SUMO - 2018 Nagoya Basho (July 8th - July 22nd)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
2mn4xi0.png

Another sumo tournament has come around, this time in Nagoya, and once again I ran out of time to make a bigger thread for this one. Here's the banzuke for the Nagoya tournament:

205ownd.png

First Ozeki tournament for Tochinoshin. Can't wait to see how he does.

Two guys making their debuts in the top division here, Kotoeko and Meisei.

Kisenosato is sitting this one out as well, which is probably for the best. Obviously the longer he's out the rustier he'll be when he does come back, but it's good to see that he and his stable seem to be taking his recovery seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and check out Robert Mensing's YouTube Channel for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website. There's also a great blog at tachiai.org with news and information.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although quite outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

(again I'll just @ everyone that has posted in recent sumo threads)
@JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy @Edison Carasio @ChainFlow

NHK preview can be found HERE

kintama's preview video:

jason's preview video:

tachiai.org's preview podcast:

Last edited:
2mn4xi0.png

Another sumo tournament has come around, this time in Nagoya, and once again I ran out of time to make a bigger thread for this one. Here's the banzuke for the Nagoya tournament:

205ownd.png

First Ozeki tournament for Tochinoshin. Can't wait to see how he does.

Two guys making their debuts in the top division here, Kotoeko and Meisei.

Kisenosato is sitting this one out as well, which is probably for the best. Obviously the longer he's out the rustier he'll be when he does come back, but it's good to see that he and his stable seem to be taking his recovery seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and check out Robert Mensing's YouTube Channel for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website. There's also a great blog at tachiai.org with news and information.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although quite outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

(again I'll just @ everyone that has posted in recent sumo threads)
@JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy @Edison Carasio @ChainFlow
Thanks for the work you do Fork. I might not be very active in this thread, but it's appreciated.

Thanks for the tag, my friend. I was getting excited today, talking about it with one of my training partners.

Pulling for Tochinoshin again!

watched the NHK preview, and john gunning picked Onosho to win the yusho. while his prediction was obviously somewhat tongue-in-cheek, i had completely forgotten that Onosho was back in the top division finally, and i'm really looking forward to seeing him back again.

day 1 kintamayama:

Last edited:
How many Basho can Kisenosato miss? How do Yokozuna retire?

How many Basho can Kisenosato miss? How do Yokozuna retire?
Fairly sure he holds the record now for bashos missed by a Yokozuna. He hasn't been forced to retire yet because he's Japanese.

Dude should just throw in the towel himself, enough is enough.

3 completely different day 1's for the ozeki. tochinoshin did pretty much textbook tochinoshin sumo for a good start to the tournament. takayasu won, but looked unconvincing, and goeido looked poor.

dangerous stuff for hakuho, tamawashi almost had him.

Fun match between Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku. Good to see Tochinoshin off to a good start as an ozeki so far, Goeido will probably manage an 8-7 again to avoid being demoted

Ishiura looks like he has been successful in cultivating mass since the last Basho.

and got dayum it looked like Hakuho killed Tamawashi!

Last edited:
Very nice cerebral win from Enhou against the bigger opponent.

I thought Kootoshougiku had it for sure at the start of the match. He came out of the tachiai like a bull. Great reversal from Kakuryuuu.

Was Hakuho trying some shenanigans???

Fun day. Endo's read of the henka and kirikaeshi win was great. Hakuho just has Kotoshogiku's number, no matter how good Kotoshogiku looks it's Hakuho who wins. Chiyonokuni's near splits to stay alive and beat Takayasu was awesome.

Tochinoshin is power, so much power

Hattorizakura's losing streak ends at 89

Fun day. Endo's read of the henka and kirikaeshi win was great. Hakuho just has Kotoshogiku's number, no matter how good Kotoshogiku looks it's Hakuho who wins. Chiyonokuni's near splits to stay alive and beat Takayasu was awesome.

Tochinoshin is power, so much power
Chiyonokuni vs Takayasu, best fight so far!

Back