NCAA Wrestling

In his lastest interview, Sadulaev said he wants revenge and to go up and rematch Snyder. I think he can definitely beat Snyder.. but damn, 92 is an easy (imo) gold medal for Sadulaev. Cox, Sharifov offer challenges, but he would beat both.
Snyder has thrown down the gauntlet. He did an interview saying he doesn't think Sadulaev really wants to wrestle him again and thinks he will stay down at 92 until Tokyo. He pointed to the fact that Snyder and Sad both competed at this year's Yarygin and Sad chose to stay at 92. Snyder said something to the effect of "You better believe if he had beaten me and we were entering the same tournament in my home country I would be at his weight...."

He also said, "I think I will beat him even worse next time...."

Snyder has thrown down the gauntlet. He did an interview saying he doesn't think Sadulaev really wants to wrestle him again and thinks he will stay down at 92 until Tokyo. He pointed to the fact that Snyder and Sad both competed at this year's Yarygin and Sad chose to stay at 92. Snyder said something to the effect of "You better believe if he had beaten me and we were entering the same tournament in my home country I would be at his weight...."

He also said, "I think I will beat him even worse next time...."

I saw and listened to this interview before, I am unsure what will happen... I would like Sadulaev to stay at 92, but he said he wants revenge... we will see.

But Snyder calls out the smaller guys, lol - leave Yazdani alone! He is at 86 and way too small lol, he was an original 74 wrestler. Snyder at 125 could be interesting. I think the guys are a bit too big for Snyder, but I assume he weighs normally around 110 when he isn't in preparation for a tournament.

Imagine an olympic final with Snyder and Sadulaev 2; could be even bigger than the first match and the stakes would be even higher.

I kind of wish the Olympics added weight classes at 61, 70, 79 and 92. I know that it could over saturate the medals and their legitimacy, but some of these jumps are big. There is a really big size difference from guys jumping up; eg, Sadulaev to 97, Chamizo at 74 and other guys like Khinchegashvili to 65. They have all done well, but there is something missing in their physicality. They usually struggle to put on weight, while the natural *above weight class* wrestlers cut weight. It would be nice to see the additional weights, it is great for those who don't fit in 57, or 65, it also makes for 3 extra days of wrestling lol.

I saw and listened to this interview before, I am unsure what will happen... I would like Sadulaev to stay at 92, but he said he wants revenge... we will see.

But Snyder calls out the smaller guys, lol - leave Yazdani alone! He is at 86 and way too small lol, he was an original 74 wrestler. Snyder at 125 could be interesting. I think the guys are a bit too big for Snyder, but I assume he weighs normally around 110 when he isn't in preparation for a tournament.

Imagine an olympic final with Snyder and Sadulaev 2; could be even bigger than the first match and the stakes would be even higher.

I kind of wish the Olympics added weight classes at 61, 70, 79 and 92. I know that it could over saturate the medals and their legitimacy, but some of these jumps are big. There is a really big size difference from guys jumping up; eg, Sadulaev to 97, Chamizo at 74 and other guys like Khinchegashvili to 65. They have all done well, but there is something missing in their physicality. They usually struggle to put on weight, while the natural *above weight class* wrestlers cut weight. It would be nice to see the additional weights, it is great for those who don't fit in 57, or 65, it also makes for 3 extra days of wrestling lol.
Snyder was actually calling out Reza Yazdani, the 3x world champ from Iran. He's been slowed down by injury the last few years but he is among the 96-97 kilo greats of his generation.

As for the weights, for a long time the Olympics had just as many divisions as the world championships but the IOC is seemingly looking to kill wrestling. Most guys moved up bc of the new weigh in procedures, its just too hard to cut make weight twice. Im not sure if I think 8 or 10 weight classes is best. I kinda like 8 bc the top 8 is so stacked but on the other hand, 10 weights allows for more great wrestlers to win the medals they deserve.

I love Snyder but Akgul would and Petri would murder him.

I was a big Makhov fan at one point but those 2 are on a different level. No way Gatsolov could have bumped up and beat them and the same goes for Snyder.

Too much horse power

I love Snyder but Akgul would and Petri would murder him.

I was a big Makhov fan at one point but those 2 are on a different level. No way Gatsolov could have bumped up and beat them and the same goes for Snyder.

Too much horse power
Well, Gatsalov did win the 2013 world championships at HW and he beat Geno in the process. Gatsalov took gold while Akgul and Geno took bronze.

Well, Gatsalov did win the 2013 world championships at HW and he beat Geno in the process. Gatsalov took gold while Akgul and Geno took bronze.

They were babies in 2013. Geno was only 19, Akgul was 23. For reference Geno was just 2 years removed from losing to Adam Coon at Cadet Worlds. Akgul also to Makhov in 2012.

The next year Akgul won Worlds with Gatsalov there.

Both those guys are light years ahead of where they were in 2013.

They were babies in 2013. Geno was only 19, Akgul was 23. For reference Geno was just 2 years removed from losing to Adam Coon at Cadet Worlds. Akgul also to Makhov in 2012.

The next year Akgul won Worlds with Gatsalov there.

Both those guys are light years ahead of where they were in 2013.
Sure, those points matter. I think its worthwhile to bring it up though. 2013 world's was Gatsalov's 1st time wrestling up at HW and he was way undersized. Akgul was already an Olympian, 2x Euro champ, 2x Uni World champ at that point. He was also already huge.

Point being, its probably not outside the realm of possibility that Snyder could do well at HW. I mean he has beaten Coon a couple times and they don't come much bigger or with much more horsepower than Coon.

Sure, those points matter. I think its worthwhile to bring it up though. 2013 world's was Gatsalov's 1st time wrestling up at HW and he was way undersized. Akgul was already an Olympian, 2x Euro champ, 2x Uni World champ at that point. He was also already huge.

Point being, its probably not outside the realm of possibility that Snyder could do well at HW. I mean he has beaten Coon a couple times and they don't come much bigger or with much more horsepower than Coon.

He can definitely get Bronze but I think it's a 2 horse race for gold right now

For those interested, there are two good matches at Tbilisi Grand Prix today:
1) 2016 Olympic champion, Soslan Ramonov vs 2017 World champion Zurab Iakobashvili
2) 2017 world champion Geno Petriashvili vs Oleksandr Khotsianivsky - the man who (aside from Akgul) last beat Geno at the tournament in Kiev earlier this year.

Wow, nice finish. Ramos (Tony Ramos' brother) pinned his Japanese opponent in the finals.

I think Ramos was really lucky though. He couldn't finish any of his attacks in the semifinals, or finals today. He relied on scrambling. Which is nice, but not good against anyone who is good at finishing techniques (which his opponent was not).

Noooo.. Ramonov loses 2-3 to Iakobashvili

I don't agree with this result though. Iakobashvili was being way too passive not to get called on. Ramonov will beat him in a rematch more decisively.

Petriashvili wins 5-2 vs Khotsianivsky. They are now 1-1. I hope they will face off at the worlds next.

Wow, nice finish. Ramos (Tony Ramos' brother) pinned his Japanese opponent in the finals.

I think Ramos was really lucky though. He couldn't finish any of his attacks in the semifinals, or finals today. He relied on scrambling. Which is nice, but not good against anyone who is good at finishing techniques (which his opponent was not).
Where are you following the results? Who did the US send?

Where are you following the results? Who did the US send?
I have watched it from UWW website; however, the matches are regularly uploaded to UWW youtube channel. Just give 'Ramos gold' a search and it should be at the top.

45kg: Chance Lamar - 4/5th place (lost Bronze match)
48kg: Richard Figueroa - silver
51kg: Ramos - gold
55kg: Robert Howard - eliminated in round 1/8
60kg: Joshua Saunders - eliminated in round 1/8
65kg: Carson Manville - eliminated in round 1/8
71kg: Alexander Facundo - bronze
80kg: Abe Assad - bronze
92kg: Albert Ferrari - bronze
110kg: Daniel Kerkvliet Jr - silver

6/10 medals - good results. 5 medals for Russia, we haven't looked too good in this tournament.

I don't usually follow cadet level, so I know nothing about these wrestlers. I only watch senior/junior/U23

I have watched it from UWW website; however, the matches are regularly uploaded to UWW youtube channel. Just give 'Ramos gold' a search and it should be at the top.

45kg: Chance Lamar - 4/5th place (lost Bronze match)
48kg: Richard Figueroa - silver
51kg: Ramos - gold
55kg: Robert Howard - eliminated in round 1/8
60kg: Joshua Saunders - eliminated in round 1/8
65kg: Carson Manville - eliminated in round 1/8
71kg: Alexander Facundo - bronze
80kg: Abe Assad - bronze
92kg: Albert Ferrari - bronze
110kg: Daniel Kerkvliet Jr - silver

6/10 medals - good results. 5 medals for Russia, we haven't looked too good in this tournament.

I don't usually follow cadet level, so I know nothing about these wrestlers. I only watch senior/junior/U23
OOOhhhh its the cadet worlds? What about that Tblisi GP you mentioned?

OOOhhhh its the cadet worlds? What about that Tblisi GP you mentioned?
Yes, correct. Cadet Worlds in Zagreb, Croatia. It is just a small tournament (with good level of wrestlers; some Russian national medalists/Ivan Yarygin medalists some lesser-known Georgians, etc are there) which covers FS and GR. There are some really good wrestlers there for some reason, I don't understand why world/olympic champs are here. It is almost like sand bagging lol

Yes, correct. Cadet Worlds in Zagreb, Croatia. It is just a small tournament (with good level of wrestlers; some Russian national medalists/Ivan Yarygin medalists some lesser-known Georgians, etc are there) which covers FS and GR. There are some really good wrestlers there for some reason, I don't understand why world/olympic champs are here. It is almost like sand bagging lol
I read that the Russians sent a good team to use this tournament as prep for Nationals.
So did Team USA send any wrestlers to Tblisi?

Back