Was The Rock Overrated?

Actually Rock is the most successful wrestler to come out of WWE.

Rock was a very limited in-ring worker, he wasn't particularly funny, or good at being cocky. But, he was allowed to just whiff a line of coke and go "full tard" on camera. Jeff Jarrett could have also been over if they did that with him; that Southern Raunch humor and all. Rock wasn't unique or special. What was unique and special is that Rock, like Shawn Michaels, was allowed to just be cocky and talk smack to people and then beat them up when they try to do something about it. That's why it worked for him.

That's also why nobody is over right now like he was - nobody's allowed to just give unscripted promos, allowed to be themselves on the mic, and just roll with everything. The promos come off as forced, overscripted, and don't sound authentic. It's impossible to muster up any excitement or energy, and half the time they bury themselves "Sufferin' Succotash".

The top tier, I give to Hogan, Savage, Shawn. They defined the business and their age in the business.
Second tier I give to Rock and Austin. They defined their own era, but had short time at the top.
Third tier is Undertaker and Lesnar, CM Punk. Known name, not much excitement.
Fourth Tier is people like HHH, Nash, and Randy Orton who just aren't household names no matter what they do.

Rock and Austin were at the top as pro wrestlers for about 6 years and 8 years, respectively. Shawn's prime lasted about 5 years? What made Hogan and Savage so special then, is they lasted over a decade. Hogan and Savage were strong from 1984 and heck, Hogan was still winning in 2004 against guys like Shawn, HHH, and Angle. Savage hit the wall too hard too soon, but was still relevant as late as 1999 - which is still a 25 year run at the top. The Undertaker's time at the top easily lasted from 1991-2013, and even now is still performing. Undertaker had more staying power than Hogan, Rock, or Brock - but he also had a lower ceiling of star power and public relevance.

Actually Rock is the most successful wrestler to come out of WWE.

Depends on how you define success. Jesse Ventura became a governor, and RVD retired rich and doesn't work anymore.

Depends on how you define success. Jesse Ventura became a governor, and RVD retired rich and doesn't work anymore.
Measuring sticks in wrestling on susscess are Hulk Hogan and Flair. The Rock is the only wwe star to check every box of susscess in an out the ring and beyond wwe.

latest

I literally just got chills watching the clip of Hogan hulking up on Rock all these years later. That match was magic.

I literally just got chills watching the clip of Hogan hulking up on Rock all these years later. That match was magic.
I'm glad it was held in the land of smarks. May not have got that magic elsewhere.

Measuring sticks in wrestling on susscess are Hulk Hogan and Flair. The Rock is the only wwe star to check every box of susscess in an out the ring and beyond wwe.
7ac.jpg

Best 5 year run in the history of the show.

Rocky said he wasn't leaving again but he hasn't done shit in fake sports since 2013.

Yes, he was over rated. I never really like his character. Couldn't hold a candle to Stone Cold.

Rock was awesome, man. Especially when he is heel.

The Rock didn't seem too tough in a lot of his matches. When he wrestled HHH in a ladder match HHH took all the big bumps and Rock didn't take much punishment in comparison even though the match was competitive and fairly even. In his matches with Foley, The Rock barely took any bumps at all. Mick did all the hard work. This seems like a trend with The Rock - his opponents usually did all or almost all of the painful bumps and The Rock just took little bumps. Then his finishing move was just a standing elbow drop. Compared to what the other main venters were doing for finishers, it was pretty weak. I think his mic skill was what made people think he was great. He talked a good talk but he didn't back the talk up and for a guy who was always calling other wrestlers "candy-asses", The Rock really seemed squeamish about taking punishment.
As a worker, yes. As a draw, fuck no!

The top tier, I give to Hogan, Savage, Shawn. They defined the business and their age in the business.
Second tier I give to Rock and Austin. They defined their own era, but had short time at the top.

HBK ahead of Austin and Rock? Put down the crack bruh

Also, you don't need to be a spot monkey to be a great worker. Rock was a good worker.

His matches vs Hogan (Mania 18) and Austin (Mania 17) are two of the best in WWE history

HBK ahead of Austin and Rock? Put down the crack bruh

He was more over and had more longevity than Austin. When Austin and Rock came in, they came into the D-X Era that Shawn Michaels defined. As a reminder, the other show had the nWo, and WWE had a bunch of people nobody cared about such as Los Bariquas, Test, Albert, and "The Brood". Austin was able to thrive because Shawn had set the mood for Austin's character to take off. By the time Rock came around, pro wrestling actually needed him right then at that time, and luckily, he came to form and rose to the top. When Shawn left, Austin and Rock each had less than 5 years at the top - but to be fair, Shawn's constant injuries and losing his smile took some of his years away, too.

I place Shawn above Rock/Austin not on terms of "who's the biggest star", but on "star of their respective eras". One thing that permitted Austin to thrive was Shawn leaving and not competing for the top spot. That's also partly what created the void that The Rock capitalized on. Unfortunately, Eddie passed before he could truly rise to that level - he was on the way, he was meteoric. If he had just another 2 years, he would have probably been equal to The Rock.

He was more over and had more longevity than Austin. When Austin and Rock came in, they came into the D-X Era that Shawn Michaels defined. As a reminder, the other show had the nWo, and WWE had a bunch of people nobody cared about such as Los Bariquas, Test, Albert, and "The Brood". Austin was able to thrive because Shawn had set the mood for Austin's character to take off. By the time Rock came around, pro wrestling actually needed him right then at that time, and luckily, he came to form and rose to the top. When Shawn left, Austin and Rock each had less than 5 years at the top - but to be fair, Shawn's constant injuries and losing his smile took some of his years away, too.

I place Shawn above Rock/Austin not on terms of "who's the biggest star", but on "star of their respective eras". One thing that permitted Austin to thrive was Shawn leaving and not competing for the top spot. That's also partly what created the void that The Rock capitalized on. Unfortunately, Eddie passed before he could truly rise to that level - he was on the way, he was meteoric. If he had just another 2 years, he would have probably been equal to The Rock.

I have to disagree.

Shawn benefitted from Vince being in love with him. He had great in ring talent for sure, but Austin and Rock were more self made...(Ringmaster and Rocky Miavia anyone?)

Back