Popular games of the past that you just couldn’t play

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The Fallout thread made me think of this.

I gave up on fallout pretty quickly, in hind sight I should have started over as I think I progressed in the game too quickly without making sure my character was leveled up enough. Every time I went outside an area to explore super mutants Merced the heck out of me. Maybe I’ll replay it again sometime.

The secound most notable one was Half-life 2, this got great reviews and has been regarded as one of the better games in history.

I got it really cheap way after it came out and played it for about an hour. Got to a point where I had no idea where to go next and spent like an hour walking around with no idea where to go or what to do, and just said “f this stupid game”.

So that got me to thinking, what are some Wildly popular games you just gave up on quick.

These are the only two of mine that come to mind.

I cant think of too many currently, but there are a ton Ive been meaning to play but just get caught up in other stuff, you should definitely give FO3 another try. It one of the best games ever especially for its time. I still think the Optimus Prime walking across the wasteland is one of the highlights in all of fallout.

Played about 1/2 of Mass Effect 1 before completely losing interest.

Crash Bandicoot 1 was the reason for many broken controllers

Oh, my God, you're giving me an aneurysm, please just go Google a walkthrough vid of that HL2 level to figure out how to get to the next stage.

Okay, for me. Sonic. Never got that shit. Hate it. But that's how I felt at the time. It wasn't "old" when I first played the original. I also hated early third person action/stealther masterpieces like the Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid games. Just let me bang, bro.

I can't tell how much of this question is spiritually directed at the "test of time". After all, "classics" supposedly have already stood that test, so perhaps this thread is directed at younger gamers, since it's about "old" games, and those gamers' inability to tolerate antiquated technologies or game design archetypes from the past. On the other, maybe you were just inspired by the recent Berry thread asking about which popular actors people don't like, but wanted a vintage twist, rather than a focus on today's game.

Ruminating on this, I realized I've sort of lived through the entirety of videogame history, playing throughout it all, so it's not like there is ever a "culture shock" when I revisit old games. I either like it or I don't. When you grow up on silent films, it doesn't matter once you've gotten to 3D or virtual reality, because nothing along the way was an unfamiliar step into an alien past, but rather a memory of exciting progress at the time.

I cant think of too many currently, but there are a ton Ive been meaning to play but just get caught up in other stuff, you should definitely give FO3 another try. It one of the best games ever especially for its time. I still think the Optimus Prime walking across the wasteland is one of the highlights in all of fallout.

Interesting I never knew about an Optimus running around

GTA games
I don’t think I’ve ever finished one, get to a point where just running around causing havok takes over lol

Interesting, I played through MA 1 multiple times to play out different scenarios.

I bet I’ve run through it at least 6 times maybe more.

When 2 came out and you could port over your character it pissed me off you couldn’t port the full advancement over they capped it.

100% this, someone kept telling me Mass Effect 2 was a masterpiece and I remember getting ME1 from PS+ on PS3 and thinking the shooting etc was garbage.

Maybe I should try again but there is too many games to play and not enough time.

My friend lent me his PS3 to play The last of us. I kept trying to get into it but I found it boring. The story seemed good but the game play just couldn't pull me in. I forced myself to play for a bit until it became a chore. I dont dislike it's just not for me. Too bad.

That's just the most recent I can think of.

Last edited:
Metal gear solid. Just meh to me. Too much talking. Let me kill already!

I was like 17 when the first baldurs gate came out. Bought it but I sucked because I just didn't have the patience yet for that style of gameplay. Came back to it a few years later when BG2 came out. Now it's one of my favorite series of all time and I've played through both games a ton of times.

100% this, someone kept telling me Mass Effect 2 was a masterpiece and I remember getting ME1 from PS+ on PS3 and thinking the shooting etc was garbage.

Maybe I should try again but there is too many games to play and not enough time.

giphy.gif

I usually replay ME1 once or twice a year and always have a blast. But the shooting and inventory mechanics are badly dated and sometimes I play it on casual difficulty so I can white person my way through all the combat and focus on the plot.

ME2 though is a massive step up in terms of combat and general mechanics (and ME3 only gets smoother in that regard), and is probably the GOAT of the whole genre. I wouldn't let ME1 put you off it. If you fall for ME2 like so many others have you'll just end up revisiting ME1 and be a bit more forgiving perhaps

giphy.gif

I usually replay ME1 once or twice a year and always have a blast. But the shooting and inventory mechanics are badly dated and sometimes I play it on casual difficulty so I can white person my way through all the combat and focus on the plot.

ME2 though is a massive step up in terms of combat and general mechanics (and ME3 only gets smoother in that regard), and is probably the GOAT of the whole genre. I wouldn't let ME1 put you off it. If you fall for ME2 like so many others have you'll just end up revisiting ME1 and be a bit more forgiving perhaps

Ive got my PS3, Ill definitely give those games a retry when I dont have many games to play and free from work, I hope they remaster it with better mechanics because I really love rpgs with deep and expansive stories, choices, etc.

I never tried those.

They just dont hook me. I always pick em up, have fun while Im playing them. But eventually I just put them down I just never come back.

Oh, my God, you're giving me an aneurysm, please just go Google a walkthrough vid of that HL2 level to figure out how to get to the next stage.

Okay, for me. Sonic. Never got that shit. Hate it. But that's how I felt at the time. It wasn't "old" when I first played the original. I also hated early third person action/stealther masterpieces like the Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid games. Just let me bang, bro.

I can't tell how much of this question is spiritually directed at the "test of time". After all, "classics" supposedly have already stood that test, so perhaps this thread is directed at younger gamers, since it's about "old" games, and those gamers' inability to tolerate antiquated technologies or game design archetypes from the past. On the other, maybe you were just inspired by the recent Berry thread asking about which popular actors people don't like, but wanted a vintage twist, rather than a focus on today's game.

Ruminating on this, I realized I've sort of lived through the entirety of videogame history, playing throughout it all, so it's not like there is ever a "culture shock" when I revisit old games. I either like it or I don't. When you grow up on silent films, it doesn't matter once you've gotten to 3D or virtual reality, because nothing along the way was an unfamiliar step into an alien past, but rather a memory of exciting progress at the time.

1. I probably should have but just moved onto another game, I think I still have it, maybe I will sometime.

2. Sonic, loved that game when it came out, played the heck out of it. Some of the later versions I just can’t play.
Sonic pinball was surprisingly addictive as I remember it,
I recently downloaded the original Sonic on my Xbox and played it with my kid. I just beat it a couple weeks ago, I remebered it being harder originally, maybe because there were not save points and you started over at the beginnng each time?

3. I liked metal gear, never owned it but a friend had it and we played it a bunch. Can’t remember if we finished it, if I had owned it I would have for sure

4.the fallout thread made me ponder on what other games I just gave up on and never made it very far in the past.

I’ve been through all the stages of gaming, but missing some serious gaps of time over the years. There was a long period where I didn’t even own a computer or a gaming console(from late 90’s to around 2k)

I started on the first Atari when my grandma got me one for Christmas, I played Zork on a PC and my uncle introduced me to doom as a kid, this changed my look at gaming and started my love for FPS games.

Or shooters in general, I played Quake online like crazy for a while and unreal tournament.

Huge gap until Halo came out on the Xbox. And got me back for a while. Then a big gap and got a 360 after it had been out for quite some time(bought it to play force unleashed) and another big gap of non play, got a one and go on and off playing it as titles that interest me come out.

I just started playing doom again 2 days ago since I heard a new one came out. I only played through doom 2016 once when it came out and played on multiplayer 2-3 times and quit playing games again.

I’ve recently been playing more lately though as my kid loves to play with me know. We’ve played through force unleashed at least a dozen times together taking turns.

Final Fantasy X. Bought the remaster for the PS4, and God damn was the voice acting bad for that game lol. Between those silly sphere maze things the bad voice acting and Wakka I had trouble getting more than maybe 30% way thru.

Great game for its time though

Bought Skyrim for my PC. I’m 98% console gamer, but I thought that this would be the game that I would sink all my time into.

Played for a few hours, got lost and trapped in a dungeon with no way out. The enemies blocking my exit are too tough at my level. And that was the first and last rpg I’ll play on PC.

The original Deus Ex. It plays horribly by modern standards even compared to older titles like Half-Life, Duke 3D, and DOOM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back