to preemptive.

upload_2018-6-8_0-56-53-png.390595

upload_2018-6-8_0-57-22-png.390597

This right here I believe is the core of his arsenal, this tactic deflects strikes, keeps distance, allows you to counter and be fully mobile and also can deny takedown attempts. The Jab was a failed attempt and Fabricio in fear throws the same jab moving forward off course. Anderson then steps back to an orthodox stance while keeping distance then returns with a right straight over the top.

upload_2018-6-8_12-45-46-png.390747

After Anderson hits Fabricio with a right straight Fabricio in a desperate attempt shoots for a off balanced takedown in which Anderson postures his arms out once more to deny the attempt

upload_2018-6-8_13-5-42-png.390757

He also steps his lead back to ensure the denial of the takedown.

He also has great clinch pressure, clinch control and the threat of the Cross Face used to set up knees. In conjunction this will make a fighter with lesser control want to break out and move back HENCE why so many fighters back-peddle except for most Wrestlers.

Earlier in the fight he landed a knee from his arms postured out

upload_2018-6-8_13-13-39-png.390763

upload_2018-6-8_13-10-33-png.390759

With that successful knee that rocked Fabricio earlier, now Fabricio desperately tries to break Anderson's cross face by pushing Anderson's left forearm up and move to Anderson's right side against the ropes to attain an double under. Anderson immediately uses this opportunity to Clinch pass and get an over under and pressure Fabricio against the elastic ropes.

upload_2018-6-8_13-23-9-png.390765

Anderson Silva in this fight also used a smart tactic which was to pressure his opponent against the ropes to under hook his legs to pretty much attain top mount.

upload_2018-6-8_13-24-7-png.390767

So when they both slid off of the ropes it was an easily attained mount in favor of Anderson Silva.

upload_2018-6-8_14-31-38.png

Much more soon.

I would love to give credit where it's due

Wilson Kayden
I used a similar or watered down version of his illustration of distance deception. Nonetheless his video helped a lot. Please do check this out

genghis711
Uploaded the video of Anderson Silva V.S Fabrico Comes so if you want to see the full video for your self please check it out

By no means do I want to take anything other than knowledge from my post. Please give credit to both these You Tubers. Thank You.

The gifs arent really working

Anderson Silva in general opinion is one of the greatest if not he is the G.O.A.T. If you ask why it would be extremely easy to answer. He has the most flashiest and technical skills he pulls out of his hat and a lot of cases it looks like it's with ease regardless of who he fights or has fought.

Why though, what makes him so successful, why in comparison to other great strikers side by side or competing does he not only look like he's about 5 steps ahead but it looks like they do what he wants them to do and has more elements to him? If you name the greatest strikers you could think of in any sport. It looks like they lack elements in comparison.

Anderson Silva looks like he has a **WAY** deeper understanding of striking in the octagon and I have not in any other sport involving striking including K.1 and Boxing have as much control with striking using similar tricks and tactics as well as him.

Great All Time Strikers like Jose Aldo, Renan Barao, T.j Dillashaw, Dominick Cruz, Pedro Rizzo, Maurice Smith, Bas Rutten, Anthony Johnson, Chuck Liddell, Conor McGregor, Cain Velasquez, Wanderlei Silva, Jon Jones, George St-Pierre, Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, Edson Barboza, Tony Ferguson, Fedor Emelianenko and even Professional Strikers such as

Mirko Cro Cop, Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, Stephen Thompson, Uriah Hall, Alistair Overeem and Donald Cerrone still pale in comparison. To me after binge watching Anderson Silva other strikers look like the same story in different guises.

Stand toe to toe, feint, stalk, feint, strike, blocked, return, slip, blocked, return etc.

Obviously there are set ups, different types of footwork, deeply trained arsenals and more things involved but that's generally what it starts to look like to me.

So I want to discuss and learn on what makes Anderson Silva so great, what is he working with? how does he makes them work? What small details does he have that makes the whole picture? How he has so much control in fights and what makes him more dangerous than others?

No one yet has really caught on to the elements or rather aspects in the stand up that Anderson possess.

Now I mean no disrespect with this post. A magician never reveals their tricks. I feel I could benefit from these techniques for self defensive purposes and by no means do I have a dream to pursue an M.M.A career. Not to give off that I would by any means have the potential to be a formidable foe even for hypothetical sake. I believe Fighting is an essential and any tool especially from an all time great that worked against other greats would help anyone.

Now that all of that's out of the way I want to list off the varies of differences and tools that i have noticed that differs Anderson Silva from any other M.M.A fighter and please leave a comment if you notice, point something out or have knowledge on his tricks and techniques.

it's easier to spot out greatness or a fighters forte when they're not as developed. I want you guys to take this method with you if you ever want to dissect your favorite fighters and learn from their greatness.

Lets go earlier into his career so we can see the staple of his arsenal in its purity.

Anderson Silva V.S Fabrício Camões

Immediately I notice Anderson Silva is using some Boxing distance illusions. He seems like he's closer and about to attack which provokes Fabricio to preemptive.

upload_2018-6-8_0-56-53-png.390595

upload_2018-6-8_0-57-22-png.390597

This right here I believe is the core of his arsenal, this tactic deflects strikes, keeps distance, allows you to counter and be fully mobile and also can deny takedown attempts. The Jab was a failed attempt and Fabricio in fear throws the same jab moving forward off course. Anderson then steps back to an orthodox stance while keeping distance then returns with a right straight over the top.

upload_2018-6-8_12-45-46-png.390747

After Anderson hits Fabricio with a right straight Fabricio in a desperate attempt shoots for a off balanced takedown in which Anderson postures his arms out once more to deny the attempt

upload_2018-6-8_13-5-42-png.390757

He also steps his lead back to ensure the denial of the takedown.

He also has great clinch pressure, clinch control and the threat of the Cross Face used to set up knees. In conjunction this will make a fighter with lesser control want to break out and move back HENCE why so many fighters back-peddle except for most Wrestlers.

Earlier in the fight he landed a knee from his arms postured out

upload_2018-6-8_13-13-39-png.390763

upload_2018-6-8_13-10-33-png.390759

With that successful knee that rocked Fabricio earlier, now Fabricio desperately tries to break Anderson's cross face by pushing Anderson's left forearm up and move to Anderson's right side against the ropes to attain an double under. Anderson immediately uses this opportunity to Clinch pass and get an over under and pressure Fabricio against the elastic ropes.

upload_2018-6-8_13-23-9-png.390765

Anderson Silva in this fight also used a smart tactic which was to pressure his opponent against the ropes to under hook his legs to pretty much attain top mount.

upload_2018-6-8_13-24-7-png.390767

So when they both slid off of the ropes it was an easily attained mount in favor of Anderson Silva.

View attachment 390827

Much more soon.

Def not goat in general opinion at all before or after pissing hot twice.

Subpar competiton btw.

Def not goat in general opinion at all before or after pissing hot twice.

Subpar competiton btw.

Don't let your personal subjective opinion influence you on what you believe is the general opinion or not.

There are always mixed opinions on who's goat of what sport, but Anderson Silva is pretty much always in those discussions alongside a select few other fighters. But I'd recommend taking this discussion to the heavies rather than here.

Here in this sub-forum this is who Anderson Silva is and yes he definitely isn't the GOAT of kickboxing:

Anderson_braddock_Silva.jpg

Don't let your personal subjective opinion influence you on what you believe is the general opinion or not.

There are always mixed opinions on who's goat of what sport, but Anderson Silva is pretty much always in those discussions alongside a select few other fighters. But I'd recommend taking this discussion to the heavies rather than here.

Here in this sub-forum this is who Anderson Silva is and yes he definitely isn't the GOAT of kickboxing:

Anderson_braddock_Silva.jpg

Have never ever thought Anderson was all that since 05'.

Turns out he also pissed hot twice.

Lol

Goat lol

Lol

Goat lol

He's in the goat discussions, I didn't say he is the goat.

Now do us all a favour and fuck back off to the heavies.

Anyone who doesn't have him in the goat conversation I suspect is a lil racist.

Lol

Goat lol

Well I mean I agree with you there. He isn't a innocent clean fighter anymore, however his Striking capabilities in comparison to other Strikers unbiasedly reigns supreme. Anderson "The Spider" Silva seems to have extreme amounts of control, distance management, elusiveness, ridiculous defense and mythical offense. What I want to know is the base technique origins of his style and it's evolution.

Well I mean I agree with you there. He isn't a innocent clean fighter anymore, however his Striking capabilities in comparison to other Strikers unbiasedly reigns supreme. Anderson "The Spider" Silva seems to have extreme amounts of control, distance management, elusiveness, ridiculous defense and mythical offense. What I want to know is the base technique origins of his style and it's evolution.

From what I have been able to find, his base style(s) are a mix of Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do. When he was 12, he began Tae Kwon Do and reached his black belt at 18. He also found Muay Thai at 16 and although I am not aware of what gym he started at, he did train at the Chute Boxe Academy in Brazil (if I remember correctly, this is also where Wanderlei Silva trained at the time) early in his MMA career. In 2010 he received his yellow rope in Capoeira, so the influence it had on his style is debatable and most of what I can find about his Capoeira training starting when he was young have no sources anyway. In 2006, he joined team Black House which has/had Lyoto Machida (a karateka), Assuério Silva (a former proffesional boxer) and whatever knowledge the Nogueira Brothers were able to give him as well. There a bunch of notable fighters from Black House he could have absorbed techniques from, but it looks like his starting tools were just TKD and Muay Thai.

just some bio trivia. Ando began to train in MT in Fabio Noguchi's academy in Curitiba for several years. Only after winning a couple of Vale Tudo pro fights he was recruited by CB to fight in the big leagues. That's one of the reasons his style is so different from the Fedrigo/Carneiro's. He was all natty then:

katel.jpg

Ando with his pal Katel Kubis at Noguchi's back in the old days

I remember when I first started following Anderson he was the 170 lb Shooto champion.

I really don't see steroids as the cause of his success tho. He had quick reflexes and a great ability to read his opponents, something drugs can't replicate. Regardless, so many of your favorite fighters were juicing in some way or another...

Move this thread to standup forum and you will probably get more responses.

I really don't see steroids as the cause of his success tho. He had quick reflexes and a great ability to read his opponents, something drugs can't replicate. Regardless, so many of your favorite fighters were juicing in some way or another...

Well even though I would agree with you that Anderson always seemed talented probably even without PED's, you're still partially wrong when you say PED's don't give you quick reflexes.

There are different types of PED's and some of them give you such edge on reaction time, reflexes, spatial awareness, etc. GSP actually touched on that recently on the Joe Rogan podcast (time stamped):

Back