Keiser functional trainer.

TKOkid86

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Has anyone used a kesier functional trainer? looks like more mma fighters using it and see UFC institute performance carries them. They are quiete expensive. Are they any better than other cable machines?

I have/do. "Better" is subjective but you can fine tune the resistance better than standard cable/weight based equipment and there's much less of a momentum effect since the resistance is consistent vs a weight stack which can briefly float after an explosive movement. I personally like them quite a bit. I find they help with core strengthening while working other areas as well.

Thanks for the feed back. I was told same exact thing about the stack briefly floating (or feeling lighter) due to the momentum effect. So I guess in theory this would be there would be less cheating with explosive exercises. Thanks for the feed back. I am going to try to see if I can get my hands on one to train with. Thanks!

I don't own that particular machine but I have a normal looking functional trainer where it's a cage and 2 stacks on each side.

I think It really depends on what your goal is? For weight lifting? For ^ weird explosive training^. I use mine for strength training. But if you know anything about strength training, cable machines generally don't offer the same resistance/tension free weights and to a lesser degree leverage machines do. So most people will use them for finisher sets.

With any machine system you have to look at the weight limitations. Ask your self: Will you ever outgrow the weight stack? It's a legitimate concern.

Another thing about cable machines you should know about is weight ratios. Cable machines use pulleys. Pulleys can give you a mechanical weight advantage which reduces the actual weight size of your stack. IE 100 lb stack is really 50 lbs. Now you are probably wondering why would they do this? It's essentially done to increase the range of motion. If your cable pulley was 1:1 the length and overall range of motion of your cable would be short because it would be hitting the top of your weight guide. Functional trainers range from 2:1 to 4:1. So a machine with a 200lb stack with a 4:1 cable ratio would only be 50 lbs of resistance. That isn't much if you thought you had a 200 pound stack and you were going to use it for overhead presses or rows. The machine you linked has a 3:1 ratio and like a 120 pound stack.

Couldn't you get some looped bands of various resistance levels, set up anchor points (high, medium, low) and basically replicate the same thing for a fraction of the price?

I wouldn't buy one but I assumed OP meant to use at a PT center or gym. Resistance bands also vary throughout the range of motion by design where the keiser is air compressed and (mostly) static. Unless that lotto thing comes through tho not popping for one and the compressor and other crap required anytime soon. I like em, but not that much! That's 50-100 pairs of gloves kinda money! ;)

I don't own that particular machine but I have a normal looking functional trainer where it's a cage and 2 stacks on each side.

I think It really depends on what your goal is? For weight lifting? For ^ weird explosive training^. I use mine for strength training. But if you know anything about strength training, cable machines generally don't offer the same resistance/tension free weights and to a lesser degree leverage machines do. So most people will use them for finisher sets.

With any machine system you have to look at the weight limitations. Ask your self: Will you ever outgrow the weight stack? It's a legitimate concern.

Another thing about cable machines you should know about is weight ratios. Cable machines use pulleys. Pulleys can give you a mechanical weight advantage which reduces the actual weight size of your stack. IE 100 lb stack is really 50 lbs. Now you are probably wondering why would they do this? It's essentially done to increase the range of motion. If your cable pulley was 1:1 the length and overall range of motion of your cable would be short because it would be hitting the top of your weight guide. Functional trainers range from 2:1 to 4:1. So a machine with a 200lb stack with a 4:1 cable ratio would only be 50 lbs of resistance. That isn't much if you thought you had a 200 pound stack and you were going to use it for overhead presses or rows. The machine you linked has a 3:1 ratio and like a 120 pound stack.

Thanks so much. I was looking to gain explosiveness with minimum amount of impact on joints. I heard this machine is good for it but never got my hands on it. Great points. Thank you. The keiser does not go up that much. I am only 155 lbs so I think I should be ok but it is a legit concern. Thank you

I wouldn't buy one but I assumed OP meant to use at a PT center or gym. Resistance bands also vary throughout the range of motion by design where the keiser is air compressed and (mostly) static. Unless that lotto thing comes through tho not popping for one and the compressor and other crap required anytime soon. I like em, but not that much! That's 50-100 pairs of gloves kinda money! ;)

Hahaha good point. Yeah I dont think it is required for most people really. I do see many of the elite judo athletes us it and was just curious if it is really all that. By what you are saying I guess it is not worth it right? Thank you. I dont meet too many people who used them before. Tnx!

Couldn't you get some looped bands of various resistance levels, set up anchor points (high, medium, low) and basically replicate the same thing for a fraction of the price?

this. i would buy something like this and use bands. it's much more versatile than a "functional trainer":

RS96_36068-scr.jpg

(and look at his smile. he is super happy)

Last edited:
Back