What do you think about this schedule?

RickyN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I recently stopped kickboxing completely (0 motivation to keep training, despite success in a few ammie tournaments) and started powerlifting. My current goals are a x1.25 bench, x1.50 squat and x1.75 deadlift of my bodyweight, which is 80kg. For now, only my deadlift is there at 140kg.
Ive come up with the following program. Critique away guys!

WEEK A: 5x5
SUN: Sqt 5x5, Bench 5x5
MON
TUE: Deadlift 5x5, Asstnc
WED
THU: Bench 5x5, Squat 5x5
FRI: Run/HIIT Circuit
SAT

WEEK B: 531 = 55331 (this way, every other week I attempt a new 1RM record on the 3 main lifts)
SUN: Squat 531, OHP 5x5
MON
TUE: Deadlift 531, Asstnc
WED
THU: Bench 531, Front Squat 5x5
FRI: Run/Circuit/Assistance
SAT

So I recently stopped kickboxing completely (0 motivation to keep training, despite success in a few ammie tournaments) and started powerlifting. My current goals are a x1.25 bench, x1.50 squat and x1.75 deadlift of my bodyweight, which is 80kg. For now, only my deadlift is there at 140kg.
Ive come up with the following program. Critique away guys!

WEEK A: 5x5
SUN: Sqt 5x5, Bench 5x5
MON
TUE: Deadlift 5x5, Asstnc
WED
THU: Bench 5x5, Squat 5x5
FRI: Run/HIIT Circuit
SAT

WEEK B: 531 = 55331 (this way, every other week I attempt a new 1RM record on the 3 main lifts)
SUN: Squat 531, OHP 5x5
MON
TUE: Deadlift 531, Asstnc
WED
THU: Bench 531, Front Squat 5x5
FRI: Run/Circuit/Assistance
SAT

Since you were a fighter, I have a question how did you fit in explosiveness training when you were training muay thai? I haven't trained in a legit gym since July of 2017, and am just getting back into it in 2 weeks. So if you could answer that question that would be nice.

Since you were a fighter, I have a question how did you fit in explosiveness training when you were training muay thai? I haven't trained in a legit gym since July of 2017, and am just getting back into it in 2 weeks. So if you could answer that question that would be nice.
Lol, thread hijacked xD

Jk, iz kool.

Short answer: I didn't.
When I was training (first boxing, then kickboxing and finally MMA), I just did a shit ton of bagwork. On non-sparring days, I'd do 12 to 15 rounds on the bag, full power and going all out. Then I'd do 2 or 3 rounds of shadow boxing with 2kg dumbbells.
In a matter of weeks, my speed and explosiveness went up exponentially. I was landing anything I wanted in sparring due to sheer speed.
Many people now seem concerned with plyometrics, powerlifting and other such side-activities which are claimed to make you faster... honestly though, I did none of that and went from not being able to land a single cross in sparring due to being slow, to being the fastest guy in the gym for my weight (75kg). Lifting always destroyed my mediocre cardio and left me way too tired for specific training.
The more sport-specific the exercise, the better. Bagwork is as specific as it gets. You punch and kick things in kickboxing, so you might as well get good at it by punching and kicking as much as possible with speed and power.
Aside from that, I would do sprints once a week and a longer run once, mixed with push ups and pull ups.
As you see, 80% of my training was either sparring or bags or pads (specific to my sport), and the other 20 were to fill up time and keep active during the 'rest' days. I would have been equally good without the sprints and bodyweight exercises to be honest.

To recap, my advice is do a lot of bags on your free days, focusing on hitting it with power and speed (always wear wraps and go all out). Do it 3x a week and you should see results in two weeks.

Now if your goal is to be rounded athletically (have general strength, speed, agility and endurance), then just do it in cycles. 6 weeks of strength training only, then 2 or 3 weeks of running, sprints, long distance, cycling, bags to build up cardio (and only focus on cardio), then dedicate yourself to muay thai with a solid physical base for a few months, then do another cycle like that. A lot of guys did that. There's mpre to life for most ppl than fighting. A lot want to be ripped, or go do triathlons etc etc so they try to fit these other things in.
I never did, just stuck to fighting and it worked well.
Depends on your goals. Have a goal in mind and be goal-specific in your training.

Lol, thread hijacked xD

Jk, iz kool.

Short answer: I didn't.
When I was training (first boxing, then kickboxing and finally MMA), I just did a shit ton of bagwork. On non-sparring days, I'd do 12 to 15 rounds on the bag, full power and going all out. Then I'd do 2 or 3 rounds of shadow boxing with 2kg dumbbells.
In a matter of weeks, my speed and explosiveness went up exponentially. I was landing anything I wanted in sparring due to sheer speed.
Many people now seem concerned with plyometrics, powerlifting and other such side-activities which are claimed to make you faster... honestly though, I did none of that and went from not being able to land a single cross in sparring due to being slow, to being the fastest guy in the gym for my weight (75kg). Lifting always destroyed my mediocre cardio and left me way too tired for specific training.
The more sport-specific the exercise, the better. Bagwork is as specific as it gets. You punch and kick things in kickboxing, so you might as well get good at it by punching and kicking as much as possible with speed and power.
Aside from that, I would do sprints once a week and a longer run once, mixed with push ups and pull ups.
As you see, 80% of my training was either sparring or bags or pads (specific to my sport), and the other 20 were to fill up time and keep active during the 'rest' days. I would have been equally good without the sprints and bodyweight exercises to be honest.

To recap, my advice is do a lot of bags on your free days, focusing on hitting it with power and speed (always wear wraps and go all out). Do it 3x a week and you should see results in two weeks.

Now if your goal is to be rounded athletically (have general strength, speed, agility and endurance), then just do it in cycles. 6 weeks of strength training only, then 2 or 3 weeks of running, sprints, long distance, cycling, bags to build up cardio (and only focus on cardio), then dedicate yourself to muay thai with a solid physical base for a few months, then do another cycle like that. A lot of guys did that. There's mpre to life for most ppl than fighting. A lot want to be ripped, or go do triathlons etc etc so they try to fit these other things in.
I never did, just stuck to fighting and it worked well.
Depends on your goals. Have a goal in mind and be goal-specific in your training.

When you say longer runs, do you mean run a mile?

When you say longer runs, do you mean run a mile?
Mmm more like a 4 kilometer run (not sure how many miles that is? About 2.5 I'd guess). Moderate intensity is what I go for, and I avoid loong 5k+ runs because I think they wear the joints out more than shorter, quicker runs and that type of aerobic endurance isn't the most applicable to combat sports.

Mmm more like a 4 kilometer run (not sure how many miles that is? About 2.5 I'd guess). Moderate intensity is what I go for, and I avoid loong 5k+ runs because I think they wear the joints out more than shorter, quicker runs and that type of aerobic endurance isn't the most applicable to combat sports.

Ok I'm working up to a mile right now, I'm close to being able to run 1 mile without getting tired. Would you recommend doing some sprint drills to get a better mile?

Nice to see a front squat in there. People will do 5 types of bench and only a back squat. Craziness!

Ok I'm working up to a mile right now, I'm close to being able to run 1 mile without getting tired. Would you recommend doing some sprint drills to get a better mile?
Well, beep test helped me a lot with building up my initial running times.
Sprints won't help longer runs too much imo. You can try running fartlek for set distances, for example:
30 seconds fast run (e.g: 75% of your sprint speed) followed by 30 seconds slower pace jogging (40-50% of max speed), then repeat until you complete, say, 4 laps around the track.
Time intervals can be 30:30, 60:60, 30:60, whatever you can handle at this point, then work your way up. It's supposed to help develop Vo2 Max faster than steady runs.

Nice to see a front squat in there. People will do 5 types of bench and only a back squat. Craziness!
I started doing them after watching Nick Curson on JRE and hearing him defending them vehemently. I'm also slowly starting to incorporate olympic lifts like a clean to push press, and the front squat is essential for them.
First 5x5 I did resulted in the worst DOMS of my life tho lol took a week to clear up

One thing I do avoid is the low bar squat. I feel so much weaker on it than the high bar. Probably just shit technique, but oh well...

I started doing them after watching Nick Curson on JRE and hearing him defending them vehemently. I'm also slowly starting to incorporate olympic lifts like a clean to push press, and the front squat is essential for them.
First 5x5 I did resulted in the worst DOMS of my life tho lol took a week to clear up

One thing I do avoid is the low bar squat. I feel so much weaker on it than the high bar. Probably just shit technique, but oh well...
I do front squat instead of back squat most of the time. I feel weaker, but get more out of it for that reason. It's gotta be more beneficial having the weight in your hands (more or less). I also think it's probably less stressful on my knees using a lower weight. That said I test my back squat from time to time and it keeps going up. Enjoy!

Well, beep test helped me a lot with building up my initial running times.
Sprints won't help longer runs too much imo. You can try running fartlek for set distances, for example:
30 seconds fast run (e.g: 75% of your sprint speed) followed by 30 seconds slower pace jogging (40-50% of max speed), then repeat until you complete, say, 4 laps around the track.
Time intervals can be 30:30, 60:60, 30:60, whatever you can handle at this point, then work your way up. It's supposed to help develop Vo2 Max faster than steady runs.

I just got out of work and while I was at work I asked a guy who runs track for his college about this too he said the same thing but said to take supplements, but I don't know what supplements are good for running I've heard of BPN flight, one guy at GNC recommended beyond raw, I've heard of BSN explode or whatever, which would you recommend?

He didn't tell me what supplement I should take but he said their's a guy on Instagram that's a nutritionist and that he helped him out.

5/3/1 is not what you should be doing. 3x5 Linear Progression is what you need based on where you are at.

How old are you?

5/3/1 is not what you should be doing. 3x5 Linear Progression is what you need based on where you are at.

How old are you?
21. Started lifting for a year or so at 15, then stopped when I got into boxing. Only resumed with weights about 2 months ago.
I feel like 3x5 is too low volume for me though...

21. Started lifting for a year or so at 15, then stopped when I got into boxing. Only resumed with weights about 2 months ago.
I feel like 3x5 is too low volume for me though...

3x5 is the perfect volume for where you are at. Trust me.

Where are your numbers? Honestly

3x5 is the perfect volume for where you are at. Trust me.

Where are your numbers? Honestly
Bench 1RM 95kg
Squat 1RM 110kg
Deadlift 1RM 140kg

I'm putting on 2.5 to 5kg each week on all the lifts for now tho.

At 3x5 I feel fully recovered way sooner than the next session hitting the same movement.
I was used to training 6-7 times a week before I started lifting. Now, I can't imagine only lifting 3-4 days a week, and at 3x5 at that.

Bench 1RM 95kg
Squat 1RM 110kg
Deadlift 1RM 140kg

At 3x5 I feel fully recovered way sooner than the next session hitting the same movement.
I was used to training 6-7 times a week before I started lifting. Now, I can't imagine only lifting 3-4 days a week, and at 3x5 at that.

I think beyond 5/3/1 would be good for you if your looking for a challenge I'm about to change my strength program to that one next week.

Nothing wrong with the program that I would say. For the running, I tend to prefer sprints for the added explosive training. Best of luck.

Bench 1RM 95kg
Squat 1RM 110kg
Deadlift 1RM 140kg

If your numbers are accurate, your bench is getting pretty close to 1.25x, good job.

You feel recovered way sooner because your not lifting heavy enough at 3x5.

Boxing≠Strength training. You can do some form of boxing training 6 days a week. You can't do strength training 6 days a week. It is more intense and it takes more time to recover from.

Its all dependent on your goals. General strength for fitness? Bodybuilding? Powerlifting?

5x5 programs are not bad, they do work, however everyone tries to assume they are at a higher level then they actually are. At your current bodyweight you shouldn't even think about an intermediate programming until you can squat around 2x your bodyweight, and pull around 2.5xBW.

To give you a reference point, I have been following Advanced Novice sections of starting strength and I am still making progress 4.5 months in. My squat 1RM is 122kg, 150kg deadlift, and 75kg bench, but I only weigh 67kg and its not stopping anytime soon. Besides your bench, I out lift you at 13kg(29lbs) less, and I am still classified as an advanced novice.

5x5 is traditionally picked up when 3x5 doesn't cause weekly adaptations. You are still adding 2.5 to 5kg a week? Then you are still a novice by the very definition.

Last edited:
https://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Hot-Topics-Cluster-Sets-Part-I/ <------ Dr Stone who ran the Olympic Training Center for 20 years came up with this idea. This will result in greater "explosiveness" and here is an example of me performing a 6/1 cluster set. I can't remember if it was 425lb or what because camera angle only displays the big plates and it was at least a year ago-----> 5 X 5 is ok, but if you want to dominate your opponent in a combat sport, all the division 1 strength coaches who I went to school with are using cluster training

Last edited:
Back