Bellator 201 Does 466k

The explanation I got was that CMT has a set amount of viewers always on that channel regardless of what's on. I personally didn't think that made sense but that's what was explained to me.

They have less viewers
So if they do close to what Bellator delivers on Paramount, they will be better on CMT as far as programming.

150K of people who didn't give two craps about Bellator.

Sad

I don't know what DAZN is thinking paying all that money, I know what Viacom is thinking.

If you look at the downtrend in viewers every org is seeing from 150-250k loss that are outside the UFC in PFL and Bellator.

UFC numbers are higher but it's because the base numbers were greater to begin with but they are seeing similar percentages.The difference being the UFC can stack s ppv and kinda balance out where the other guys are having a tougher time.

DAZN offers stability to bellator not necessarily profitability but it allows Coker and co to go about free agent shopping and expanding the international presence.Ive heard they saw very positive signs internationally so like TS said DAZN did come along at the right time......they solve the tape delay and streaming issues and the western Europe series will help build further a presence and provide talent to be scooped to the big show.

Imho for DAZNs success in the US it entirely relys on what other sports and or original content they can provide. Outside of hardcore fans boxing and mma isn't enough to get ppl to payout.In all other countries they have NFL,NBA,NHLetc available making the deal really attractive.From what I can gather DAZN really is trying to be something and are actively working deals for shows for U.S. content.

Only time will tell......but at least they now have atleast 3 years possibly 5 of financial stability so they aren't bleeding through this downswing in mma.

If the reports are true this deal is paying around 33 million a year and Bellator has a bitch of time attracting over 1 million peak viewers even with some of there best fighters. They have a hard time breaking an avg. rating of 600K now with named guys on the card. This all being for free. Just seems like MMA fans are not going out of there way to watch Bellator, period. I sure the hell don't anticipate many of them becoming subscribers to DAZN.

I get why DAZN works in other parts of the world. What they have put together for the US market though seem like a long shot at best to ever pay off. I hope the subscribers around the world can support what the US venture because I don't think the US subscriber base is going to be very big in the end unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat with some major sports league(and that isn't happening). You look at something like the WWE who gets 10 of millions of fans around the world tuning in weekly for years and they had a bitch of time getting over the 1 million worldwide subscriber amount. I just don't see how the US market could ever become viable for the DAZN with out a miracle.

I agree fully

The OTT thing is incredulous

No chance ESPN+ comes close to breaking even with UFC
The WWE Network has under-performed & WWE is focused on broadcast rights again instead.

I think people are believing OTT will be bigger than it is (as far as near future)

If you look at the downtrend in viewers every org is seeing from 150-250k loss that are outside the UFC in PFL and Bellator.

UFC numbers are higher but it's because the base numbers were greater to begin with but they are seeing similar percentages.The difference being the UFC can stack s ppv and kinda balance out where the other guys are having a tougher time.

DAZN offers stability to bellator not necessarily profitability but it allows Coker and co to go about free agent shopping and expanding the international presence.Ive heard they saw very positive signs internationally so like TS said DAZN did come along at the right time......they solve the tape delay and streaming issues and the western Europe series will help build further a presence and provide talent to be scooped to the big show.

Imho for DAZNs success in the US it entirely relys on what other sports and or original content they can provide. Outside of hardcore fans boxing and mma isn't enough to get ppl to payout.In all other countries they have NFL,NBA,NHLetc available making the deal really attractive.From what I can gather DAZN really is trying to be something and are actively working deals for shows for U.S. content.

Only time will tell......but at least they now have atleast 3 years possibly 5 of financial stability so they aren't bleeding through this downswing in mma.

Excellent post

But don't downplay DAZN bringing profitability to Bellator.
If Viacom is looking to sell (would not shock me), they now can due to DAZN's 3 year guarantee

Not to mention every serious MMA promotion should give people with only internet a option to watch it. Otherwise their only choices are piracy or ignore.

I know next year I'm moving and getting rid of cable which seems to be a common trend. So they're smart to have a paid online streaming service regardless of everything.

Excellent post

But don't downplay DAZN bringing profitability to Bellator.
If Viacom is looking to sell (would not shock me), they now can due to DAZN's 3 year guarantee

Oh yeah definitely lol!!

As far as looking profitable they are probably the best off they've been ever with the 3 year guarantee. What I was referring to is people thinking the deal is going to turn bellator in to a money maker when in reality it's just keeping them even.

Nice discussion guys been a while since I've felt like I gained an IQ point during a discussion on this site lmao.

Oh yeah definitely lol!!

As far as looking profitable they are probably the best off they've been ever with the 3 year guarantee. What I was referring to is people thinking the deal is going to turn bellator in to a money maker when in reality it's just keeping them even.

Nice discussion guys been a while since I've felt like I gained an IQ point during a discussion on this site lmao.

Agree on all points
This has been a great conversation with a lot of good points that are coming from a cerebral base instead of a shill/hatred one .

I'm on another board that @AGEZ909 knows & unless you post only positives about Bellator, a few nitwits put you in a hater category. Its a great board (don't get me wrong), but its nice that people ITT realize the reality of MMA in 2018/19

Last edited:
I agree fully

The OTT thing is incredulous

No chance ESPN+ comes close to breaking even with UFC
The WWE Network has under-performed & WWE is focused on broadcast rights again instead.

I think people are believing OTT will be bigger than it is (as far as near future)
It depends what sports they can eventually get on it, golf, soccer, tennis, basketball, baseball, boxing, e sports etc, they all hit different demographs, it will cost billions probably but Amazon & Netflix pay millions for shows people aren't interested in. I watch the odd thing on Netflix and feel it's worth the money, 90% of the stuff I'm not interested in and Netflix pays shit load for all that content but they cater for nearly everyone.

It depends what sports they can eventually get on it, golf, soccer, tennis, basketball, baseball, boxing, e sports etc, they all hit different demographs, it will cost billions probably but Amazon & Netflix pay millions for shows people aren't interested in. I watch the odd thing on Netflix and feel it's worth the money, 90% of the stuff I'm not interested in and Netflix pays shit load for all that content but they cater for nearly everyone.
I was surprised to find that in Canada DAZN already comes with every NFL game including the Superbowl. That seems pretty major.

DAZN seems to have came right on time. this is the new reality of bellator on Paramount.

think the execs vastly misidentified the demographics they thought would tune in to bellator on paramount.

the rebranding to paramount seems to have killed off around 150k viewers for bellator.

That card was atrocious. I'm shocked it did over 400k...it was pitiful.

It feels like Bellator is not even trying until the DAZN deal kicks in.

June-August there's 4 events but very few compelling reasons to watch.

I was surprised to find that in Canada DAZN already comes with every NFL game including the Superbowl. That seems pretty major.

For DAZN they will already have a decent amount of success outside the US because they are offering up killer packages like mentioned.

Will be very interesting to see if they just try to be a sports channel or IF they will pick up some other original and or scripted content.

There's no way in hell DAZN will be able to snatch up any exclusive broadcasting rights for any of the Big 4 leagues, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, in the US.

To the US demographic, you're essentially being asked to pay for a 2nd tier MMA organization and the European boxing scene. Not exactly an enticing offer.

Last edited:
There's no way in hell DAZN will be able to snatch up any exclusive broadcasting rights for any of the Big 4 leagues, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, in the US.

To the US demographic, you're essentially being asked to pay for a 2nd tier MMA organization and the European boxing scene. Not exactly an enticing offer.

Very true.

But streaming services aren't about one product supporting the platform. Its about multiples that support the over all platform. In DAZN's case, the rest of the world will be more or less supporting the US service. The only thing they'll secure here is very niche sports. Things like cricket, maybe poker, some lesser soccer leagues around the world, maybe one of these start up football leagues will also broadcast on it, etc. etc.. But you're a 100% right that the major sports will never be on DAZN in the US. The people that hold those media right and bids every time they come due will crush DAZN before they ever get a chance to bid. Everyone of those deal is in another universe when it comes to money and what DAZN is able to spend on content.

Personally, I don't see Danz really ever catching on in America on any level. Maybe a few 100K in subscribers and that is about it. I highly doubt and would be totally in shock a year or two from now if we'd be talking about DAZN having a million subscribers in the US.

Oh I get what the deal does for Bellator and its great from that stand point.

It will be very interesting to see what Viacom does with Bellator over the next year. I highly doubt ratings will improve, in fact I think they'll stay steady or go down. I fully believe a majority of there stars(high dollar fighters) will eventually be limited to the DAZN only events. Since that is the easiest way to show profit for events. The whole deal smells of plumping up the bottom line to look good to a potential buyer. I also think we'll see Bellator slide over CMT. It is quite apparent that they really don't fit in with what Paramount channel is doing and how they bundle advertising to sell as many of those advertisers aren't interested in the MMA world. So becomes an even tougher sale for Paramount to fight through.

P.S.: The whole tape delay issues strictly falls on Paramount/Viacom. Nothing is stopping them from showing these shows live if they wanted to. None of their programming has special rights like sports on certain channels like CBS or whatever. It's simply comes down to sound business. They are making more on the replay of a movie or reruns of cops or whatever than they'd make showing Bellator live. It's just way they spin it to us like they solved some massive issue they had, when all along they could've fixed the issue quite easily.

P.S.: The whole tape delay issues strictly falls on Paramount/Viacom. Nothing is stopping them from showing these shows live if they wanted to. None of their programming has special rights like sports on certain channels like CBS or whatever. It's simply comes down to sound business. They are making more on the replay of a movie or reruns of cops or whatever than they'd make showing Bellator live. It's just way they spin it to us like they solved some massive issue they had, when all along they could've fixed the issue quite easily.

Actually that's not accurate.

Via Coker....

As far as broadcasting stateside events in Britain and beyond, Coker said the challenge to airing live events remains the time difference across the pond. He said Bellator events air in 140 countries, and convincing all of the promotion’s TV partners around the world to air live events and a rebroadcast “is a task.”

It was having to deal with broadcasting on alot of different channels in different timezones through different broadcast partners and getting them all to agree on something.

With DAZN that problem is eliminated with the live streaming services coupled with the bellator app allowing streaming as well.Now they can figure out events much easier and we will see thus change in the near future.

Actually that's not accurate.

Via Coker....

As far as broadcasting stateside events in Britain and beyond, Coker said the challenge to airing live events remains the time difference across the pond. He said Bellator events air in 140 countries, and convincing all of the promotion’s TV partners around the world to air live events and a rebroadcast “is a task.”

It was having to deal with broadcasting on alot of different channels in different timezones through different broadcast partners and getting them all to agree on something.

With DAZN that problem is eliminated with the live streaming services coupled with the bellator app allowing streaming as well.Now they can figure out events much easier and we will see thus change in the near future.

The dude is just making excuses. There was zero problems with Spike doing it for the UFC back then. I think they ended up with one or two tape delay and the UFC said no more and from there on out it was live in the US market at least.

I just think Coker is beating around the bush. Sure some station in Chile or Japan might not have it live. But your home market/country should and easily could if they wanted to.

The dude is just making excuses. There was zero problems with Spike doing it for the UFC back then. I think they ended up with one or two tape delay and the UFC said no more and from there on out it was live in the US market at least.

I just think Coker is beating around the bush. Sure some station in Chile or Japan might not have it live. But your home market/country should and easily could if they wanted to.

UFC isn't owned by Viacom they were never tied to only Viacom owned channels they were broadcast by spike in the US but not the same international channels they have now.Plus Coker has secured multiple other international broadcasting deals since he has been in power further expanding where they reach.

Technically yes they could have just catered to the US domestic market but that wouldn't have made the newer acquired broadcasters happy.They made a choice to sacrifice a bit in the domestic market to help further the expansion of the brand internationally. They even added the streaming capability to the bellator app to help some of the US fans to watch the tape delayed events and the international fans watch prelims that weren't broadcast in their region.

DAZN solves all the issues they've had for streaming and live content which were much more complicated then just choosing to air cops or rush hour 3 because it was more profitable......they have ALOT of people they are trying to make happy the expansion has had growing pains tape delay was one but not anymore.

Viacom did not air Bellator livein other time zones because they did not deem Bellator important enough to mess up their schedulre for.

Spike knew UFC was carrying the platform.

No matter what Coker BS, Viacom sees Bellator as inexpensive programming on the two lowest rated TV nights.

Back