How do you guys fit explosive training into your regiment?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So as many of you may know, I am getting back into fight training in a few weeks. I had some bad luck last week, I was late for work and was going 100 mph on the highway and the state police officer gave me 5 tickets, ain't that some shit. So I'm joining a gym in south jersey that my old instructor set up after he left the gym he was teaching at, and they do contracts but if you live more then 20 miles away from it then you can cancel at anytime.

So I want to work on explosiveness right now, with my work schedule I workout Monday and Tuesday in the evening, and workout in the morning Wednesday and thursday. And I am following the 5/3/1 strength program, and I have followed up on one of the aspirations I had before last year where I wanted to be a firefighter (I can't become a cop for 2 years now because of the tickets and because I went 100 mph they definitely will not accept me for another 2 years).

I already know some explosive exercises (Olympic lifts, plyo exercises, and some calisthenics exercises), but I don't know how to fit the explosive work into my schedule, i would really love a fight this year and since i have the foundation to muay thai and it only took me like 3 months to get into the advanced class in my old gym, I think I'll make it into my old instructors advanced class in a month, 2 months max.

And so everybody knows I'm still going to be training for the military until I hear a no from someone at MEPS if I go this year. The army recruiter told me not to mention anything about medication or a old head injury I had last year, and i will still be studying for the ASVAB and the firefighter exam.

And I have been running a lot lately and now I am closer to running 1 mile easily.

(THIS IS ABOUT HOW TO FIT EXPLOSIVE TRAINING INTO MY REGIMENT ONLY, NOT ABOUT THE MILITARY SO PLEASE STAY ON THE TOPIC, I DID NOT MENTION SHIT FROM AN OLD THREAD TO START PROBLEMS, SO IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO IT THATS FINE I WILL JUST BE PASSIVE)

Do you mean in terms of orsering the exercises? Or adding a separate day?

Theres a few ways we can go about this so clarifying what you mean a bit more will help us a bit.

As a generality, a good warm up that primes your cns, explosive/plyo work would be done then.

Few minute break. Then your general s and c.

Do you have an idea of your full training block on a 4 or 8 week cycle?

Do you mean in terms of orsering the exercises? Or adding a separate day?

Theres a few ways we can go about this so clarifying what you mean a bit more will help us a bit.

As a generality, a good warm up that primes your cns, explosive/plyo work would be done then.

Few minute break. Then your general s and c.

Do you have an idea of your full training block on a 4 or 8 week cycle?

Answer to the first question: adding a separate day or just fitting it in anyway you can.

Answer #2: I know that I do 1 week doing 70% 80% and 90% of my 1 rep max doing 5 reps, and that the 2nd week is the same just doing 3 reps, I don't know what you mean by training block?

Probably some solid ideas coming but I'll throw out my approach.

Mix in tuck jumps, box jumps, broad jumps, rocket jumps between my primary lower body lifts.

Example:

4x3 Hang clean
4x4 Broad Jumps
120sec rest

4x8 Squat
4x4 Tuck Jumps
60sec rest

Then auxiliary followed by supplemental, cardio.

The jumps need to be 100% or close to, so you don't need to rip them out back to back but not resting for more than ~5sec.

Just an approach that works for me.

Your training block consists of all your training, generally in 4 week segments (8 is two months or two cycles usually).

So you would outline your 5/3/1 , your consitioning days, and mma days. Then look at where it can fit if you want it on a separate day. If your life doesnt allow, then you look at days already in place and begin adding or subbing out. Ideally, if you have an event planned, you build backwards so you can plan your cut and recovery. This is why block periods help for organizing it all.

Probably some solid ideas coming but I'll throw out my approach.

Mix in tuck jumps, box jumps, broad jumps, rocket jumps between my primary lower body lifts.

Example:

4x3 Hang clean
4x4 Broad Jumps
120sec rest

4x8 Squat
4x4 Tuck Jumps
60sec rest

Then auxiliary followed by supplemental, cardio.

The jumps need to be 100% or close to, so you don't need to rip them out back to back but not resting for more than ~5sec.

Just an approach that works for me.

Did you do the squats with a barbell or just bodyweight?

Your training block consists of all your training, generally in 4 week segments (8 is two months or two cycles usually).

So you would outline your 5/3/1 , your consitioning days, and mma days. Then look at where it can fit if you want it on a separate day. If your life doesnt allow, then you look at days already in place and begin adding or subbing out. Ideally, if you have an event planned, you build backwards so you can plan your cut and recovery. This is why block periods help for organizing it all.

Yeah i know 8 weeks is 2 months, so you know the 5/3/1 program real well? I just realized that I can use the assistance work as explosive work, would that work well with the plan?

And to your question, the cycle is:
Week 1: 70% 80% 90% of my 1 rep max doing bench press, barbell squats, and overhead press and deadlift 5 reps and doing some assistance work

Week 2: doing 75% 85% 95% of the 1rpm same exercises for 3 reps and some assistance work

Week 3: is 70% 80% 90%, 70% of 1rpm is 5 reps, 80% of 1rpm is 3 reps, and 90% for 1 rep

Then week 4: 40% 50% 60% doing 5 reps of each same exercises.

I go for a run after too.

I don't really have a training day and conditioning days at the moment, all I have right now is strength and cardio days, so when I go to my old instructors gym I'm planning on going their 3-4 days a week, so I'm planning on going their on a mon and Tues after work, then going on weds in the morning strength training with the 5/3/1 program and cardio then going to the muay thai gym in the evening on weds Thurs and Friday, while doing strength training and cardio in the morning on those days and sat to do some extra work. Is doing one explosive circuit good for improving on it?

Did you do the squats with a barbell or just bodyweight?

Barbell, % of 1RM, I believe these explosive movements can be added to many programs. The emphasis is on jumping higher, not jumping allot.

I believe westside BB had an article on the benefits of these movements in powerlifting, which in my opinion carry over to many applications aside from moving weight.

Now factor in your fight training etc.

Create a template at home on a calendar so you can view it all.

I would use a good cns priming warmup and then look up post activation potentiation.
From there, decide whether your main lift or your plyo/explosive work takes precedence as they can be different goals, or variations of your main lift even (jump squats, jump deads, explosive bench, push press etc).

Without being in person, its too difficult to tell how to specifically organize your entire regime, so we will only provide generalities.

Now factor in your fight training etc.

Create a template at home on a calendar so you can view it all.

I would use a good cns priming warmup and then look up post activation potentiation.
From there, decide whether your main lift or your plyo/explosive work takes precedence as they can be different goals, or variations of your main lift even (jump squats, jump deads, explosive bench, push press etc).

Without being in person, its too difficult to tell how to specifically organize your entire regime, so we will only provide generalities.

What is cns though? I never heard of that until now.

Ok I just did some research on cns and priming it so I should do some box jumps or leaps before doing a strength workout? I feel like it would be better to do just explosive push ups and leaps because their are no boxes to jump on in my workout gym.

Ok I just did some research on cns and priming it so I should do some box jumps or leaps before doing a strength workout? I feel like it would be better to do just explosive push ups and leaps because their are no boxes to jump on in my workout gym.

Medicine ball slams work well in short reps.
Tuck jumps can work.

A simple way is 10 jumping jacks done fast, 3 medicine ball slams followed by two tuck jumps.

Rest is important between sets.

Central nervous system. If you are going to do explosive work, you want your cns ready to go to work.

Ok would it mess up my strength program if I did the priming cns thing and do explosive circuit after one of my strength training sessions? The reason why I posted this thread was because I feel like it messes up my training regiment when it I just do like a 10 min circuit after my workout?

Barbell, % of 1RM, I believe these explosive movements can be added to many programs. The emphasis is on jumping higher, not jumping allot.

I believe westside BB had an article on the benefits of these movements in powerlifting, which in my opinion carry over to many applications aside from moving weight.

Just looked at this, that answered my question.

Ok I just did some more research, and just found out how to improve my explosiveness so now starting next week here will be my training schedule, because I messed on my chest and tricep day today (I did close grip bench press before doing regular bench press and the bar almost fell on me I had to skip the chest workout today and go for my run)

So for the 2nd week of my strength program which is next week:
Day 1: bench press 70%-90% 3 reps, the assistant work I'll do is explosive push ups and tricep pull downs

Day 2: dead lift 70%-90% 3 reps, assistant work hang clean and pull ups

Day 3: overhead press 70%-90% 3 reps, assistant work snatch, and axe swings

And

Day 4: squat 70%-90% 3 reps, assistant work jump squats and leg press.

Before every workout I'll do a variation of a cns warm up.

I do power or speed work first to encode the greatest possible power or speed. Doing it after lifting heavy is training yourself to be slower than your potential.

I do power or speed work first to encode the greatest possible power or speed. Doing it after lifting heavy is training yourself to be slower than your potential.

Wait, I thought working on speed after lifting heavy actually makes your punches faster?

Back