The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

People are stupid and NASCAR is stupid. Haley was clearly ahead of Sadler and Larson.

People are stupid and NASCAR is stupid. Haley was clearly ahead of Sadler and Larson.

Did you watch the post race explanation? Many years ago, the drivers pressured NASCAR to make it a penalty to pass by going below the double yellow line because it was causing so many crashes when they get to the corner. The rule was drafted and agreed to by the drivers that the only excuse to go below that line was if another car forces a driver to go there to avoid a collision. During the race, the driver is required to give the positions back or get a pit road penalty. The rule has been in effect for about 20 years and drivers are reminded of it at the drivers meeting before every race. Haley had plenty of room to pass without crossing the line so he wasn't forced down there. He has no excuse and NASCAR had to apply the penalty.

Lots of problems in F1 this weekend at Silverstone. A Toro Rosso had the left front suspension break under braking in the third practice session sending the car into the wall and almost rolling it. Both Williams cars ended their qualifying session in the gravel traps in the first qualifying session. Williams might as well close up shop and save some money.

Did you watch the post race explanation? Many years ago, the drivers pressured NASCAR to make it a penalty to pass by going below the double yellow line because it was causing so many crashes when they get to the corner. The rule was drafted and agreed to by the drivers that the only excuse to go below that line was if another car forces a driver to go there to avoid a collision. During the race, the driver is required to give the positions back or get a pit road penalty. The rule has been in effect for about 20 years and drivers are reminded of it at the drivers meeting before every race. Haley had plenty of room to pass without crossing the line so he wasn't forced down there. He has no excuse and NASCAR had to apply the penalty.

He was ahead of the 42 and the 1 when he went under the yellow.

He was ahead of the 42 and the 1 when he went under the yellow.

It only matters that he went under the yellow line during the pass. They don't judge whether he is ahead or not, only that he went out of bounds. All he had to do was keep the car in bounds.

Lots of problems in F1 this weekend at Silverstone. A Toro Rosso had the left front suspension break under braking in the third practice session sending the car into the wall and almost rolling it. Both Williams cars ended their qualifying session in the gravel traps in the first qualifying session. Williams might as well close up shop and save some money.
Aside from the big three no one seems to be having a particularly stellar season.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr must have watched Days of Thunder. He's taken out most of the field in two incidents.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr must have watched Days of Thunder. He's taken out most of the field in two incidents.

Then got taken out by Larson. NASCARma is funny that way.

This is one of the better British GPs I can remember

Hamilton goes from pole to last to second after a poor start and a little help from Raikonnen. This week the stewards gave out a 10 second pit penalty to Raikonnen after only giving a 5 second penalty last week.

great race. lol at hammy calling what happened 'tactic' by ferrari like it was intentional.
kimi just came in too hot, locked up and spun him.
hammy did an amazing drive and still came in second.
good stuff

great race. lol at hammy calling what happened 'tactic' by ferrari like it was intentional.
kimi just came in too hot, locked up and spun him.
hammy did an amazing drive and still came in second.
good stuff

So you don't think Ferrari would intentionally take out a Mercedes 2 weeks in a row? I suggest that the 5 second penalty emboldened them. Last week, they knew they would have to pit early because of tires so they had Vettel cut Bottas' tire knowing that Bottas would have a slow trip back to the pit which would allow Vettel to get by him while pitting early. The penalty stop should be just that. On a penalty, they shouldn't be allowed to service the car meaning Raikonnen would have had to make another stop to change tires.

nah, not buying it.
no conspiracy theories for me.
despite the skill of these guys, the finesse involved in spinning another car without
fatally wounding your own is beyond percentages.
but I do agree the time penalty should be a separate stop from a service stop.

Hamilton Neymar Jr. even skipping the post race interviews like a little child. Minute something doesn't go his way starts crying and badmouthing everyone & anything. Can't fucking stand him.

Hamilton Neymar Jr. even skipping the post race interviews like a little child. Minute something doesn't go his way starts crying and badmouthing everyone & anything. Can't fucking stand him.
He went from last to second. If you listened to how he was talking you would have thought he finished in the bottom 5. I get you want to win but still

nah, not buying it.
no conspiracy theories for me.
despite the skill of these guys, the finesse involved in spinning another car without
fatally wounding your own is beyond percentages.
but I do agree the time penalty should be a separate stop from a service stop.

I always found it very easy to do. Racing is driving on the ragged edge of control. Any slight touch can put a vehicle over the edge. As racers say, 8 tires turn better than 4. The slight contact that puts the vehicle on the outside out of control will aid in controlling the vehicle on the inside. In Formula One, if you are willing to sacrifice a front wing, you can easily cut a competitor's rear tire. The tricky part is making it look like you didn't intend to do it.

I always found it very easy to do. Racing is driving on the ragged edge of control. Any slight touch can put a vehicle over the edge. As racers say, 8 tires turn better than 4. The slight contact that puts the vehicle on the outside out of control will aid in controlling the vehicle on the inside. In Formula One, if you are willing to sacrifice a front wing, you can easily cut a competitor's rear tire. The tricky part is making it look like you didn't intend to do it.
sure, on full body cars its very easy. but on F1 cars with all the wings and aero fascia, the slightest contact almost always results in broken carbon fiber and/or punctures. since ferrari is also very interested in constructor's points,
I think it's highly unlikely they would have Kimi spin Hammy intentionally and risk crashing out.

Back