The knee thread!

I play with the knees a lot too, but i really don't have much more to add.

Another one: always consider the angle you are kneeing with. If both opponents are orthodox, the angle off the body will make the right knee have a higher chance of slipping. Therefore you got to know how to knee from southpaw stance to make the angle of the opponents body work in your favor

"He is driving his knee back before driving it in." this knee he is doing is a type of knee, swing back knee. You swing the leg back to get more power.
It is not about power. You have to get to the point the fastest, why swing the hip back first.

If you think you can't generate enough power by not driving the hip back you got to practice more

Can you give me some examples where driving the hip back first is superior ?

Last edited:
It is not about power. You have to get to the point the fastest, why swing the hip back first.

If you think you can't generate enough power by not driving the hip back you got to practice more

Can you give me some examples where driving the hip back first is superior ?
Muay thai scoring isn't really about getting to the point faster than your opponent. The main scoring criteria is damage.

Another thing you should consider is that the muay thai clinch is played with parallel feet, so you need to create room to hit with a bigger range of motion, either by swinging back or pushing/unbalancing your opponent.

If your throwing fast slappy knees with a short range of motion while the other guy is blasting you with skipping knees he is ahead. Sure you can score againt a weaker opponent by throwing weaker knees if he's not doing better, too

Also, why you think you're entitled to say who should be practicing more? What are your credentials? How many fights? Who taught you? Where are your videos?

Crazy that you told me to open my mind when you seem to be all dogmatic in your beliefs...

Muay thai scoring isn't really about getting to the point faster than your opponent. The main scoring criteria is damage.

Does anyone agree with this ?

Another thing you should consider is that the muay thai clinch is played with parallel feet, so you need to create room to hit with a bigger range of motion, either by swinging back or pushing/unbalancing your opponent.

Opponent A is making room for opponent B by driving his hip back. So opponent B does not need to make space.

or pushing/unbalancing your opponent.

This is where I agree with driving the hip back to generate more power has it's place.

If your throwing fast slappy knees with a short range of motion while the other guy is blasting you with skipping knees he is ahead. Sure you can score againt a weaker opponent by throwing weaker knees if he's not doing better, too

Fast, slappy, weak knees. I do not know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
my knee game is weak af so I am enjoying this thread. keep it goin folks

Also, why you think you're entitled to say who should be practicing more? What are your credentials? How many fights? Who taught you? Where are your videos?

Crazy that you told me to open my mind when you seem to be all dogmatic in your beliefs...

100% agree.

My last fight I was dead tired, to the point I was unable to defend myself tired. My opponent got me in the clinch and landed a bunch of shitty weak knees that I blocked like you would block a body punch. They didnt hurt at all, but after he landed like 4 I thought to myself fuck, i gotta stop this his getting points!

I like this term of yours: "the muay thai clinch is played"

Clinching and kneeing is my thing. My best fights have been when guys decided to "play clinch" with me.

Opponent A is making room for opponent B by driving his hip back. So opponent B does not need to make space.

This is where I agree with driving the hip back to generate more power has it's place.

Fast, slappy, weak knees. I do not know what you are talking about.

- I do, the same thing could be said for muay thai in general as well. Yeah you can win on points but the main goal is to beat your opponent to the point he is incapable of defending himself, and then finish him off.

- this is true in theory however you are getting "too technical". Your idea/concept "could" be practical in real life, but in order for it to be practical, you would have to throw your own knee a split second before your opponent begins to throw his. Not once you see him pull the hip back. I get your concept, your looking at it the same way someone can read a punch being loaded up, but its not the same with this instance.

- glad we can all agree on this one

Fast, slappy, weak knees. I do not know what you are talking about
- fast slappy weak knees, being thrown improper, without any power, the key word is slappy, not sloppy. I think one of the videos on here kinda covered that, cant remember if it was sylvie or fightips.

Last edited:
Hey guys, this is actually a pretty good little tutorial on knees, and all basic MT strikes. Also check his hand positions when he knees. I trained at this gym for a bit a very long time ago, the guy in the video was an old training partner of mine.

Cool video on knee range that Sylvie just dropped.

This is me getting abused in the clinch and getting ko'd by a knee. The fight that got me into learning the clinch. Shit was violent, hope you sadists enjoy:D

creating room in the clinch. In a seminar with Manop that I attended we went over this technique.

By the way, this page is great, be sure to follow them

This is me getting abused in the clinch and getting ko'd by a knee. The fight that got me into learning the clinch. Shit was violent, hope you sadists enjoy:D

good fight. Just about every kick you threw landed.

This is me getting abused in the clinch and getting ko'd by a knee. The fight that got me into learning the clinch. Shit was violent, hope you sadists enjoy

Ouch... Hard way to learn, but probably the best way to learn. Hope you don't mind me pointing out a few other things. If the fight was a long time ago you know them by now, but anyway...

Watch out for mirror strikes. After a hard single strike you throw, a lot of times the opponent will throw the same, to get back the points he lost. He did that a few times at the beginning. I think one time you expected it, from a low kick if I'm not mistaken, but unfortunately you weren't able to catch the leg.

You had some single hard strikes, but you dint capitalize on them. Every time you landed single hard punch, I was waiting for a kick to follow but it never came...

You moved backwards a bit too much. If you have mixed it with a front stop piercing knee every now and then, he would have been more hesitant to pressure from a distance.

Your straights and overhands landed, not your hooks.

About the clinch. Clearly you know by now, but your posture was the main problem. And to tell you the truth, you were lucky he dint use elbows from the clinch, cause he had a few opportunities.
You dint know how to break away, or how to neutralize his movement, to make the referee reset the fight.

He often reached with both hands from too far away to enter the clinch. I think you made him pay one time with an over hand, but most of the times he went unpunished.

You had some nice teeps (except one lazy at the hips I think), but you dint use them much for my liking. It's a great tool to keep clinchers away. (he had some nice teeps too, and timing them good on your punches)

Your knees needed a lot of work.

In a few occasion you could use the shin shield against his knees in the clinch. Kinda hard with those types of ropes, but at the corners at least.

Again, sorry if all those thinks are basic to you now...

No worries, man. Criticism is always welcome. This fight was in 2016. As I said it was the fight that really opened my eyes about muay thai training. After that I lost the next one, again to a superior clincher, but then I went on a 4 winning streak, using mainly the clinch.

But yes, my posture was shitty as hell in the clinch, the overall strategizing for a muay thay contest as well. I'm kinda proud of the effort but other than that I didn't really had the tools. Not that this guy wasn't a badass, too. He is vicious and unbeaten in the regional scene, but I'd fight him again.

Nice fucking fight man, I think you posted it some time ago as well right?

You clearly had the better hands and were having success with them in the beginning. Kicks were about even. In the clinch he was dominating you and breaking you down. It'll always be hard to go toe to toe or knee for knee with a guy like that in the clinch, but even without being at his level just controlled his posture would have helped you out. Controlling posture, getting your back away from the ropes and a few sweeps and trips would have given you some space. I know it's not easy, hopefully you've kept working on it.

You kinda fell into his game as well a little after he got you flustered. If you had not waited as much and kept tagging him instead of engaging in close range you might have had a shot.

Anyway, nice, and very tough, fight! Keep up the good work man you did good.

Back