How much protein do you eat?

I just eat whatever I want and if some protein happens to be in it, good.

I don't really like bad food anyway so I'm very healthy.

So I've been thinking a bit about protein lately.

We've pretty much worked out now that eating fat doesn't instantly mean that it goes to your fat stores. It goes through a denature process that is then used as energy by the body (I think... not a scientist). But what about protein. Conventional wisdom is that you need protein to build muscle (1 gram per pound is a ratio I hear a lot), but wouldn't proteins be broken down the same way fat does? I'm thinking of those chunky sheep I have in my top paddock who eat zero grams of protein a day, but they still have a lot of meat on them.

In my bro days I used to try and get about 180-200 grams per day, both through supps and eating meat. These days I don't really watch how much I'm taking in. I'll usually have 1-2 meat meals a day, and occasionally have a protein drink as a meal replacement, but I doubt I'm getting anywhere near what I used to take in. The one thing I do watch is how much sugar I eat, and I avoid bread.

Thing is, I look better these days than I did when I was younger. I do a lot more compound lifts and HIIT sessions now whereas back then it used to be all about the 12x3 iso movements.

So how much do you guys take in? Do you find it helps, or just makes you fart more?

Protein and fat don’t turn into fat in your body except in weird circumstances and with a calorie deficit.

Used a couple of these with my guys (HS wrestling coach and S&C coach for the school) and banana almond is the shit. I add some dark chocolate to it and it is unbelievable.
I recently got the beef protein powder. Not sure what I think of it yet, though. Beef is my go to food, but it's different.
I still like the whey better.

varies, almost always around 100g or above, and all from food, I don't waste my money on any supplements, shakes or otherwise.

I weigh just <45kg. My height is 150cm. I usually just eat normally. But I find that I have leaner muscle on 6 eggs per day + carbs + minimal vegetable oil.

I've been drinking quite a lot of milk. I don't drink whey powder anymore because I've realized that the protein to carb ratio is too small. Whey made me fat. So, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I prefer eggs, fish and chicken for protein. I never eat soy anymore. It's not worth it because it causes hormonal fluctuations. Not good.

If it weren't winter and I didn't crave hot chocolate, I would cut out milk. I hate how milk bloats me and makes my body all swollen-like. It's not a myth that milk makes you fat.

So six eggs a day is best for me. But, the taste of eggs gets so sickening and I'm scared of all the unnatural ways farmers produce these large eggs. I try to buy good grade eggs, though.

IDK but maybe I'll start to measure. Do you use the mass of the cooked meat or actually the mass of the protein content in a cooked piece of meat?

I’d say 1-1.2g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to start. I always like to vary protein sources too... Impact Whey, chicken, beef, fish etc so you get different amino acid profiles.

I’d say 1-1.2g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to start. I always like to vary protein sources too... Impact Whey, chicken, beef, fish etc so you get different amino acid profiles.
It depends on what you're currently doing.

Cutting= 1-1.5 grams per lb of BW
Bulking/recomp= 0.6-0.8 grams per lb of LBM

That being said for me I think a good place to be is 0.8 per lb of LBM
1-1,5 just seems like way too much. I weigh around 200 lbs, then I would have to eat 200-300 grams of protein a day. That just seems excessive and unnecessary.

I did try for 2-3 months to eat around that amount in protein and I saw no change whatsoever. Now I just eat whatever I feel like (healthy), and some days I don't eat meat at all. Then again, the other day I ate around 2lbs of Turkey so I definitely got my fill there.

I know most meta-analysis point out that, on average, greater protein intake will lead to greater strength gain and/or FFM, but I just don't find it sustainable and personally I never saw any noticeable difference. What matters most for me seems to be the amount of calories I'm eating.

Also, there's definitely some issues with of the way the research on protein is portrayed, but that's a longer conversation.

Last edited:
i found cutting sugar to be more beneficial than massively upping protein intake. also beware of caffeine, if you naturally have a fast metabolism it makes it worse, and it becomes nearly impossible to gain weigh. it makes me laugh, the number of products that contain caffeine. it can be highly counter productive.

I weigh just <45kg. My height is 150cm. I usually just eat normally. But I find that I have leaner muscle on 6 eggs per day + carbs + minimal vegetable oil.

I've been drinking quite a lot of milk. I don't drink whey powder anymore because I've realized that the protein to carb ratio is too small. Whey made me fat. So, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I prefer eggs, fish and chicken for protein. I never eat soy anymore. It's not worth it because it causes hormonal fluctuations. Not good.

If it weren't winter and I didn't crave hot chocolate, I would cut out milk. I hate how milk bloats me and makes my body all swollen-like. It's not a myth that milk makes you fat.

So six eggs a day is best for me. But, the taste of eggs gets so sickening and I'm scared of all the unnatural ways farmers produce these large eggs. I try to buy good grade eggs, though.

Are you sure that you wasn't drinking weight gain, straight whey powder has very little carbohydrates, less than 1.5g carbs per 24g of protein in most whey products.......

about 0.4 grams per lb of my bodyweight (150) so not nearly enough

but i dont lift very often so it serves me ok

Im over 200lbs (right now 213) at 6' and i used to get a gram a protein per lb of BW.

Do you know how much of a pain of an ass that is over 200lbs? Some days are easy, but most of them, fuck no.

I eat shit ton less protein now and ive not seen many changes in much.

Actually....

Im not as strong as i used to be and i get hurt here n there...

...motherfucker. Is that why?

I have a minimum I like to hit (100g approx, which is not quite .7g/lb bodyweight) and then above that I go by appetite. When I train hard I crave protein and might eat up to 200g (almost 1.4g/lb) to be satiated, though that's rare and might happen on a day when I trained 3-4 hours or something. I don't feel good if I eat the extra calories I need in purely carbs + fat; I feel jittery and not satiated. Never like to have a meal or snack without protein. I guess it adds up to a lot if I've burned, say, 1000+ calories in activity and need to eat it back.

I try to hit at least 1 gram per kilo every day. So that's about half of the traditional bodybuilder recommendation. Pretty easy, since 1 gram/kilo corresponds to a normal diet.
I'm perfectly open to the possibility of more protein being beneficial, though.

If assisted you’d benefit from up to 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight due to increased protein synthesis.

Otherwise overeating Protein is just an expensive, inefficient way of creating energy (gluconeogenesis).

If assisted you’d benefit from up to 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight due to increased protein synthesis.

Otherwise overeating Protein is just an expensive, inefficient way of creating energy (gluconeogenesis).
You've called yourself 'Myprotein'. Don't tell me you are someone that works for that company are you?

Back