Which Fallout game was better? New Vegas or 4?

???????

• Total voters
New Vegas.

FO4 has it's moments and Far Harbor was pretty good. With exception to the improved graphics and gun play Fallout 4 felt like a downgrade everywhere else. It's still a great looter/shooter but they murdered the RPG side of things. Outside of changing the characters name, the player can't inject anymore of themselves into the game. You can only be Nate or Nora and by proxy a former soldier or lawyer. Dialogue options are usually restricted to 3 versions of Yes and 1 No (actually yes). It's very hard to ignore your missing son as your constantly reminded that you are or should be looking for him regardless of quest.

Enemies and factions are pretty uninspired. BoS again. Supermutants again. Generic raiders again. Railroad and Institute could have been more interesting but BGS doesn't make RPGs anymore. BoS are back to being Mary Sue save the world types. Supermutants show up in place they probably shouldn't exist and they are as dumb as ever. Raiders go back to being a homogeneous group, no longer having specialized gangs with a backstory like in NV. Nuka World fixes this somewhat but you gotta pay to play.

They also managed to take a step forward and two steps back with character building. Reduced SPECIAL points at character creation was a great change. You can't start off as a jack of all trades superman. Unfortunately you can level up ad infinitum and still end up being a god as opposed to a specialized character with flaws.

Last edited:
4 was a buggy mess. nv by default.
I had more issues with bugs with NV.
You're both right!

If you want to expand on what you played in Fallout 3, then New Vegas. If you want a greatly simplified version of Fallout 3, then play 4.
Vegas is the better story, 4 is the better gameplay.
I can play NV start to finish with no mods and be entertained. At last count I had 138 mods running on 4 to make it interesting/work.

Last edited:
I think new Vegas was the one i got, I think. Might have been 3, need to go look.

I had a friend that was deep in the fallout series and recommended I play it, I remember liking it for a while, then getting to a point where trying to explore was just constantly wrecked every time I ran into super mutants, either I would die, or be so spent after coming out alive that the very next thing I ran into would kill me.

It was like I must have missed something in the order I was going about the open world.

And the fight mechanics aggravated me, that’s all I really remember. Think I played it less than a week.

I probably should try and revisit it , but as it was on my 360, if it’s backwards compatible, I will have to start over from scratch as I could not get my 360 account linked over to my one. I tried miserably for a while.

So difficult to answer. I guess I like Fallout 4 better because it feels streamlined, and the combat system is much more fluid and actually entertaining (I was never a fan of it in fallout 3 and NV). Plus the game is prettier than the brown orgy of NV.

The plot of NV is infinitely denser, and it sucked me in in a way Fallout 4 never came close to.

But overall I think Fallout 4 is a bit underrated. It improved some of the things I felt needed improving in the Fallout series, and I guess I belong to its target demographic (which isn't the hardcore, longtime fans).

Open world RPGs are my favorite type of games, but lately I've had a problem after completing about 75% of it. Like you said, I enjoy the early parts of these games, having to strategize and struggle. The slow progression, challenge and real role playing are what make these games great. But then once I become overpowered, I get bored. Especially if the story and dialogue aren't interesting. So I'll just stop playing and move onto another game.

Been playing POE and POE II. Great games, but once I become too powerful, a part of it becomes pointless. Luckily the stories in those games are worthwhile.

Anyways, I like NV > FO3 > FO4. But if we're talking the whole franchise, then FO2 is my favorite of the bunch.
I have the same problem with Skyrim. I've done several playthroughs, but once I get strong enough to just beat up dragons I don't really want to play anymore. It breaks immersion to me when the characters and dialogue hype things up as threats, that you know won't be a challenge to kill

I think new Vegas was the one i got, I think. Might have been 3, need to go look.

I had a friend that was deep in the fallout series and recommended I play it, I remember liking it for a while, then getting to a point where trying to explore was just constantly wrecked every time I ran into super mutants, either I would die, or be so spent after coming out alive that the very next thing I ran into would kill me.

It was like I must have missed something in the order I was going about the open world.

And the fight mechanics aggravated me, that’s all I really remember. Think I played it less than a week.

I probably should try and revisit it , but as it was on my 360, if it’s backwards compatible, I will have to start over from scratch as I could not get my 360 account linked over to my one. I tried miserably for a while.
Sounds like it might have been FO3. That game doesn't really have strong pockets of monsters, so you can just pick a random direction and start exploring from the start.

Problem is, if you head for DC and start going through the grid of subways, eventually you're going to run into super mutant camps. If you don't have supplies and a good gun, that's going to be rough.

Sounds like it might have been FO3. That game doesn't really have strong pockets of monsters, so you can just pick a random direction and start exploring from the start.

Problem is, if you head for DC and start going through the grid of subways, eventually you're going to run into super mutant camps. If you don't have supplies and a good gun, that's going to be rough.

I just looked in my old ass game stack, it is 3

I just looked in my old ass game stack, it is 3
Yeah from the description I thought it might be. You're free to explore most places at low levels, but there are a couple of areas with Deathclaws. And the entire DC subway area is crawling with Super Mutants. They're no big deal if you go north, south, or west first. But if you have the bad luck to go east first, pat Rivet City, you can run into areas that are nothing but Super Mutants that are pretty tough to kill if you only have a weak weapon like a hand gun.

I'm thinking of playing through one of these games in the near future.

I played Fallout 3 when it released a decade ago.

And for the PC gamers here, which one is better with mods?
I played both but never completed either I got FONV on the PC so from the start I was playing a modded game. FONV also was a STEAM release too unlike FO3 so it took awhile before decent original mods was released for it due to STEAM. Most the mods was meh until the modders found ways to get FO3 mod to work with FONV and G.E.C.K got released. Compared to how FO3 was with mods it wasn't even close until they started to port shit over from FO3. As for FO4 most the mods I played with on there was settlement stuff and mod that wasn't going to cause big conflicts with the base game. I stopped playing it around a year ago on the PC so it might have gotten better but compared to FONV most the mods was meh.

Yeah from the description I thought it might be. You're free to explore most places at low levels, but there are a couple of areas with Deathclaws. And the entire DC subway area is crawling with Super Mutants. They're no big deal if you go north, south, or west first. But if you have the bad luck to go east first, pat Rivet City, you can run into areas that are nothing but Super Mutants that are pretty tough to kill if you only have a weak weapon like a hand gun.
That is exactly what happened to me I believe.

NV is what you call a well written RPG. I felt like the choices I made will determine the outcome for the Mojave and the people I felt like I can relate to some of the characters and situations. Wild wasteland and the gold nugget hidden gems made the game A1. FO4 was like come bitch make a decision come on bitch do this do that which was like does the decisions I make matter. And the lack luster DLC and Vanilla content.

Fallout 4 was boring as fuck and it was sold as a "next gen" title an didnt looks that much better then NV. Honest i had this chat with @Gref

bethesda hasnt been making all that great of games recently. Theyve been buggy semi decent games. Nothing that i want to go crazy over.

I'm thinking of playing through one of these games in the near future.

I played Fallout 3 when it released a decade ago.

And for the PC gamers here, which one is better with mods?

Vanilla FO3 NV is better.

Modded Fallout 4 is the best if you ignore most of the story and play it like a survival sandbox game.

I don't really get knocking the story in 4, if we're comparing it to the 3 and NV. None of them are well written. Caesars legion felt tacked on.

3's story was awful too. Why won't the damn mutant, who is immune to radiation, turn the machine on?

Honestly, the basis for 4 was a lot better, IMO. Waking up from cryo sleep all confused was pretty good, IMO.

4 was a buggy mess. nv by default.
I had one game breaking bug in NV that made me rage big time. Couldn't level up my character attribute because the button for it was blacked out on the screen where you pick from the list, so I was stuck in that screen after every time I reloaded it and went to that level up screen.

My game save was corrupt so I couldn't fix it. I've heard of it happening to players at lower levels and they had to start over. Of course it happened to me when I hit level 30. I wasn't about to play through it again at that point.

I had one game breaking bug in NV that made me rage big time. Couldn't level up my character attribute because the button for it was blacked out on the screen where you pick from the list, so I was stuck in that screen after every time I reloaded it at leveled up.

My game save was corrupt so I couldn't fix it. I've heard of it happening to players at lower levels and they had to start over. Of course it happened to me when I hit level 30. I wasn't about to play through it again at that point.

my worst bugs in NV were all inventory related, I kept giving unique weapons/armor to followers only to watch them blip out of existence on the next peek in their stuff

50242-1-1368030866.jpg

hey, you need something?

latest

no

I know most everyone loves New Vegas and I liked it but I preferred Fallout 3. Fallout 4 was a disappointment but it's still a really great game that I continue to pour hours into. I'd love to have seen Obsidian get another crack in the new engine.

Fallout 4 is my pick.

I know most everyone loves New Vegas and I liked it but I preferred Fallout 3. Fallout 4 was a disappointment but it's still a really great game that I continue to pour hours into. I'd love to have seen Obsidian get another crack in the new engine.

Fallout 4 is my pick.
Actually I think a number of people do prefer 3. Each game seems to have a dedicated following. For me it's definitely 3, then NV, then 4.

As much as I liked NV, I felt that the game was too NCR sided. The majority of the quests were favored towards the NCR for the most, all of your companions disliked the Legion (except for Raul), and the NCR controls of 90% of territory; if you decided to side with the Legion, it'd be pretty hard to traverse the Mojave Wasteland. And then there's the fact that the Legion only has 20 quests in comparison to the NCR's 42.

And it's also generic good vs. evil. The factions in 4 are more nuanced than that.

Back