What are the boxing equivalents of DC winning over Stipe?

Charles over Louis would be another good example even if Charles had been campaigning at HW for a bit beforehand (he was a natural LHW). Tunney over Dempsey (again, Tunney was a natural LHW, but had plenty of HW experience beforehand).

No I agree that size and therefore strength is more important in MMA than it is in boxing generally, I'm just saying that the strength/size difference isn't all that much between Cormier/Stipe to where we can't compare the accomplishment to anything in boxing, Cormier's a really big strong guy and much bigger than boxing's cruiserweights

I wouldn't say that Cormier is drastically bigger than a guy like Gassiev or even Usyk when you factor in how much fat Cormier carries around.

You do know that Cormier was a HW long before he was a LHW, he is actually a much better HW than LHW(i'm not even sure he has lost a round at HW)

I do.

Roy Jones moving to HW and beating John Ruiz the champ

Isnt Evander Holyfield the prime example?

Killer at CW and then rise to the top at HW.
Well and the boxing champs from longer ago like Marciano who had an equal weight discrepancy in many fights.
Except he beat a fat Buster Douglas. When he fought his Stipe it would have been against Bowe and he dropped that decision.

I think it’s difficult to liken the result to boxing simply because strength, and to a lesser extent size, has a bigger impact in mma than in boxing

Not a fan of DC as a fighter but what he has achieved in mma, in the relatively short time he’s neen doing it is phenomenal
It really makes you wonder how long Jones was juicing and how that might have affected DC's legacy.

He was favoured over Castillo, as well. Hagler/Leonard was a very close fight, but I struggle to see how it was a work. It's not in any way absurd to think Leonard won that fight.
Hagler started late and Ray stole some rounds. I guess they were polarizing personalities, so some have their clear choice, but it could have objectively gone either way.

Toney at heavyweight deserves a mention, moving up from 160 in his late 20’s.

I don't think the real stories behind tgese fights can be replicated. There is some serious history and rivalry, entailing cheating and including not fighting the heavy weight division becasue of a friend.

The stories can be different but not conpared.

I second Dempsey/Tunney I. LHW vs HW champion at a time when both divisions were closer in size, and said heavyweight champ had an aura of invincibility.

DC has had more fights at HW than at LHW, so it's impossible to compare to boxing... Good HW's don't typically drop weight classes.

Closest thing I can think of was RJJ beating John Ruiz, but Ruiz wasn't the undisputed best of the HW division.

Only reasonable comparison.

Some of these comparisons..Leonard/Hagler etc give me the D.D.T.s.

I mean is Stipe supposed to be Hagler in that analogy? LOL

Guy that lost by ko to Stephan Struve

UFC hw division is a joke and everyone knows it. Cormier was a wolf amongst sheep. Though am happy for him.

Not to mention just comparing the majesty and importance of a Leonard/Haglar to that joke of a UFC hw division. <45>

Charles over Louis would be another good example even if Charles had been campaigning at HW for a bit beforehand (he was a natural LHW). Tunney over Dempsey (again, Tunney was a natural LHW, but had plenty of HW experience beforehand).
Tunney/Dempsey immediately sprung to mind, stole my thunder, nice.

Back