How do you deal with the "helpful bro" rolling partner?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The one who, just as you are locking in a submission, suddenly "stop" resisting and tell you which way to turn and move to finish the sub.

Its so freaking annoying!! Obviously I don't mind at all if one of the coaches or the black belts does this to me, in fact I appreciate it, but someone my rank or BELOW? I mean what the hell??

I'm sure you've all experienced the helpful bro, how do you make them stop without outright telling them to shut up? Subbing them sure as hell doesn't work as they make it seem like they "gave it to you"

nobody ever did that to me really but if they do, just execute the finish while ignoring them...then say "zip it"

I give them the presh.

Porrada all day... everyday

Kind of annoys me too but usually happens when the roll in general is easy effort I feel? Like you aren't trying to kill each other. If you go in and say "hey is it okay if we go hard" they won't have an excuse to stop resisting just for the submission.

Just communicate with them and ask them not to. You don’t even have to be annoyed or upset when asking them either.

Just be like, “hey man can you please not do that while we roll ? I want to just try and get this on my own”

You can tell them to show you “After” the roll.

Just hold it till they stop talking, like you're pinning down your kid nephew, Then finish.

Make sure to maintain eye contact at all times.

Last edited:
Ignore them and sub them and tell them to roll. After all the only thing holding you back is time, don’t let them waste it

if-datch-gway-5b4423.jpg

you can tell when hepful bros helping his ego, and when someone is really trying to help you....

helpfuls bros come in whte and blue belts mostly...

I personnally always wait after the sub to say something about it, like talking about some adjustments so the sub would have been tighter, if I get out and still remember the situation at the end of the roll I would also talk about it.

This situation happened only a couple of times to me. I don't really care because I focus a lot about control and being able to put myself into dominant positions. I sure love to get a tap, but it doesn't really frustrates me when I'm cuckhold by a guy giving me instructions instead of defending the sub. I just take the instruction into my bag of knowledge and get on with my life.

But I think it's a lot about your gym culture, our coach does a little speach about every month that rolling time is for rolling, not for drilling and talking. He also talked about the ''mansplaining'' that was going on when guys roll with girls. Just roll without using your strenght, you're not there to give them techniques.

I try to deal with that the same way I deal with people that ask dozens of of questions on grappling forums about every aspect of grappling except actual questions about grappling; I try to ignore and just go on with my life.

If were just having a friendly roll during open mat and Im with a beginner/white belt that doesnt have a clue, I might take note of a few of the worst mistakes and show them a few better choices after finishing them.

Doing it during a live roll is dumb, you cant really learn from mistakes if someone stops you to show how to do it right.

As a purple belt whose trained at the same school for 7 years, there isn't anyone on the mat that does this to me, and there hasnt been since I was a fresh blue belt.

The one who, just as you are locking in a submission, suddenly "stop" resisting and tell you which way to turn and move to finish the sub.

Its so freaking annoying!! Obviously I don't mind at all if one of the coaches or the black belts does this to me, in fact I appreciate it, but someone my rank or BELOW? I mean what the hell??

I'm sure you've all experienced the helpful bro, how do you make them stop without outright telling them to shut up? Subbing them sure as hell doesn't work as they make it seem like they "gave it to you"
Don’t stop. Just pretend you don’t hear him and finish the sub.

Just hold it, like you're pinning down your kid nephew, till they stop talking. Then finish.

Make sure to maintain eye contact at all times.
You have to stay 500 feet away from schools dont you?

I just them say their peace and save face while knowing inside that the submission was mine.

You have to stay 500 feet away from schools dont you?

Typical degenerate moderne, unable to connect or express fellow feeling or affection or even any contact at all with other humanoid organisms in any way without interpreting it as a lascivious propositioning.

plebsmall.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t try to correct etiquette anymore. I just try to avoid certain people. And if I can’t, it’s much easier to just smile, nod, and wait for the round to end. I mean, what’s the crime here anyways. You don’t get to tap someone?

You should finish the sub and make them tap...crank it a little further.. if he complains, say "I expected you to be defending and not go limp

Back