looking to buy a gaming PC

I built my first pc with scrap parts when I was 10 without any knowledge know how, or google. You should be able to as well. If you can put lego sets together you can build a pc. If you think you are not capable then I suggest you stick to consoles. I could easily build all those setups for like a 1/3 the cost, and ibuypower are some the biggest ripp off prebuilts I ve ever seen. If you like being spoonfed buy a prebuilt, if you like applying your brain and learning new things than build a system save money and learn a technical skill in the process, although its hardly technical, you could make money setting up pcs for your buddies.

Yo man , all you would have to do is literally google the difference between new iX and old iX and there are detailed stickys all over the internet that state the difference in architecture and performance gains between processors, and graphics cards if you search for the right things. If you aren't legally retarded you should be able to figure out what you want.

Yeah, I can an am doing that.

But it’s not as simple as new and old iX etc, each one has levels of cores, clock speeds and other differentiators so there is more to it than

Yo, is the old i5 better than the new i3.

From the outside one would think that all i3’s are old, 5’s and sevens are newer but there’s levels to that shit.

So yes I know how to google that shit, and reviewing everything and how they work together takes time. I’m in that process now.

But it’s not as simple as new and old iX etc, each one has levels of cores, clock speeds and other differentiators so there is more to it than

From the outside one would think that all i3’s are old, 5’s and sevens are newer but there’s levels to that shit.

So yes I know how to google that shit, and reviewing everything and how they work together takes time. I’m in that process now.
This became the god-reference for benchmark comparisons with impressive celerity:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

All you really need to understand is the difference between single core (or per-thread) performance versus multicore overall performance, and how that affects performance depending on the software. For gamers, the "Effective Speed" metric basically assigns the most sensible overall grade for a CPU's gaming power.

I’m starting research for building right now, I’m learning very quickly how little I know about computers anymore.

Researching just processors for example it seems there are about 50 iterations of each one i3/5/7, and trying to learn what’s important on each and how that translates to what they will do.

I’ve just decided I’m gonna dive deep into the rabbit hole because
A) I need another computer
B) While I know I’m behind the times frankly I’m shocked at how far, I need to catch up to not become the “how do you turn this on/get off my lawn guy

Have fun, if you don’t care at all about building your own, on your local craigslist you should be able to find a multitude of guys doing builds in your area and used offerings for substantial savings.

Here's how you figure out Intel's naming scheme.
processor-number-core-i7-6700k-6920hq-rwd.png.rendition.intel.web.720.405.png

If there's a K in the Product Line Suffix, it means that it's unlocked and can be overclocked. You need a Z series chipset motherboard to overclock, a Z370 for example. If there is not a K at the end, the product is locked and can't be overclocked.

Up until the 8th gen
Intel i3 - 2 cores / 4 threads
Intel i5 - 4 cores / 4 threads
Intel i7 - 4 cores / 8 threads

8th Gen changed it a little
Intel i3 - 4 cores / 4 threads
Intel i5 - 6 cores / 6 threads
Intel i7 - 6 cores / 12 threads

Last edited:
dont plan on building my own. any recommendations for a good gaming PC that is not only high quality but within the $1k-$2k range?
Building a computer is not as easy as everyone says it is, if you don't know what you're doing, though I do recommend learning. Anyway, never buy prebuilt, it's such a waste of money. There are lot's of services out there that will build your pc for you, and help you order the parts.

I’m starting research for building right now, I’m learning very quickly how little I know about computers anymore.

Researching just processors for example it seems there are about 50 iterations of each one i3/5/7, and trying to learn what’s important on each and how that translates to what they will do.

I’ve just decided I’m gonna dive deep into the rabbit hole because
A) I need another computer
B) While I know I’m behind the times frankly I’m shocked at how far, I need to catch up to not become the “how do you turn this on/get off my lawn guy

Have fun, if you don’t care at all about building your own, on your local craigslist you should be able to find a multitude of guys doing builds in your area and used offerings for substantial savings.
Jump in. It's amazing how quickly you catch up!

Building a computer is not as easy as everyone says it is, if you don't know what you're doing, though I do recommend learning. Anyway, never buy prebuilt, it's such a waste of money. There are lot's of services out there that will build your pc for you, and help you order the parts.
This is not accurate.

That question tells me you didnt google the differnce between an i3 an i5 and a i7 lol, some i5s are just qaud core i7s without the hyperthreading, but you want hyperthreading if you can afford it.

What part do you feel is difficult about it?
Cable management is about the only time consuming part of it imo. Not hard though, just annoying sometimes.

What part do you feel is difficult about it?
Cable management is about the only time consuming part of it imo. Not hard though, just annoying sometimes.
The biggest thing I find people struggle with, who don't know what they're doing, are getting all their drivers installed properly.

That question tells me you didnt google the differnce between an i3 an i5 and a i7 lol, some i5s are just qaud core i7s without the hyperthreading, but you want hyperthreading if you can afford it.

From what I wrote how did you gleam I didn’t know all of that?

Im trying to decern, what I actually need for my intended uses, what’s the best budget way of doing it, and what works together the best.

So I started out price shopping, finding processors I was interested in and looking up the bench marks, then comparing.

If you say for example go to new egg, and search ryzen 5, there is a whole stack of ryzen 5 processors , 3 processors and 7 processors.

Take a price point you are happy with, and compare from each.

At the 200.00 price point you can find a version from each, now compare their benchmarks and also try and decern what type of softwares and loads work best with the ranges you have.

At the 200.00 mark you might find a 5 that’s faster than a 7, according to straight benchmarks but might not nessesarily be better for the given application.

Then dig into the gpu’s and do the same, now you have a short list of products you are interested in , and now try and decern which paring jives the best together for the intended application.

Then you have the intel side with the weird naming conventions, skylake, coffee lake etc and gleam that down, I haven’t looked up what those mean yet, but I’m sure those are the generation naming , like apple and thier snow leopards and el capitans etc etc.

Just because I didn’t write a novel on someone else’s thread, doesn’t mean I don’t know there are different core stacks, clock speeds and hyper threading for each one.

<{vega}>

I imagine there are literally thousands of people out there that said
“I’m gonna build a computer today”
And ordered a bunch of stuff online(new or used even) that didn’t work well together, if at all.

Stuff like drivers not working together is even past what I’m talking about; from the get go like connector types not being right etc from different eras of stuff. This I’m sure has to happen everyday for budget build people.

Just go get one from iBUYPOWER.
You can have it custom made, and they're fairly reasonably priced.
You can get a decent rig for $1,200-1,500.
Just make sure you have at least:
8GB of RAM or greater
256GB SSD or greater
GTX 1070 or greater
i5 or i7 8th gen CPU

8GB of RAM or greater
256GB SSD or greater
GTX 1070 or greater
i5 or i7 8th gen CPU
zPi8XbJ.gif

8GB of RAM or greater
256GB SSD or greater
GTX 1070 or greater
i5 or i7 8th gen CPU
There are so many 1070 and 1080’s for sale locally from people dumping their mining rigs it’s ridiculous

There are so many 1070 and 1080’s for sale locally from people dumping their mining rigs it’s ridiculous
What are the prices around you? i'm going to pick up a Gigabyte 1070ti tomorrow for $275.

What are the prices around you? i'm going to pick up a Gigabyte 1070ti tomorrow for $275.
250-300 advertised prices so can prolly haggle 2-250 depending on brand for 1070’s and 400 for 1080’s

I imagine there are literally thousands of people out there that said
“I’m gonna build a computer today”
And ordered a bunch of stuff online(new or used even) that didn’t work well together, if at all.

Stuff like drivers not working together is even past what I’m talking about; from the get go like connector types not being right etc from different eras of stuff. This I’m sure has to happen everyday for budget build people.
It's really not that complicated if you just focus on the present build, and not understanding everything all at once. There are incredible tools like the following with built-in compatibility checkers:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

It isn't perfect, but that is only with obscure incompatibilies. You will never buy the wrong motherboard for the wrong CPU with this guide. You will never buy the wrong hard drive (and you're not going to find any IDE drives on the market today anyways) for the motherboard, or screw up connector types. The obscure stuff is, for example, with a certain motherboard, in a certain case, with a certain CPU cooler, the way it is mounted, it ends up blocking your drives, or unable to fit. Those are incredibly rare. That takes more discussion to prevent. The more basic problem you might run into is a compatible PSU with insufficient wattage for your build, since I don't think PCPP has a PSU calculator built in, yet.

You should look at the "Complete Guides to Building a PC" here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/beginnersguide

It's really not that complicated if you just focus on the present build, and not understanding everything all at once. There are incredible tools like the following with built-in compatibility checkers:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

It isn't perfect, but that is only with obscure incompatibilies. You will never buy the wrong motherboard for the wrong CPU with this guide. You will never buy the wrong hard drive (and you're not going to find any IDE drives on the market today anyways) for the motherboard, or screw up connector types. The obscure stuff is, for example, with a certain motherboard, in a certain case, with a certain CPU cooler, the way it is mounted, it ends up blocking your drives, or unable to fit. Those are incredibly rare. That takes more discussion to prevent. The more basic problem you might run into is a compatible PSU with insufficient wattage for your build, since I don't think PCPP has a PSU calculator built in, yet.

You should look at the "Complete Guides to Building a PC" here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/beginnersguide
Thanks, this part of the thread you posted is what I’m really trying to figure out I need to go do some digging at the Red forum I think for some answers.

“reddit post” said:
  • How much do I need to spend? It depends on the purpose of your build. If you just want to play the current crop of games at max settings on a single monitor, you don't need to spend more than probably $800-$1,000. In fact, you can make a really powerful machine for $600 that will play most games on really high settings. If you need a really powerful video editing station, you'll need to spend more, but seriously, $1,000 will get you pretty far. Furthermore, "future proofing" is a waste of money.
    [\quote]

Back