when would you use this variation of the Xande sweep?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I just found this clip and I really like this (I didn't even know this variation was possible) but I'm having trouble imagining what I would use this in response to.

Thoughts?

It's mechanically not really like Xande's flower sweep, although it looks similar. It's more like a spider/lasso tilt sweep.

I could see it being useful if your opponent is staying too tight to get more than your knees in for spider guard.

It depends what kind of distance you’re keeping in full guard. The pic below is a very natural set up.

Same as the Xande/flower sweep but your shins are touching your opponent instead of your hamstrings.

Attachments

• B4467369-9642-4A1A-BED9-D6EE6C0D5EBD.jpeg
    B4467369-9642-4A1A-BED9-D6EE6C0D5EBD.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 9
it works super well someone tries to stack into a knee shield or feet-on-hips guard.

I played with this tonight a bunch. I've been digging feet-on-hips guard a lot. You don't have the extension of spider guard, or the extra control of lasso guard, but you're in less leglock danger, it's much easier to sweep them over your head if they stand up or stack, and it's much easier to transition back to closed guard.

I played with this tonight a bunch. I've been digging feet-on-hips guard a lot. You don't have the extension of spider guard, or the extra control of lasso guard, but you're in less leglock danger, it's much easier to sweep them over your head if they stand up or stack, and it's much easier to transition back to closed guard.

Any tips for getting feet-on-hips guard working against standing opponents, like Kron? I struggle to make it effective.

eh, not really. just sit up. most people are smart enough to know not to sprawl or stack into it, and if you don't control their sleeves they're gonna just shuck your legs to the side and pass. the guard-vs-standing metagame trends towards DLR and X because they just work that damn well.

Back