How to Pass Spider Guard

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Pass-Spider-Guard

Spider guard has long been one of the more irritating types of guard to pass. Spider guard offers the tremendous benefit of keeping a much larger opponent at bay, and so, no matter what size your partner is, they can likely give you a tough time with this particular guard. What follows are three very fundamental approaches to passing spider guard you can start using right away. You might also consider studying some of these options for spider guard, or even these more advanced options in order to more fully understand the potential of the position.

the first thing i normally do is start to walk backwards to force them to sit up which then makes easy to kill the grips if he has it lassoed well then its a bit harder

step on his bicep and yank your arm backwards to break the grip. Marcelo style.

Nice page, I forget about spider-guard because nobody at my club really uses it. Everybody loves X/half-X/half guard etc. But I will drill these soon, they look good.

Generally what I do is step on the thigh of the lower leg to break the grip and work a leg drag - I'm 5'4'' so passing giant legs are a bitch

Nice page, I forget about spider-guard because nobody at my club really uses it. Everybody loves X/half-X/half guard etc. But I will drill these soon, they look good.
Thanks!

Back