Your top 5 on the mic?

Satsui Ryu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Was listening to the Oapie and Anthony episode on botched wrestling promos (which is fucking hilarious) from the Vader thread and Patrice O'Neal who used to write for the WWE gave his top 5 on the mic and I was kind of surprised The Rock didn't make it to his list. Made me think about who did the best promos, shoots, etc. My list would look something like this

1. The Rock
2. Stone Cold
3. Ric Flair
4. Mick Foley
5. Ultimate Warrior for the sheer ridiculousness of his promos.

Jim Cornette
Bobby Heenan
Nick Bockwinkel
Terry Funk
Jesse Ventura

Bobby Heenan
Ric Flair
Jesse Ventura
Dusty Rhodes
Hulk Hogan

Bobby Heenan
Ric Flair
Jesse Ventura
Dusty Rhodes
Hulk Hogan
Rhodes was on the bubble for my top 5 and might make it in some days depending on what mood I'm in
Him and Terry Funk are pretty much on the same level for me, just depends on if you wanna hear inspirational or evil maniac

Rock
Flair
Austin
Cena
Angle

I've probably missed many of the great talkers, but having a quick think:
Flair
Dusty
Jake Roberts
Ole Anderson
Piper

1. The Rock

2. Hulk Hogan

3. Ric Flair

4. Chris Jericho

5. Randy Savage

So, MY top 5. I understand I will leave off some people that are universally recognized as great talkers, but this is the list of guys who's promos and style I really thought were the best. I recognize the greatness of Flair and Rock, but they were way too repetitive and in Rock's case childish for my tastes. These are all guys that I could listen to all day:

1. Bobby Heenan
In my opinion the greatest talent in wrestling history. He could literally do it all. He was a worker who happened to manage(Nick Bockwinkel and Ray Stevens both praised his in ring ability, that's good enough for me), was a fucking heat magnet on the mic, was a great commentator, etc. Probably could have been a great booker given the chance.

2. Jim Cornette
Corny's quick wit chicken shit/rich boy persona made him must watch/listen TV

3. Ole/Arn Anderson
I combined these two simply because most of their work I remember as a team, though both were great singles stars. Both were to-the-point talkers, tougher than hell and believable. If you haven't ever listened to Ole's heel turn promo post-Dusty cage match do yourself a favor:

Here's a hidden gem by AA. Do yourself a favor and watch the whole clip:

4. *Late career* Bret Hart
From the heart, to the point and quietly confident.

5. Dusty Rhodes
No explanation needed. The dweam is the dweam bay bee

6th man award goes to Jake Roberts

Ric Flair
Hulk Hogan
Dusty Rhodes
Nick Bockwinkle
Eric Embry

Rock
Paul Heyman
Bobby Heenan
Piper
Scott Steiner

Wrestlers:
1. Dusty Rhodes
2. Ric Flair
3. Nick Bockwinkel
4. Dick Murdoch
5. Ernie Ladd.

Honorable mentions to Jerry Lawler, Randy Savage, Ole Anderson, Arn Anderson, and the Masked Superstar (Bill Eadie).

None of these guys needed a mouthpiece.

Managers:
1. Bobby Heenan
2. Jim Cornette
3. Skandar Akbar
4. Sir Oliver Humperdink
5. Jimmy Hart

Some great names mentioned above. Sad though no one mentioned Superstar Billy Graham, Freddie Blassie and Ernie Roth (The Grand Wizard/Abdullah Farouk.)
Crusher had some great promos also.
Blassie might get the nod as he was the inspiration for Muhammad Ali.
The Ali character was a hybrid of Blassie and Gorgeous George. Blassie for the talking tough and George for talking pretty.
Interesting that my all time favorite interview is from a guy not known all that well for the gift of gab....
Archie Gouldie after Bad News Allen turned on him and his storyline son.
Flair my favorite overall though. When I bench heavy I often crank one of his promos for motivation.

Last edited:
My favorite talking era was mid 80s Crockett. On Saturday Night you had Hawk and Animal with Precious Paul
(Hawk was great. Paul was underrated.)Corny would come out and take it to the next level. Then Dusty woukd come out and the crowd was red hot. Then the Horsemen.....
Ole would start. Then Arn. Tully next.
Maybe JJ thrown in and then Flair.
My God, those were the days......

All that being written.... I've never seen anyone control a crowd like the Rock.
He was special for sure.

Some great names mentioned above. Sad though no one mentioned Superstar Billy Graham.
Came to post this. I guess some of his bitter comments in later life have soured fans on him a bit. You only have to look at his influence on dozens of huge names who took from him and tried to add their own flavour to it, from Hulk Hogan all the way to Chael Sonnen. Captain Lou Albano also deserves a mention.

1. The Rock (as a heel, he was awful as a face)
2. Mr. McMahon
3. Stone Cold
4. Chris Jericho
5. Ric Flair

Some great names mentioned above. Sad though no one mentioned Superstar Billy Graham, Freddie Blassie and Ernie Roth (The Grand Wizard/Abdullah Farouk.)
Crushed had some great promos also.
Blassie might get the nod as he was the inspiration for Muhammad Ali.
The Ali character was a hybrid of Blassie and Gorgeous George. Blassie for the talking tough and George for talking pretty.
Interesting that my all time favorite interview is from a guy not known all that well for the gift of gab....
Archie Gouldie after Bad News Allen turned on him and his storyline son.
Flair my favorite overall though. When I bench heavy I often crank one of his promos for motivation.
My only experience with Superstar is his commentary in the late 80s and he was terrible.

Back