Bellator 201 Does 466k

DAZN seems to have came right on time. this is the new reality of bellator on Paramount.

think the execs vastly misidentified the demographics they thought would tune in to bellator on paramount.

the rebranding to paramount seems to have killed off around 150k viewers for bellator.

Honestly not a bad number for a weak event, can’t expect more than that

Honestly not a bad number for a weak event, can’t expect more than that
this is what i was thinking too. could have been a hell of a lot worse. the card was fun, but had two wmma on the main card. it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Higher than expected.

That's almost double Bellator 197 (Chandler/Girtz) and in line with Mittrione/Nelson and Benson/Huerta.

Last edited:
I was honestly thinking 300,000 the card had really no name draws.Not bad considering 2 wmma fights 1 was headliner.

Overall decent numbers.

i agree with the above, that's not bad for a weak (kinda shitty) card

Good numbers for a card with zero name value and full of WMMA.

Higher than expected.

That's almost double Bellator 197 (Chandler/Girtz) and in line with Mittrione/Nelson and Benson/Huerta.

That is misleading bc 197 was split on two networks
The event simulcasted on Paramount and CMT, averaged 403,000 viewers, with 242,000 viewers for Paramount and 161,000 viewers on CMT.

Do you guys think the slightly ok numbers compared to the bomb we all thought it was going to be means woman actually watched this card?

Bellator stepped up promotion for this card about a week out on paramount literally every other commercial was adverts for this card.I certainly hope they begin to promote the cards more even on other Viacom owned channels with them getting the DAZN money they can afford a bump in promotion.

DAZN seems to have came right on time. this is the new reality of bellator on Paramount.

think the execs vastly misidentified the demographics they thought would tune in to bellator on paramount.

the rebranding to paramount seems to have killed off around 150k viewers for bellator.

150K of people who didn't give two craps about Bellator.

Sad

I don't know what DAZN is thinking paying all that money, I know what Viacom is thinking.

Ratings were going down on Spike too
it is not a UFC thing or a Bellator thing
It is an MMA thing

The sport is in a cold period.

Ratings were going down on Spike too
it is not a UFC thing or a Bellator thing
It is an MMA thing

The sport is in a cold period.
Definitely understand. What I was getting at is although ratings were down under spike, they were still not this low.

The rebranding chopped the ratings further from what I remember.

I don't know what DAZN is thinking paying all that money, I know what Viacom is thinking.

They couldn't afford UFC (not that UFC would have done it) so they are hoping Bellator does something.
Bellator is smartly looking to build the non-USA markets & DAZN already has a presence there.
The stateside popularity of DAZN is a bigger Q

Definitely understand. What I was getting at is although ratings were down under spike, they were still not this low.

The rebranding chopped the ratings further from what I remember.

It didn't help, but as @skylolow pointed out, those viewers couldn't care anyway.
Paramount has pretty decent distribution, better than FS1
The bigger issue is selling MMA to advertisers.
Networks bunch advertising together & MMA is not as good of a fit on Paramount as it was on Spike.
The internal issues are why Viacom was trying the simulcast out. They need to figure out how to package MMA within their selling to advertisers.

i still think we might get another move coming soon with Bellator.

That is misleading bc 197 was split on two networks
The event simulcasted on Paramount and CMT, averaged 403,000 viewers, with 242,000 viewers for Paramount and 161,000 viewers on CMT.
Still lower than this weeks card regardless.
And didn't you, or maybe it was some other people on here mention, that the CMT numbers aren't equal in meaning to a Paramount viewer?

Still lower than this weeks card regardless.
And didn't you, or maybe it was some other people on here mention, that the CMT numbers aren't equal in meaning to a Paramount viewer?

Not sure what you mean by that?

CMT's ratings are lower than Paramount (if that is what you mean)
So 400k on CMT is better than 400k on Paramount in that regard.

Not sure what you mean by that?

CMT's ratings are lower than Paramount (if that is what you mean)
So 400k on CMT is better than 400k on Paramount in that regard.
The explanation I got was that CMT has a set amount of viewers always on that channel regardless of what's on. I personally didn't think that made sense but that's what was explained to me.

They couldn't afford UFC (not that UFC would have done it) so they are hoping Bellator does something.
Bellator is smartly looking to build the non-USA markets & DAZN already has a presence there.
The stateside popularity of DAZN is a bigger Q

If the reports are true this deal is paying around 33 million a year and Bellator has a bitch of time attracting over 1 million peak viewers even with some of there best fighters. They have a hard time breaking an avg. rating of 600K now with named guys on the card. This all being for free. Just seems like MMA fans are not going out of there way to watch Bellator, period. I sure the hell don't anticipate many of them becoming subscribers to DAZN.

I get why DAZN works in other parts of the world. What they have put together for the US market though seem like a long shot at best to ever pay off. I hope the subscribers around the world can support the US venture because I don't think the US subscriber base is going to be very big in the end unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat with some major sports league(and that isn't happening). You look at something like the WWE who gets 10s of millions of fans around the world tuning in weekly for years and they had a bitch of time getting over the 1 million worldwide subscriber amount. I just don't see how the US market could ever become viable for the DAZN with out a miracle.

Back