Greatest Punk Band by number of Quality Albums

TOnce a punk band starts selling well they're by definition no longer punk.
I hate this viewpoint and it isn't true at all. Punk has a lot of definitions, but being successful doesn't kill off that label.

Based on your criteria of highest number of high quality albums, I will have to go with Bad Religion being the winner here. 16 studio albums spread across 3 decades and all of them sound relevant. I can honestly put any one of them on and enjoy it.

Ramones come in a close second, but with their music it is much harder to know which album you are listening to. BR at least had different eras of sound.

Id love to go with Rancid as the winner, but their catalog isnt deep enough to win this contest. ...And Out Come The Wolves is my favorite album of all time.. of ANY genre. It's a perfect album, start to finish.

I hate this viewpoint and it isn't true at all. Punk has a lot of definitions, but being successful doesn't kill off that label.
Yah it pretty much does. Punk is at its core an underground movement the main point of which is to rattle the cages of the perceived establishment. Once you become part of that establishment, you're not punk, you're commercial.

Greatest?
Probably the Misfits not a single bad song or album when Danzig was the singer.

Some of my faves

Dead Kennedys
Fresh fruit
In god we trust inc
Plastic surgery disasters
Bedtime for democracy
Frankenchrist

Subhumans -
EP LP
The day the country died
Time flies/rats
World's apart
From the cradle to the grave

Rudimentary Peni-(not as many but powerful)
EPs of RP
Deathchurch
Cacophony

Walk Among Us
Static Age
Legacy of Brutality..
Earth.A.D.

Devils Whore House..
Hybrid Moments..

Yes I love the Misfits with Glen. Cliff Burton turned me on to them.

I also love The Adicts. I was never really into Punk but some of that shit is catchy as hell.

Had a dubbed tape of Misfits Earth AD and the Dead Kennedy’s that was my first exposure to Punk . Listened to that incessantly the summer of 93-94 range if I remember right.

Minutemen

The Punch Line - 1981
What Makes a Man Start Fires? - 1983
Double Nickels on the Dime - 1984
3-Way Tie (For Last) - 1985

EPs

Paranoid Time - 1980
Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat - 1983
Tour-Spiel - 1984
Project: Mersh - 1985

The only Dead Kennedys album that was subpar was Bed Time For Democracy and even then it had some good moments.

Minutemen

The Punch Line - 1981
What Makes a Man Start Fires? - 1983
Double Nickels on the Dime - 1984
3-Way Tie (For Last) - 1985

EPs

Paranoid Time - 1980
Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat - 1983
Tour-Spiel - 1984
Project: Mersh - 1985

How do you feel about Firehose? the band formed out of the remained members of the minutemen after d. boon died. I really dig their stuff.

Forgot about the minutemen.

Adding Circle Jerks.

the wipers are up there. too many good ones to name.

But NOFX alway sseemed sto gimicky

But NOFX have the best live shows, at least in Amsterdam where it's all fun with constant stage diving. I'm trying to make it back there for the gig in Nov.

Last edited:
I'm going with Rancid, too. Because almost all of their albums you can listen to from start to finish and there are very few "meh" songs. Most tracks are awesome. And they used to put like 22 tracks on one album, lol so that's saying a lot.

And if you include their Operation Ivy days then it's no contest.

D.R.I.
Though they crossed over to thrash sound

Bad religion
Rancid
Nofx
Misfits up to/including famous monsters
Bad brains (eclectic)

50885E2B-700E-452B-93BD-95CF64B2F1F9.jpeg

Suicidal Tendencies

Suicidal Tendencies
Join The Army
How Will I Laugh Tomorrow
Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit
Lights...Camera...Revolution

I think the musical progression for Suicidal Tendencies went as follows:

Punk => Crossover => Thrash Metal
I can't really define them as a punk band anymore. Same goes for Bad Brains. They went through the same progression as ST, with reggae thrown in the mix. H. R. and his brother wanted to go more reggae, whereas Darryl Jennifer and Dr. Know wanted to be more metal.

Back