How far is too far for a gym?

Cwick304

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am located near Charleston WV, wanting to train in boxing. Only problem is there are not a lot of gyms near me that are really getting good reviews. Im curious what is the farthest you travelled to train and how far is too far to travel.

I have no issue travelling a couple hours if it means I can get quality training. Sounds crazy but is what it is.

Hey everybody, I am located near Charleston WV, wanting to train in boxing. Only problem is there are not a lot of gyms near me that are really getting good reviews. Im curious what is the farthest you travelled to train and how far is too far to travel.

I have no issue travelling a couple hours if it means I can get quality training. Sounds crazy but is what it is.

I have driven several hours to visit gyms far away for a one time session. I live in california and drove to vegas for example. Depends on if your ganna do it daily or not. Daily training, I personally wouldnt go more than 45 min drive.

It depends where you live. I live in a big city so using public transit is like 40 mins.

Philip CM Punk Brooks drove 2 hours to and back from Duke Roufus' Gym.

We all saw how that went (twice)

I used to travel 90 minutes to the dojo and back home another 90 minutes when I first discovered Kyokushin Karate and wanted to train at a serious dojo as opposed to the local ones.

Nowadays though I wouldn't want to travel more than half hour to go and train on a regular basis (seminars, interclubs, etc. I'm ready to travel a lot more for).

I hate commuting and I'm super lazy so I always went for what was closest. Ended up training at 9 different places within 12 years. :p It was fun and enlightening tho and super convenient - most were within walking distance. :) I regret nothing.

No such thing as too far if you're going to get something positive from the experience. 6 hour drive for a 2 hour training session and drove back the same day.

I went to this gym for a very specific reason, to showcase skills for a promotion I was interested in fighting for.

It's up to you. Gas is expensive here in Cali for me its close to $4/gallon. I prefer the gym to be 10-15 minutes drive from my home.

It's an hour if I hit traffic to my MT gym, that's the farthest I'd go as even that dissuades me from training sometimes. The best gym for you is one you'll go to consistently, even if the quality isn't optimal (of course, you don't want to waste time at a crap gym, but it's not worth signing up at a great place that you never actually attend).

I currently travel about 35 minutes to train at one of the best schools in my state. If I were single and didn’t have kids, I would probably drive a max of 1 hour to get to whatever school I was training at, as I train 5-6x’s/week.

Back