What are the boxing equivalents of DC winning over Stipe?

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Level of talent pool aside, had David Haye beat Wlad K. when they fought, that would have been similar to DC's win in UFC 226. He didn't though, and I'm wondering which boxer had a similar achievement.

Closest thing I can think of was RJJ beating John Ruiz, but Ruiz wasn't the undisputed best of the HW division.

Even if it weren't the LHW/CW/HW divisions, which were the boxers/matches that were similar in nature? Toney over Jirov?

Level of talent pool aside, had David Haye beat Wlad K. when they fought, that would have been similar to DC's win in UFC 226. He didn't though, and I'm wondering which boxer had a similar achievement.

Closest thing I can think of was RJJ beating John Ruiz, but Ruiz wasn't the undisputed best of the HW division.

Even if it weren't the LHW/CW/HW divisions, which were the boxers/matches that were similar in nature? Toney over Jirov?
What ,just guys coming up in weight to win? Champ vs champ?
Floyd did it a bunch of times.
Leonard vs Hagler, maybe?

Perhaps Holmes/Spinks? Though TBH I think Spinks's win over Holmes is more impressive

Perhaps Holmes/Spinks? Though TBH I think Spinks's win over Holmes is more impressive

Well shit, this hits it right on the money. Never knew much about both except that they both lost to Tyson. Thanks!

What ,just guys coming up in weight to win? Champ vs champ?
Floyd did it a bunch of times.
Leonard vs Hagler, maybe?

Technically, Floyd was the challenger who won against the champ of a higher weight class for JLC, DLH and Cotto, so those count. But if I were to nitpick, only the JLC one counts because as I remember, he was the favorite for both DLH and Cotto.

Cormier might've been favored by a lot against Stipe but bec. of his losses against Jones and the age gap, there was still a big question mark. And Stipe was the betting fave before the fight happened.

And I wouldn't count SRL/Hagler being that I suspect it was a work, lol.

Isnt Evander Holyfield the prime example?

Killer at CW and then rise to the top at HW.
Well and the boxing champs from longer ago like Marciano who had an equal weight discrepancy in many fights.

Isnt Evander Holyfield the prime example?

Killer at CW and then rise to the top at HW.
Well and the boxing champs from longer ago like Marciano who had an equal weight discrepancy in many fights.
Evander is the best example
Although didnt he compete in a good heavyweight era?

DC v Stipe in boxing would also need a less than mediocre era with aging fighters

So out of prime champion (at a lower weight) v a prime champion in a not so stacked heavyweight era

Pacquiao vs Bradley 1 or Prince Naz vs Barrera

Can't think of any shock, knockout title wins.

Technically, Floyd was the challenger who won against the champ of a higher weight class for JLC, DLH and Cotto, so those count. But if I were to nitpick, only the JLC one counts because as I remember, he was the favorite for both DLH and Cotto.

Cormier might've been favored by a lot against Stipe but bec. of his losses against Jones and the age gap, there was still a big question mark. And Stipe was the betting fave before the fight happened.
So you're looking for the underdog coming up in weight and winning?

No way. Hagler would never have willingly lost to Leonard.

Even though the first fight was bullshit, I would say Ward vs. Kovalev. Many thought it would be a close fight, but the size and power of Kovalev would prevail. I thought Kovalev won the fight pretty clearly.

I think it’s difficult to liken the result to boxing simply because strength, and to a lesser extent size, has a bigger impact in mma than in boxing

Not a fan of DC as a fighter but what he has achieved in mma, in the relatively short time he’s neen doing it is phenomenal

I think it’s difficult to liken the result to boxing simply because strength, and to a lesser extent size, has a bigger impact in mma than in boxing

These 205lbers in MMA are often only a little bit smaller than the heavyweights though. Cormier weighed in like 245 or something. No serious boxing cruiserweight is going to come in at that weight once the weight limit's removed. Holyfield was 208lbs apparently when he took the title off 240ish lbs Buster Douglas. Size does matter less in boxing but I don't think the size differential was all that much more significant here in Cormier's case than it would be for a Cruiser->Heavy transition for a boxer.

Ward Kova
Cotto Martinez
Spinks Holmes
DLH Sturm

Theres about 10,000 examples. Most famous one is probably leonard hagler i guess

If we're talking HW only ...........

Roy Jones Jr beating Ruiz although Stipe is the best HW so this is tricky.

What LHW / CW has ever beaten an elite HW Champ on their first port of call, I don't even think Holyfield went straight for a title? I think he had one or two then took the title off Dokes.

These 205lbers in MMA are often only a little bit smaller than the heavyweights though. Cormier weighed in like 245 or something. No serious boxing cruiserweight is going to come in at that weight once the weight limit's removed. Holyfield was 208lbs apparently when he took the title off 240ish lbs Buster Douglas. Size does matter less in boxing but I don't think the size differential was all that much more significant here in Cormier's case than it would be for a Cruiser->Heavy transition for a boxer.

It’s more strength that I was getting at. It is more important in mma though Cormier overcomes this because of his wrestling. Honestly though I know very little about wrestling so I am speculating to a point. Obviously size can be just as effective in boxing but more down to reach/length than physical bulk

If we're talking HW only ...........

Roy Jones Jr beating Ruiz although Stipe is the best HW so this is tricky.

What LHW / CW has ever beaten an elite HW Champ on their first port of call, I don't even think Holyfield went straight for a title? I think he had one or two then took the title off Dokes.

You do know that Cormier was a HW long before he was a LHW, he is actually a much better HW than LHW(i'm not even sure he has lost a round at HW)

It’s more strength that I was getting at. It is more important in mma though Cormier overcomes this because of his wrestling. Honestly though I know very little about wrestling so I am speculating to a point. Obviously size can be just as effective in boxing but more down to reach/length than physical bulk
No I agree that size and therefore strength is more important in MMA than it is in boxing generally, I'm just saying that the strength/size difference isn't all that much between Cormier/Stipe to where we can't compare the accomplishment to anything in boxing, Cormier's a really big strong guy and much bigger than boxing's cruiserweights

He was favoured over Castillo, as well. Hagler/Leonard was a very close fight, but I struggle to see how it was a work. It's not in any way absurd to think Leonard won that fight.

Back