Passing On "Your Teams" to your kids?

Nameless Ghoul

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
We were talking about it at work tonight, in a light hearted comedic way. If you live in a different sports market than "your loyalty". Do you try to get your kids to cheer for your teams? Or "let" them cheer for the local teams?

I would try to get them to enjoy the teams I grew up with, and with the different sports packages it's easier to accomplish that, because you can watch games easier than ever. It's not like the old days when you only have newspapers, an occasionally National broadcast, and when/if they come to town.

My current situation being a NE Ohio guy in Michigan. would be rough. Hypothetically being a die-hard Buckeye/Cleveland sports fan, I wouldn't be thrilled if they chose to be a Tigers/Pistons/Spartan fan I guess? I would miss the chance to share that connection together, but at least they enjoy the sport(s) If they were to be a U of M fan though, I will have failed them as a parent..and my kid could fuck off. lol

So what say you, on this topic?

I think I'd be okay with my hypothetical children having local athletes they really liked, maybe a jersey or two they could wear when we went to games, but they'd be wearing yellow and black any other time.

My hypothetical kids will be supporting who i want and they have no choice! Get it!

YNWA (you never walk alone)

My dad tried making me a packer fan as a kid, I believe the bullshit til I was like 8 years old. Then I became my own man and cheered for the Bears. Broke him. Started voting democrat and shit.

So no, they can cheer for whoever they want. If they don't cheer for the Bears they're their mothers kids anyways. Fuckin' punks.

The wife and I don't really plan to have kids and we're running out of time for that to happen. But if we did, we live local anyway. I doubt I'd have to try hard. I also wouldn't care if they picked some other teams to root for. It's just sports and it would be fun to have something meaningless to argue about.

My dad tried to make me a UVA fan growing up. It largely worked to the extent I rooted for them over other schools, mostly because there was never really pressure, just him constantly bringing up how they were doing, lol ('Did you see what the U did last night?' or 'Wanna watch the U get boliterated?'). But I also don't care greatly about college sports since I went DIII.

My dad would have disowned me if I didn't root for Note Dame or the Packers. I don't even watch team sports anymore though. Only hockey playoffs.

I've often wondered about how certain muricans got to the teams they follow, in football/soccer you can or could pick a team on religious grounds or social class, has this every been the case with US sports ? Do Irish/muricans who like basketball follow the Celtics? is there sports teams Italian muricans follow for similar reasons, or is it just based on geography, Mets nearer your house than the Yankees

i would want my kids to like the popular teams. so, for example in basketball, i would hope my kid maybe started with the Heat, then went to the Cavs, and on to the Warriors, but I would give them no more than a year to become a lifelong Lakers fan. Thats the way all the kids do it these days

I grew up watching Leafs games with my dad, and they were good when I was younger. But then they royally sucked for a decade and now finally we're good again. But I stayed a Leafs fan as I enjoyed those times with my dad.

If I were to have children, they would be getting jersey's growing up and watching the games with me. But then if they lose interest or like a different team then nothing I can do. But yes, would be trying to pass my team off to them.

It is a fathers right, no, duty, to inflict the same miserable allegiances on his children, that were bestowed upon him by his father.

I'm a 3rd(possible 4th) generation Crystal Palace fan dispite never having lived in(or near) London, no kids but my brother is trying to pass it on to his son.

Like the reverse Ravens in the Tower we are, Palace will only win the title when we theres none of us left supporting them most likely.

My father did that to me, I grew up supporting a team from another city and survived. So why not?
It's something to bond over

i would want my kids to like the popular teams. so, for example in basketball, i would hope my kid maybe started with the Heat, then went to the Cavs, and on to the Warriors, but I would give them no more than a year to become a lifelong Lakers fan. Thats the way all the kids do it these days

A lot of adults do this as well. It's sad.

I've often wondered about how certain muricans got to the teams they follow, in football/soccer you can or could pick a team on religious grounds or social class, has this every been the case with US sports ? Do Irish/muricans who like basketball follow the Celtics? is there sports teams Italian muricans follow for similar reasons, or is it just based on geography, Mets nearer your house than the Yankees
Nah more so geographic. For instance my dad is from Washington D.C. so he is everything D.C., My mom on the other hand is from Philadelphia so so roots for Philly teams. For me fuckem fuckem fuckem all FUCKEM ALL!!!!!!! I was born in the Hampton Roads(Va) ODU did not have football so I rooted for Virginia and Virginia Tech after the shooting I choose to leave Virginia Tech alone. Liking UVA got me suspended to long of a story. So I picked Stanford in elementary school because I was always a 49ers/Bay area fan. I one local team but thats it.

Nah more so geographic. For instance my dad is from Washington D.C. so he is everything D.C., My mom on the other hand is from Philadelphia so so roots for Philly teams. For me fuckem fuckem fuckem all FUCKEM ALL!!!!!!! I was born in the Hampton Roads(Va) ODU did not have football so I rooted for Virginia and Virginia Tech after the shooting I choose to leave Virginia Tech alone. Liking UVA got me suspended to long of a story. So I picked Stanford in elementary school because I was always a 49ers/Bay area fan. I one local team but thats it.
don't know if it happens as much as It may have at one time, but what do folks do when a franchise leaves town? didn't Seattle lose a couple of big teams ?

don't know if it happens as much as It may have at one time, but what do folks do when a franchise leaves town? didn't Seattle lose a couple of big teams ?
It depends if you look at the Raiders, Rams and Chargers they all have history in Los Angeles but the first two had received a warm welcome when they said they might move back to L.A. they had a lot of history with that city that lead to having loyal fans after they left for Oakland and St.Louis respectfully. The Chargers on the other hand had spent one year in L.A. and left for San Diego so they did the fans and the city dirty and have not been in the area for so long either the original fans died or changed to another team. But when ever a team moves the fans either follow it or will support till the day they die. For the Seattle topic the answer is they had to Super Sonics and the Seattle Pilots. The first turned into the OKC Thunder some people I know that were Sonic fans started to support OKC. The Seattle Pilots turned into the Milwaukee Brewers it was so ago my pops couldn't even produce sperm to make me so IDK what happened to there fan base but I do know they moved after 1yr.
YO that chick in the pic is fine.

A lot of adults do this as well. It's sad.
i know. they need to pass this on to their kids.

honestly though it is sad that it has come to this. but it is almost inevitable with the way players switch teams now. i mean, i grew up in detroit and most of the guys were there for many years

tigers- trammell, whitaker, morris, lemon, etc. they all stayed there for all or a large part of their careers

lions- billy sims (injury cut short a great career), sanders, herman moore - thats it, everyone else sucked

pistons- laimbeer, thomas, vinnie johnson, etc

now players only stay a year or two for the most part. had whitaker or yzerman changed teams, i might not have had a new favorite team, but i definitely would have had a close second

i really hate people though that pick only popular teams. like lebron. he is a cowboys fan, yankees fan, etc. could you be any more pathetic? support your home team. dont just pick the popular teams no matter where they are. the only exception would be like if you were a cubs fan or braves fan in baseball. i can see that because all of their games used to be on tv, so it is easy to root for those teams if you always see them..

i really hate people though that pick only popular teams. like lebron. he is a cowboys fan, yankees fan, etc. could you be any more pathetic? support your home team. dont just pick the popular teams no matter where they are. the only exception would be like if you were a cubs fan or braves fan in baseball. i can see that because all of their games used to be on tv, so it is easy to root for those teams if you always see them..
Shit like that always concerned me with people because it kinda tells you the way they are.

Back