Which Fallout game was better? New Vegas or 4?

???????

• Total voters

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of playing through one of these games in the near future.

I played Fallout 3 when it released a decade ago.

And for the PC gamers here, which one is better with mods?

Haven’t played NV myself but the consensus is it’s the better game iirc. The story in 4 is a little lackluster. I still enjoyed the hell out of it though.

The story is a bit better in NV... the but the fight mechanics are graphics are way better with 4. Of course we're talking 360 vs One here.. but it's a world of difference.

New Vegas. Fallout 3 is also superior to Fallout 4 and NV imo. However, each game excels at their own things, so it depends on what you like in a game. I'll list some pros and cons, imo of course:

Fallout 3:

Better exploration, more interesting things in nooks and crannies, more wacky encounters while exploring. I like the design for cities and your house more, better dungeon design imo. Easier than the other games on default settings, less "special" damage resistant enemies. As a side effect of that, you can explore nearly anywhere from the start. You absolutely cannot fuck around with certain areas at a low level in the other games, everything will murder you. The tutorial section at the beginning is kind of a drag, and you're trapped in the starting area until you complete it. Easily my favorite game of the series.

New Vegas: Much more of a focus on various factions, more faction quest lines. Better DLC. Much harder as they added damage resistant mobs, so you can't explore certain areas until you get good gear. I find the characters and dialogue a lot more bland in this game than in FO3. Gunplay is slightly improved. More variety in weapon choices. Your starting house is in a much more boring area with less npcs to interact with. More of a wild west feel than FO3. More options for quests because there are more factions.

FO4: Gunplay is improved again. RPG elements are dumbed down and simplified compared to other games. Power armor revamped to operate like a mech suit, which is pretty cool. Again there are "super mobs" that you can't fuck with at low levels, which gate off certain areas. Probably the most challenging game of the series. Bigger cities with more npcs. More weapon variety and customization options. Dialogue options rarely seem to matter. A large focus on base building, which I found incredibly boring. But tbf you can skip over most of it. The least rpg like game of the series, but better combat.

Fallout 3 & Fallout NV > Fallout 4

I think Fallout 3 is a little bit better than New Vegas; Fallout 3 is my favorite fallout game.

New Vegas. Fallout 3 is also superior to Fallout 4 and NV imo. However, each game excels at their own things, so it depends on what you like in a game. I'll list some pros and cons, imo of course:

Fallout 3:

Better exploration, more interesting things in nooks and crannies, more wacky encounters while exploring. I like the design for cities and your house more, better dungeon design imo. Easier than the other games on default settings, less "special" damage resistant enemies. As a side effect of that, you can explore nearly anywhere from the start. You absolutely cannot fuck around with certain areas at a low level in the other games, everything will murder you. The tutorial section at the beginning is kind of a drag, and you're trapped in the starting area until you complete it. Easily my favorite game of the series.

New Vegas: Much more of a focus on various factions, more faction quest lines. Better DLC. Much harder as they added damage resistant mobs, so you can't explore certain areas until you get good gear. I find the characters and dialogue a lot more bland in this game than in FO3. Gunplay is slightly improved. More variety in weapon choices. Your starting house is in a much more boring area with less npcs to interact with. More of a wild west feel than FO3. More options for quests because there are more factions.

FO4: Gunplay is improved again. RPG elements are dumbed down and simplified compared to other games. Power armor revamped to operate like a mech suit, which is pretty cool. Again there are "super mobs" that you can't fuck with at low levels, which gate off certain areas. Probably the most challenging game of the series. Bigger cities with more npcs. More weapon variety and customization options. Dialogue options rarely seem to matter. A large focus on base building, which I found incredibly boring. But tbf you can skip over most of it. The least rpg like game of the series, but better combat.

agree wholeheartedly

imo F3 had the darkest easter eggs (more children's skeletons, written notes everywhere, suicides, embracing skeletons) and solid, innovative DLC

033-the-little-boy.jpg

FNV had the best politics/quest branches/mission complexity
118786-1446940800.png

F4 had impressive building mechanics (Vault Building DLC) and settlement/population management
Screenshot-Original.png

each excels at their own thing, all allow for RPG playthroughs but I think F4 took heat from diehard fans for feeling a little too on-the-rails with your destiny and character Identity. You couldn't be anything outside of your father's son, same as fallout 3

97PciJy.jpg

so for New Vegas planting its character as a mysterious courier with cool, but still vague backstory in its DLC, they win the award for best RPG mobility

Last edited:
agree wholeheartedly

imo F3 had the darkest easter eggs (more children's skeletons, written notes everywhere, suicides, embracing skeletons) and solid, innovative DLC

033-the-little-boy.jpg

FNV had the best politics/quest branches/mission complexity
118786-1446940800.png

F4 had impressive building mechanics (Vault Building DLC) and settlement/population management
Screenshot-Original.png

each excels at their own thing, all allow for RPG playthroughs but I think F4 took heat from diehard fans for feeling a little too on-the-rails with your destiny and character Identity. You couldn't be anything outside of your father's son, same as fallout 3

97PciJy.jpg

so for New Vegas planting its character as a mysterious courier with cool, but still vague backstory in its DLC, they win the award for best RPG mobility
I was really disappointed with FO4 at first, just wasn't what I expected. But I'm replaying it now, and it's a great game just wish it wasn't "rpg lite" But it's cool that each game tries to do something a little different, and they all excel in different areas. Definitely my favorite franchise of the last decade.

I was really disappointed with FO4 at first, just wasn't what I expected. But I'm replaying it now, and it's a great game just wish it wasn't "rpg lite" But it's cool that each game tries to do something a little different, and they all excel in different areas. Definitely my favorite franchise of the last decade.

I didn't really feel the "darkness" of the series with fallout 4 until the third or fourth playthrough when I switched to full-blown Survival mode and restricted all armor to clothes, then everything changed. Being forced to stealthily ambush and escape areas rather than clearing sites room-by-room felt as close as F4's ever been to me

Screenshot-Original.png

I also encourage anyone on Survival mode to dedicate a settlement to heavy, eccentric, sprawling upgrades because the difficulty of sourcing those materials/collectables made my love for those buildings (and settlers) extremely powerful

I beat new Vegas.. I stopped playing four after about 3 hours . I hated it and the stupid suit

I didn't really feel the "darkness" of the series with fallout 4 until the third or fourth playthrough when I switched to full-blown Survival mode and restricted all armor to clothes, then everything changed. Being forced to stealthily ambush and escape areas rather than clearing sites room-by-room felt as close as F4's ever been to me

Screenshot-Original.png

I also encourage anyone on Survival mode to dedicate a settlement to heavy, eccentric, sprawling upgrades because the difficulty of sourcing those materials/collectables made my love for those buildings (and settlers) extremely powerful
I enjoy the beginning of these games the most, because you have to conserve resources and fight strategically. More so than later on when you're basically Rambo. Like last night, I ran into a Super Mutant camp. Blundered into it the first time and got one shot. So I looked thru my gear, and I had a pipe sniper rifle. Really low damage output. But I hate leaving areas and coming back as the terminator.

So I found a mountain ridge above their base, and spent 30 minutes slowly picking them off one by one while I moved from cover to cover. Then after I meticulously looted the base, found a hunting rifle, then went back to my base and put a scope and other mods on it. Now I have a more practical sniper rifle for the next encampment. Later on that night, I found a raider camp and systematically killed them all with headshots under the cover of darkness.

Just love that feeling of gradual progression in the early game, you get a little stronger at each stage. I was badly irradiated and I haven't found a vendor yet in this playthrough. I found like 3 radaways in the raiders camp to keep me going while I explore. I like that medical supplies are relatively scarce early in FO4. Forces you to engage carefully and consider risk/reward. I got one radx left, is it worth exploring that boat in the center of a radioactive lake, or is that a waste of supplies right now?

havent gotten to NV but 4 was fun as hell. Story could be tweaked here and there but between the DlC and main there is so much to do. Ive spent like 4 months alone wrapping everything up. fort building, exploring etc etc

Last edited:
New Vegas to me, is better then 4, even more fun when modded on PC.

i like 4, i want to like it. it's just too plain jane for me, though the survival mode and "clothes" run someone mentioned does seem like something to try.

I haven't played 4, but I feel that NV is the best in the series.

I haven't played 4, but I feel that NV is the best in the series.

in that case the only two Fallout 4 questions you need to ask yourself are

fallout-4-wasteland-workshop.jpg

1. will you build a good or evil vault
2. will your settlements trap dozens of cats and release them alongside enslaved raiders that are made to fight eachother to the death in a cage filled with cats
2. will you play the game normally or will you recruit Travis Miles the nerdy radio DJ and meet him outside of a brewery and refuse to go in, thereby trapping him forever at your side as an invulnerable killing machine prone to eccentric, un-commandable inventory decisions and a hair-trigger bloodlust who stacks on top of your normal followers and operates devoid of all morality

I liked 4 better. I hated the factions in NV, it was too cartoony.

I enjoy the beginning of these games the most, because you have to conserve resources and fight strategically. More so than later on when you're basically Rambo. Like last night, I ran into a Super Mutant camp. Blundered into it the first time and got one shot. So I looked thru my gear, and I had a pipe sniper rifle. Really low damage output. But I hate leaving areas and coming back as the terminator.

So I found a mountain ridge above their base, and spent 30 minutes slowly picking them off one by one while I moved from cover to cover. Then after I meticulously looted the base, found a hunting rifle, then went back to my base and put a scope and other mods on it. Now I have a more practical sniper rifle for the next encampment. Later on that night, I found a raider camp and systematically killed them all with headshots under the cover of darkness.

Just love that feeling of gradual progression in the early game, you get a little stronger at each stage. I was badly irradiated and I haven't found a vendor yet in this playthrough. I found like 3 radaways in the raiders camp to keep me going while I explore. I like that medical supplies are relatively scarce early in FO4. Forces you to engage carefully and consider risk/reward. I got one radx left, is it worth exploring that boat in the center of a radioactive lake, or is that a waste of supplies right now?
Open world RPGs are my favorite type of games, but lately I've had a problem after completing about 75% of it. Like you said, I enjoy the early parts of these games, having to strategize and struggle. The slow progression, challenge and real role playing are what make these games great. But then once I become overpowered, I get bored. Especially if the story and dialogue aren't interesting. So I'll just stop playing and move onto another game.

Been playing POE and POE II. Great games, but once I become too powerful, a part of it becomes pointless. Luckily the stories in those games are worthwhile.

Anyways, I like NV > FO3 > FO4. But if we're talking the whole franchise, then FO2 is my favorite of the bunch.

New Vegas for sure, and it's the best one overall of the VATS era.

I loved it way more than Fallout 3 & Fallout 4.

It's glitchy like the Bethesda games are but Kudos to Obsidian for coming out with such a fun game on an 18 month development cycle. I really wish both companies could cycle games (Bethesda doing Fallout games on the east coast, and Obsidian doing west coast settings)

As much as I liked NV, I felt that the game was too NCR sided. The majority of the quests were favored towards the NCR for the most, all of your companions disliked the Legion (except for Raul), and the NCR controls of 90% of territory; if you decided to side with the Legion, it'd be pretty hard to traverse the Mojave Wasteland. And then there's the fact that the Legion only has 20 quests in comparison to the NCR's 42.

Back