The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Laguna is a dream compared to Sonoma and anywhere up north here.

Had a track day tomo at ThunderHill, high of 102 degrees.

My kid has a track day at Laguna tomo, high of 66.

he's going, I'm not.

Last edited:
I remember my younger days when 100 degree temperatures didn't bother me. Nobody had air-conditioning. Now, if it's over 80, I don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary. It's supposed to get near 100 here today. It's 80 degrees now with 76% humidity. We haven't had many days over 90 here in the last two years.

Bottas takes the pole in an all Mercedes front row in Austria. Vettel and Raikonnen in the second row.

Both Mercedes out, niiiiice!!!
1. Verstappen
2. Kimi
3. Vettel

Nice result

ha, the racing gods must have heard me predict another snoozer.

what a race.

Mercedes were in a bad spot with Hamilton leading and only one car in the race at the time when the safety car period started. If they brought Hamilton in, Red Bull and Ferrari could pit one car and leave the other out to impede Hamilton. The announcers thought that both Ferrari and Red Bull were going to pit both cars anyway but that can be a decoy. The leader makes a decision and the other teams react. It didn't matter because Hamilton couldn't make it to the end on tires and the car broke down anyway. Mercedes waited an extra week to use their new powerplant because of reliability issues and it caught up with them this week.

Yesterday's NASCAR race had some of the highest temperatures seen since they started putting digital thermometers on the seats for television. They've had temperatures around 130 before but yesterday in the Xfinity race the temperatures were showing 150, then 154 then just Hi. Some searching shows that the model they are using can only read up to 158. The Hi showing indicates temperatures over 158. Chicken is considered cooked when it reaches 165. A beef steak is medium well done at 150 degrees.

Last edited:
Hell of a finish with the Kyle and Kyle show.

ha, the racing gods must have heard me predict another snoozer.

what a race.
Great race, lots of drama. Even my gf was getting into it for once

Last edited:
Mercedes were in a bad spot with Hamilton leading and only one car in the race at the time when the safety car period started. If they brought Hamilton in, Red Bull and Ferrari could pit one car and leave the other out to impede Hamilton. The announcers thought that both Ferrari and Red Bull were going to pit both cars anyway but that can be a decoy. The leader makes a decision and the other teams react. It didn't matter because Hamilton couldn't make it to the end on tires and the car broke down anyway. Mercedes waited an extra week to use their new powerplant baecause of reliability issues and it caught up with them this week.
What was the problem with Hamilton's tires that the engineer apologized for? I missed that

What was the problem with Hamilton's tires that the engineer apologized for? I missed that

There was a virtual safety car with Hamilton leading early in the race but they didn't bring Hamilton in. Mercedes figured other teams would split their strategy so they would have cars on older tires in front of Hamilton. The Red Bulls and the Ferraris stopped for tires. They waited to bring Hamilton in for several more laps hoping to go to the end but they didn't last because he had to try to pass cars with older tires. Neither did his car.

There was a virtual safety car with Hamilton leading early in the race but they didn't bring Hamilton in. Mercedes figured other teams would split their strategy so they would have cars on older tires in front of Hamilton. The Red Bulls and the Ferraris stopped for tires. They waited to bring Hamilton in for several more laps hoping to go to the end but they didn't last because he had to try to pass cars with older tires. Neither did his car.
I got that. I thought there was another issue after he pitted. A problem with his second set of tires

They were probably still referring to the pit mistake and I got confused

Last edited:
I got that. I thought there was another issue after he pitted. A problem with his second set of tires

They were probably still referring to the pit mistake and I got confused

Yes, I think Hamilton was complaining that he had to run to hard on his tires in dirty air when he thought he would have been in the lead if the pitted him with the rest of the field. Mercedes were accepting blame to try to keep him focused.

Yesterday's NASCAR race had some of the highest temperatures seen since they started putting digital thermometers on the seats for television. They've had temperatures around 130 before but yesterday in the Xfinity race the temperatures were showing 150, then 154 then just Hi. Some searching shows that the model they are using can only read up to 158. The Hi showing indicates temperatures over 158. Chicken is considered cooked when it reaches 165. A beef steak is medium well done at 150 degrees.

I liked the clip of Chase Elliott getting out of the car looking like he was going to pass out from dehydration.

Then in the true Nascar spirit, he grabs a can of Mountain Dew and pops it open lol

I liked the clip of Chase Elliott getting out of the car looking like he was going to pass out from dehydration.

Then in the true Nascar spirit, he grabs a can of Mountain Dew and pops it open lol

Anyone else notice the drivers with the empty metal Coke bottles that fake taking a drink while being interviewed. They never swallow.

Anyone else notice the drivers with the empty metal Coke bottles that fake taking a drink while being interviewed. They never swallow.

Ha no I'll have to pay attention to that next time

Grosjean and Verstappen crash in separate incidents in practice at Silverstone for the British Grand Prix. Grosjean missed the button to close the drag reduction system and Verstappen was apparently going too fast on cold tires.

Back